What is Standard Audio System on a 2020-21 Laramie 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking into trading in my '16 1500 Laramie on '20. Did a search, maybe not enough, couldn't find any info on the standard sound system. My '16 has the Alpine which I have been very happy with. Big Horn lists a 9 speaker amplified which I assume is the Alpine?

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The base sound system on the new 1500s is a six-speaker with no external amp. Then there's the Alpine nine-speaker upgrade and the Harmon Kardon nineteen-speaker upgrade which both have external amps.

The system you'll get depends upon which model and options you choose.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I cannot 100% sure but I thought the Laramie came with the 9 speaker

Edit: Per Standard Equipment on RamTrucks.com

AUDIO & UCONNECT® MULTIMEDIA
SOUND SYSTEMS
  • Uconnect® 4 with 8.4-Inch Display
SOUND SYSTEM COMPONENTS
  • 8.4-Inch Touchscreen Display
  • Accent Color Shark-Fin Antenna
  • Apple CarPlay®
  • Audio-Jack Input for Mobile Devices
  • For More Info, Call 800-643-2112
  • Full Function Media Hub with 2-USB Plus Aux Port
  • Google Android Auto™
  • GPS Antenna Input
  • Integrated Center Stack Radio
  • Integrated Voice Command with Bluetooth®
  • Media Hub with 2 Charge-Only USB Ports
  • Remote USB Port
  • Remote USB Port - Charge Only
  • SiriusXM® Radio Trial Subscription
  • SiriusXM® with 6-Month Radio Sub Call 800-643-2112
  • Steering-Wheel-Mounted Audio Controls
  • USB Host Flip
SPEAKER SYSTEMS
  • 9 Amplified Speakers with Subwoofer

Last edited:

Highroller62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the Alpine system 9 speakers plus sub on a 2019 Laramie with the 12" Uconnect system, do you guys get the surround sound option under Audio menu?

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Alpine has sirr

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the Alpine system 9 speakers plus sub on a 2019 Laramie with the 12" Uconnect system, do you guys get the surround sound option under Audio menu?
Sorry for the previous post it was an oops. My Laramie with Alpine has surround sound option.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Highroller62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for the previous post it was an oops. My Laramie with Alpine has surround sound option.

The surround option comes and goes on mine, one minute it's selectable the next it's not. My Truck is still under warranty, Dodge is replacing the entire 12" screen and the Complete Uconnect system. It's a real bummer the second day I had the truck the Uconnect system started giving me problems.

DaleSander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magic280z at least you are getting help.. I have a 2020 Laramie with the 8.4 NAV and Alpine system. No surround available on Sirius (So, half the speakers do not get used) and the answer I have been given by Ram is "that isn't supported on your model of stereo" I can turn on surround under any other mode... really stupid!

Long Range

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That said,

the 19 speaker is phenomenal
Tthe 0ne in the truck I drove didn't sound very good. I actuallyhad the keys to a 2021 Laramie with the Alpine 9 speaker and 8.4 screen W/Nav and thought it sounded better. we thought it had better clarity and sharpness at a reasonable sound level and well balanced sound throughout the cab. The H/K seamed to be all up front and actually sounded kinda flat. I set both the balance/fadar and the equalizers settings the same. any ides because I would really like to have the H/K system but would be sick if it sounded like the one I listened to.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Tthe 0ne in the truck I drove didn't sound very good. I actuallyhad the keys to a 2021 Laramie with the Alpine 9 speaker and 8.4 screen W/Nav and thought it sounded better. we thought it had better clarity and sharpness at a reasonable sound level and well balanced sound throughout the cab. The H/K seamed to be all up front and actually sounded kinda flat. I set both the balance/fadar and the equalizers settings the same. any ides because I would really like to have the H/K system but would be sick if it sounded like the one I listened to.

It seems to be hit or miss with the HK system. Some love it and some hate it. I would test in a different truck and see if it is better, worse or the same. Maybe a couple different trucks.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
The key it to ensure your radio comes with HD radio. The rules out the base 8.4. I opted for the “base” unit which is the 8.4 which does. It have HD but that works for me. Others wish they have the HD in which case you will need one of the upgraded systems.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
Just got my 2022 Bighorn with the 8.4 and 9-speaker system. Sounds incredible through Pandora on surround...switch over to XM and it's horrible. Have to physically turn surround off to make XM sound good again. I don't completely understand the issue that XM doesn't support surround or that the 8.4 stereo doesn't support surround on XM. I'm not going to pay for XM if I have to manually adjust the EQ every time I turn it on. On my old Tradesman with the base stereo XM came in perfectly.

Also, where are the 9 speakers? I see 2 on the dash, 1 center dash, 2 front door, 2 rear door. Where are the other two speakers and the sub? Are all speakers Alpine? Usually the first thing I do with a new truck is upgrade the speakers.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
magic280z at least you are getting help.. I have a 2020 Laramie with the 8.4 NAV and Alpine system. No surround available on Sirius (So, half the speakers do not get used) and the answer I have been given by Ram is "that isn't supported on your model of stereo" I can turn on surround under any other mode... really stupid!
yeah got the same answer yet the wifes 2019 cherroke trailhawk with the 9 speaker 8.4 does have sirius surround ??? almost half the price of my truck and she gets it ,i think they just dont want the hassle of trying to figure out why?

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Just got my 2022 Bighorn with the 8.4 and 9-speaker system. Sounds incredible through Pandora on surround...switch over to XM and it's horrible. Have to physically turn surround off to make XM sound good again. I don't completely understand the issue that XM doesn't support surround or that the 8.4 stereo doesn't support surround on XM. I'm not going to pay for XM if I have to manually adjust the EQ every time I turn it on. On my old Tradesman with the base stereo XM came in perfectly.

Also, where are the 9 speakers? I see 2 on the dash, 1 center dash, 2 front door, 2 rear door. Where are the other two speakers and the sub? Are all speakers Alpine? Usually the first thing I do with a new truck is upgrade the speakers.
there are 3 on the dash left right and center 2 in the front doors left right 2 in the rear doors 2 in the ceiling in the back and your sub .total 9 speakers plus sub. and if you wanted to make it 12 speakers just replace the 3 in the front with 2 ways and voila you have 12 lol

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
there are 3 on the dash left right and center 2 in the front doors left right 2 in the rear doors 2 in the ceiling in the back and your sub .total 9 speakers plus sub
Thank you. Didn't think to look at the ceiling for speakers. Do you know if all 9 are Alpine?

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Thank you. Didn't think to look at the ceiling for speakers. Do you know if all 9 are Alpine?
not sure about the rear ceiling ones could be no name but the rest are alpine

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
It's weird that there is virtually no official information from Ram about the 9-speaker system. When you go to Ram and build a truck, there is no description for the speaker upgrade option.