what is the uConnect deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Virtualnorm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I currently have the basic tradesman truck, was wanting to upgrade the OEM radio and thought i would just pick up the unonnect and do a quick upgrade. They seem to sell for more than an aftermarket with 10x the features.

What am i missing here? What am i missing???

Any source for getting these reasonable? or am I SOL and need to go aftermarket?

thanks..

Sdpadrez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can usually find this on the for sale section of this site or car-parts.com you can also find a pretty good deal on these. You are essentially buying oem to keep everything clean and retain whole integration of the system still talking to each other without having to buy additional pieces to make it work like you would need with aftermarket.

OP
OP
V

Virtualnorm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is exactly what I am trying to do, i do not want/need anything special. I just want to have the OEM look but have bluetooth. Without a cheezy adapter in the console.
Thanks.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I currently have the basic tradesman truck, was wanting to upgrade the OEM radio and thought i would just pick up the unonnect and do a quick upgrade. They seem to sell for more than an aftermarket with 10x the features.

What am i missing here? What am i missing???

Any source for getting these reasonable? or am I SOL and need to go aftermarket?

thanks..
A lot of vehicle features are integrated with radio. Several aftermarket radios support some of the features, but they will miss odd ball factory functions like renaming a trailer with the factory brake controller. Some aftermarket radios can be a challenge to update to accommodate modifications and feature changes to the truck down the road.

The 5" factory radios can be found used for very little money and get you factory bluetooth with minimal extra parts. It gives you access to more settings than the 3", and supports adding several features to the truck including like auto dimming mirror and auto headlights.

The factory 8.4" requires more parts and effort compared to the 5", but may be desirable even if you don't want a larger screen or NAV as it (or a 3rd party that emulates it) is a prerequisite to add vehicle features such as auto AC and heated seats.

The large Android based units are popular, but not all are created equal and even the good ones can be a bit hit or miss.

Traditional name brand units tend to be solid, and there can be some interesting features. AlpineHalo9 adds aftermarket soft accessory switches. You'll see members with lots of different radios, though the Alpine X009-RAM was popular for a while.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't believe you can make the Uconnect work if your truck didn't have it originally. I know quite a few people on here have tried it and even called Uconnect customer service and it still doesn't work. You aren't missing anything if you don't have it.