What Is This Part and Why Do I See Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firefight1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is towards the front of a 2017 ram 1500.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what this part is.

And why would there be oil on it, mostly in one corner?

20210109_230458.jpg 20210109_230510.jpg

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Trans pan

Could be leaking. Check and apply the proper torque to the pan bolts. Clean off the entire pan and watch for more leakers.

I would check the fluid level. But its very important to follow the step by step on the ZF trans fluid check procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
it could be from the TMU which is on the side of the transmission. You would have to crawl under the truck further to see if the oil leakage is further up the side of the transmission.

OP
OP
Firefight1981

Firefight1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure what the issue is yet, but if anything transmission related, do you think it woild be covered under powertrain warranty?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Possibly?

There is an updated version of the transfer tubes.The updated version gets rid of the O-ring tube,and replaces it with a rubber encapsulated tube.I got the updated versions when i replaced the 8 speed in my truck a few years ago.Local Dodge dealer partsman knew about them,and clued me into the updated tubes.I think you need a good partsman to know about them,and find them in Mopars parts directory though,as they don't seem to be easy to find.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Taking to Dodge dealer this week. Will post their response.

Hello!

I stumbled across your thread and saw that you're currently working with one of our dealers. If you need any additional support while working with them, please feel free to send our RamCares team a private message with your current mileage & VIN! Thanks.

Courtney
Ram Cares

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can save you the trouble. Their response will be " that's normal, working as designed". :rolleyes::D
And then when it burns up from low fluid they won't cover it because the fluid leak wasn't fixed.Sad but true.

OP
OP
Firefight1981

Firefight1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took truck to dealer today.

Transmission pan cover has a leak.
They are replacing it along with new gasket, fluid flush, filter, the whole kit and kaboodle.
Covered under powertrain warranty...except a $50 filter. I'm good with that.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is there another filter? Filter is integral to the pan.

Good that it's only costing you $50, but IMO, it should cost you $0.

Glad it is being fixed.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took truck to dealer today.

Transmission pan cover has a leak.
They are replacing it along with new gasket, fluid flush, filter, the whole kit and kaboodle.
Covered under powertrain warranty...except a $50 filter. I'm good with that.
Not really sure how they can charge you for a filter when it's part of the actual pan assembly. In other words the filter is built into the pan on the 8 speed transmission which is what you have according to the picture you posted. This means there is no (filter) other than the one built into the pan for the dealer to replace. $50 isn't a big deal but it's just another example of dealers charging for things that make no sense. I would suggest asking them why you were charged for a filter when it's part of the actual pan assembly that's actually covered under warranty but that's just me. I have little patience for dealers and their tactics.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Firefight1981

Firefight1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure about what the filter is specifically for. I will pick up the truck today ir tomorrow once it's done, and will ask for an itemized list of what was replaced.

Yes the truck has the 8 speed tranny.

Yep...not a fan of dealerships, especially some of the salespeople. It's an industry that gets a bad rep due to often sleezy sales tactics.