What did you do with your 4th Gen this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T_Unit114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got my $50 wheel to wheel steps mounted. Much more stable than the old no name ones that were on the truck. I can basically reach anything in my toolbox now from the side, and they tuck up nice while offering a larger foothold. Now she just needs a bath

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jbyron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally drove it after reinstalling the maxtrac 872171F 2.5” kit on my 2013 regular cab 2wd. Getting those springs to sit inside the bottom rubber isolator while installing is no joke, at least on mine. No clunks or noise and it rides nice and smooth. Also installed mevotech UCAs while I was at it. Posting so others can search and find if they are deciding on this kit. Will update once I have my wheels on (20x9 +0) with stock tires (for now). Again, posting so people can find pics if they’re interested in this kit. Thanks all!

BF081000-FDF3-4FC2-B60D-5B206C5B5F5F.jpeg

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed a tinted Recon LED 3rd brake light I picked up with the Father’s Day discount Recon was running... now it finally matches the OLED tails and it looks great. (The cargo lights are super bright) I also ordered a set of the upper & lower rear control arms from Apoc Industries, they just showed up yesterday. I put them in the garage for later, went outside to go to the gym, started the truck up and the CEL kicked on and it was running rough/stumbling pretty bad at idle.

Scan says: Cylinder 7 misfire. Son of a...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Did you explain WHERE you got the hood from??? and how it matched your paint?
And if you don't mind, how much was the whole project cost??

Good Morning,

I found the hood through Craigslist of all places. Wasn't necessarily looking for one, but when I saw the opportunity to snatch it.... I did, and took it as a sign to go with the Mod. Seller had the hood, grill assembly, and bumper all available, and all were in great shape. It was pure luck that it was black. If it wasn't, I might not have acted as quickly. I did not purchase the bumper.

Horizontal grill insert was picked up locally as well through Offer-up.

New hood struts..... O'Reilly Autoparts.

Anything else used I already had.

Hood....... $250

2500 Grill .......$100

New Hood Struts..... $35

Cash out....... @ $400

I will turn around and sell the complete original 1500 hood, grill assembly, and honeycomb insert for a 2500 grill, as well as extra set of hood hinges etc. So whatever I get for them will only lower the actual cost. I'm guessing $200 would be a conservative figure for it all, of course more is always better. That being the case total actual cost could be between $100-200. Not a bad deal considering I got the look I was going for.

Biggest savings I would say is the fact that there was no "repainting" involved.

Had I not liked the end result, I would need to replace the facia on the top of the bumper and repaint it which would have run @ $200-250. So all said and done, it was a $200 gamble which I'm happy with.

Actual cash out long term......@ $200

"New", the swap would have been over $1800.

Last edited:

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
Good Morning,

I found the hood through Craigslist of all places. Wasn't necessarily looking for one, but when I saw the opportunity to snatch it.... I did, and took it as a sign to go with the Mod. Seller had the hood, grill assembly, and bumper all available, and all were in great shape. It was pure luck that it was black. If it wasn't, I might not have acted as quickly. I did not purchase the bumper.

Horizontal grill insert was picked up locally as well through Offer-up.

New hood struts..... O'Reilly Autoparts.

Anything else used I already had.

Hood....... $250

2500 Grill .......$100

New Hood Struts..... $35

Cash out....... @ $400

I will turn around and sell the complete original 1500 hood, grill assembly, and honeycomb insert for a 2500 grill, as well as extra set of hood hinges etc. So whatever I get for them will only lower the actual cost. I'm guessing $200 would be a conservative figure for it all, of course more is always better. That being the case total actual cost could be between $100-200. Not a bad deal considering I got the look I was going for.

Biggest savings I would say is the fact that there was no "repainting" involved.

Had I not liked the end result, I would need to replace the facia on the top of the bumper and repaint it which would have run @ $200-250. So all said and done, it was a $200 gamble which I'm happy with.

Actual cash out long term......@ $200

"New", the swap would have been over $1800.

WELL you did an outstanding job and had a little luck going your way... LOVE the results... :waytogo::waytogo::waytogo::waytogo::waytogo::waytogo:

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mostly the styling. I also like the R/T hoods as well, but whenever see a 2500/3500 I cant help but to think..... "Wow, that hood looks great on that Ram" Wonder why it was never offered on the 1500's? Did multiple searches and found lots of interest and those inquiring about doing a swap, but could never find evidence that one had actually been done.

I like the fact that it also sits slightly higher which will give me some room in the engine bay for some ideas I have coming up, and having the room would be a plus.
What all was involved in the grill portion of this swap?

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
This week it didn't rain but then again I didn't wash my truck...... I did however install a remote starter that took 7 whole minutes to hook up and program, yea 7. Found out have the infamous busted manifold bolts so I'm shopping for headers. Probably going to go with the BBK's if anyone has experience with these I would appreciate some info. Thanks ahead of time.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
What all was involved in the grill portion of this swap?

The grill is for the most part a direct bolt on. Problem is, without trimming part of the top bumper facia, it will sit about 3/8-1/2" higher than the radiator support where the (4) top bolts fasten to the support.

By trimming the facia, I was able to eliminate that issue. Do so with caution. As mentioned it took me 2 hours to get the first side done. I wanted a clean OEM look and minimal material removed. The other side only took 5 mins once I knew how much to remove, and where.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven’t done anything yet this week, but the weekend . . .

thanks to @revitupmoto33 for the Icon rear springs, @Nick@GotExhaust for the Carven Progressive, @17RedSled for the door handles (bed liner rattle can painted to match the fender flares), and Amazon for the Boom mat (so long as the doors are apart swapping the handles) and fender flare edge trim.

Gonna be a good weekend.

189C9B79-239D-4AC8-B20B-691E9B487328.jpeg

mrOAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This week it didn't rain but then again I didn't wash my truck...... I did however install a remote starter that took 7 whole minutes to hook up and program, yea 7. Found out have the infamous busted manifold bolts so I'm shopping for headers. Probably going to go with the BBK's if anyone has experience with these I would appreciate some info. Thanks ahead of time.

7 minutes?!?! [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] What remote starter did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Traded my gen4 2500 in today for a 2020 1500.
Say bye to the Blue Mule and hello to the new 2020 Bighorn.
Now the new one needs a cool name
Blue Mule

Congrats! I'm sure you'll come up with something good in no time.

I suppose you could just call it the Black Ram :) Then you could toast it with it's namesake....

89133-big.jpg

WildWilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks. I'm pleased as well.

Yes, the body lines match-up and flow as Ram intended. Just took a bit of time with a dremel as I only wanted to remove minimal material to make it work. Once one side got dialed in (took about 2 hours of multiple little cuts / grinds, matching the other side only took 5 mins.

The 2500 bumper does look great, but thats already been addressed in previous post as to my choice.

I would eventually like to make the "gilled slats on the upper left & right side' to be functional. Have to figure a way to direct water away from any electrical (fuse box) etc, if it were to drain inward.

This is really cool, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to do this myself now. What all did you end up having to dremel to get it to fit right?

WildWilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Been drawing blanks the past couple months in coming up with a name for my girl.

FloJo popped into my head though, after the fastest woman in the world Florence Joyner, being that this truck is much speedier than my old 2nd gen.

Still haven't decided though!

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Congrats! I'm sure you'll come up with something good in no time.

I suppose you could just call it the Black Ram :) Then you could toast it with it's namesake....

89133-big.jpg
Never seen that before

Blue Mule

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
This is really cool, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to do this myself now. What all did you end up having to dremel to get it to fit right?

Thank you as well. I've been wanting to write up a "How I did it" when I get more time to help anyone out who is thinking of doing the same, and lessons learned by.

To answer your question though, It turned out to a roughly a 2"x 6" area of facia removed from each corner. The trick is to remove enough to allow the corners of the grill to "seat" but yet not too much where it looks like a chainsaw was used.

I've seen a few variations of 1500 bumper facias, so not sure if the same would be needed for all, but this is what was needed for what I have. I cant see how it would be drastically different though. (Proceed at your own discretion). As mentioned in a previous post, "start small and gradually remove more material as needed. I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish this, but I found that a Dremel was my best friend.

Here's a few rough pics to give you and idea during the process.

I'll be glad to help if you or anyone has any questions etc.

Note also I needed to trim the Grill bottom attachment point as the 2500's are not lined up the same. I could have removed it from the grill, but really didn't want to Frankenstein it. It was a good path to go.

IMG_0301.JPG

Transposing the area to trim to the right side. A "China Marker" comes in helpful.

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0307.jpg

The aftermath. Top is whats left of the right side as I took constant cuts & grinds. Bottom is the left side once I had a pattern to follow.

IMG_0319.JPG

WildWilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you as well. I've been wanting to write up a "How I did it" when I get more time to help anyone out who is thinking of doing the same, and lessons learned by.

To answer your question though, It turned out to a roughly a 2"x 6" area of facia removed from each corner. The trick is to remove enough to allow the corners of the grill to "seat" but yet not too much where it looks like a chainsaw was used.

I've seen a few variations of 1500 bumper facias, so not sure if the same would be needed for all, but this is what was needed for what I have. I cant see how it would be drastically different though. (Proceed at your own discretion). As mentioned in a previous post, "start small and gradually remove more material as needed. I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish this, but I found that a Dremel was my best friend.

Here's a few rough pics to give you and idea during the process.

I'll be glad to help if you or anyone has any questions etc.

Note also I needed to trim the Grill bottom attachment point as the 2500's are not lined up the same. I could have removed it from the grill, but really didn't want to Frankenstein it. It was a good path to go.

View attachment 213216

Transposing the area to trim to the right side. A "China Marker" comes in helpful.

View attachment 213217

View attachment 213218

The aftermath. Top is whats left of the right side as I took constant cuts & grinds. Bottom is the left side once I had a pattern to follow.

View attachment 213219

This is great. Thank you so much!