What motor oil and oil filter do you use and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No offense, but what kind of retard of a vet would say bath the thing in used motor oil. Dogs lick their fur, and used motor oil is poisonous. I'd get a new vet. Cool story though, I love German shepards.

I tried that once with a cat, the cat lost and eye and it was infected bad. I was a truck driver, drove the poor scared ******* home 6 hours, man hard trip. Took it to the vet, in the end all I could offer the little sucker was a humane death, vet said it was too far gone. That day did not go to plan, but hey I tried.
At least you gave it your best shot.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So now we are repeating that putting used motor oil on a dog is a good idea? For F's sake man, LOOK it up, their are many treatment for mange that wont be dangerous to the dog. Dog's lick themselves people. One of those treatments is Olive Oil, now doesn't that sound a little more like a good idea then poisonous motor oil. Even new motor oil would be a better idea then something that has had 100's of gallons of byproduct of gas burn ram through it. I'm not saying use new motor oil, just saying that would be a better option then used motor oil. I feel I owe it to all the doggies out there, don't do this to your dog. Use the internet, there are so many treatments for mange it is hard to count.

link

Some people claim motor oil will get rid of mange mites. However, this horrible mange treatment method is extremely dangerous and harmful to your pet’s health and well-being.

Q-Based Healthcare does not recommend or support this method of mange mite treatment in any way. The motor oil can enter the animal’s blood stream through open wounds and lesions and can result in respiratory failure, cancer or even death.

Motor oil is known to have been used as a home remedy for mange. In some cases motor oil will kill the mange mites however it will not be able to help with the mange mite eggs. Once the mange mite eggs hatch they would have mange all over again.

Also motor oil can be very toxic to your pet if it enters the blood stream. Motor can cause convulsions, vomiting, constipation, lethargy, diarrhea, asthmatic breathing and even death. Here at Q-Based Healthcare, we strongly suggest against the use of motor oil as a treatment for mange. We do offer a completely safe and nontoxic mange solution.

We do offer our PetsBestRx Mitactin Spray and our PetsBestRx Sulfinex Cream for the treatment of mange. They are effective against demodectic mange, sarcoptic mange, notoedric mange and walking dandruff. We also offer environmental products to sanitize your home. These products are our PuraCleenRx Disinfectant Spray, PuraCleenRx Xtreme Cleen and All Stop DE-Stroy Pest Control Eco Dust. The Eco Dust is a complete safe and nontoxic food grade diatomaceous earth powder.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is probably a weird question but since I’m making the switch to Amsoil SS 5w20, would I be better off using the last brand new Wix Xp filter I have, for my first run of this stuff, or just use the Amsoil filter I just bought with my new oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octane

Reaction score
So now we are repeating that putting used motor oil on a dog is a good idea? For F's sake man, LOOK it up, their are many treatment for mange that wont be dangerous to the dog. Dog's lick themselves people. One of those treatments is Olive Oil, now doesn't that sound a little more like a good idea then poisonous motor oil. Even new motor oil would be a better idea then something that has had 100's of gallons of byproduct of gas burn ram through it. I'm not saying use new motor oil, just saying that would be a better option then used motor oil. I feel I owe it to all the doggies out there, don't do this to your dog. Use the internet, there are so many treatments for mange it is hard to count.

link

Some people claim motor oil will get rid of mange mites. However, this horrible mange treatment method is extremely dangerous and harmful to your pet’s health and well-being.

Q-Based Healthcare does not recommend or support this method of mange mite treatment in any way. The motor oil can enter the animal’s blood stream through open wounds and lesions and can result in respiratory failure, cancer or even death.

Motor oil is known to have been used as a home remedy for mange. In some cases motor oil will kill the mange mites however it will not be able to help with the mange mite eggs. Once the mange mite eggs hatch they would have mange all over again.

Also motor oil can be very toxic to your pet if it enters the blood stream. Motor can cause convulsions, vomiting, constipation, lethargy, diarrhea, asthmatic breathing and even death. Here at Q-Based Healthcare, we strongly suggest against the use of motor oil as a treatment for mange. We do offer a completely safe and nontoxic mange solution.

We do offer our PetsBestRx Mitactin Spray and our PetsBestRx Sulfinex Cream for the treatment of mange. They are effective against demodectic mange, sarcoptic mange, notoedric mange and walking dandruff. We also offer environmental products to sanitize your home. These products are our PuraCleenRx Disinfectant Spray, PuraCleenRx Xtreme Cleen and All Stop DE-Stroy Pest Control Eco Dust. The Eco Dust is a complete safe and nontoxic food grade diatomaceous earth powder.
I agree,but this is the 21st century.We have options now.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What oil and filter? Unicorn oil in 5w30....Oil:The most overengineered fluid on earth.

Unicorn oil is very expensive since it is harvested over the rainbow near the fountain of youth and the big pot of gold. Getting past the pissed off leprechan poses a huge hazard as well. I get my really good oil from Santa after he comes back from his new addition: The South Pole Operations facility he just opened recently. He was reluctant to open this second site because he thought it sounded crazy to do so. After his shrink placated his fears that he was merely "Bi-Polar", he went on and opened the new facility, albeit on a part time basis! ;) Don't ask me where my filters come from!

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Unicorn oil is very expensive since it is harvested over the rainbow near the fountain of youth and the big pot of gold. Getting past the pissed off leprechan poses a huge hazard as well. I get my really good oil from Santa after he comes back from his new addition: The South Pole Operations facility he just opened recently. He was reluctant to open this second site because he thought it sounded crazy to do so. After his shrink placated his fears that he was merely "Bi-Polar", he went on and opened the new facility, albeit on a part time basis! ;) Don't ask me where my filters come from!
[emoji1787] that is the most thought out F*U smarta$$ response ever. Please keep going.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Octane

Reaction score
I just follow the yellow brick road and buy it from some fat bald man selling stuff behind a curtain.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

link

I don't think he's suggesting that somebody do that now he was talking about "back in the day". My grandpa was put on chewing tobacco when he was a kid because he had worms and it worked! That being said we've come a long way on some things and devolved like a **** on others..............

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't think he's suggesting that somebody do that now he was talking about "back in the day". My grandpa was put on chewing tobacco when he was a kid because he had worms and it worked! That being said we've come a long way on some things and devolved like a **** on others..............

Yeah for sure, it worked that time and cool that. Just saying moving forward I want to be a voice for the dogs instead of everyone just saying yeah let's toss used oil on the dogs. I bet when that started engine oils where a lot different, tons of sulfurs in that old oil. New formula used engine oil is sparse in comparison, all you gonna have is real poison in there especially when the oils go for so many more miles as well. Old days used motor oil tons of sulfur changed often paraffin based, might have had a better outcome for dogs taking the other side of it. New school of thought, pouring used motor oil on a dog with the worst skin infection you can have for a dog, not a good idea. Plus people care more about dogs these days, old days you used to kick you dog on a good day just for fun, now they are your baby for 15 years. If you are old school, next time you get a skin infection, your treatment is in your sump, have at it, lol. I am old school, but not that old school.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No offense, but what kind of retard of a vet would say bath the thing in used motor oil. Dogs lick their fur, and used motor oil is poisonous. I'd get a new vet. Cool story though, I love German shepards.

I tried that once with a cat, the cat lost and eye and it was infected bad. I was a truck driver, drove the poor scared ******* home 6 hours, man hard trip. Took it to the vet, in the end all I could offer the little sucker was a humane death, vet said it was too far gone. That day did not go to plan, but hey I tried.

It was a nasty mess, but it worked.... this was back in '82. The Vet was not a "retard". I'd imagine he had more education than you or I. No, the dog didn't lick the oil, because it was applied for maybe a few minutes and washed away with Dawn. It worked. The dog was so far gone with so many maladies.... all the worms, etc. It was last ditch for a stray that happened to work.

I have better financial resources today, and would seek a better remedy. BTW, that German Shephard grew into a beautiful, loving adult dog.... sweet natured. She tended to use a little oil, though!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the tip. I honestly didn't even know there was a synthetic thread.
I'll take a look at it.
Thanks brother

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

That synthetic thread is either rayon or dacron; I'm nor sure.... but it isn't cotton! ;)

Octane

Reaction score
It was a nasty mess, but it worked.... this was back in '82. The Vet was not a "retard". I'd imagine he had more education than you or I. No, the dog didn't lick the oil, because it was applied for maybe a few minutes and washed away with Dawn. It worked. The dog was so far gone with so many maladies.... all the worms, etc. It was last ditch for a stray that happened to work.

I have better financial resources today, and would seek a better remedy. BTW, that German Shephard grew into a beautiful, loving adult dog.... sweet natured. She tended to use a little oil, though!
You put the dog on Redline I hope so it wouldnt have the ticks? Lol

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah for sure, it worked that time and cool that. Just saying moving forward I want to be a voice for the dogs instead of everyone just saying yeah let's toss used oil on the dogs. I bet when that started engine oils where a lot different, tons of sulfurs in that old oil. New formula used engine oil is sparse in comparison, all you gonna have is real poison in there especially when the oils go for so many more miles as well. Old days used motor oil tons of sulfur changed often paraffin based, might have had a better outcome for dogs taking the other side of it. New school of thought, pouring used motor oil on a dog with the worst skin infection you can have for a dog, not a good idea. Plus people care more about dogs these days, old days you used to kick you dog on a good day just for fun, now they are your baby for 15 years. If you are old school, next time you get a skin infection, your treatment is in your sump, have at it, lol. I am old school, but not that old school.
Trust me, I agree with you 100%. My dog is the only one that really seems to give a f..... when I come home from work every morning!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
But where on the dog does the filter go.....

It's called something different on a dog then a truck, on a dog it's called the liver. And if you put motor oil on a dog's infected skin, that liver will surely get junked up. And you thought it was a PITA to change a truck filter, lol.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's called something different on a dog then a truck, on a dog it's called the liver. And if you put motor oil on a dog's infected skin, that liver will surely get junked up. And you thought it was a PITA to change a truck filter, lol.

The operational element was sulpher in the used oil. Sulpher killed the mites and got into the hair follicles thus killing pupae. Since a dog/cat don't have pores, the liver was never a worry. A grape can kill a dog if eaten by the dog. Either way, it worked and I thought sharing it posed some value. One thing is for sure..... I'd never do it again because it is nasty messy. I empatize with the wildlife rescuers who clean nasty crude oil from wildlife using Dawn dish soap. Peace!

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lets go a step further, back in prehistoric times (the 1960's) the fix for head lice was soaking your hair with kerosene, I **** you not. I don't know how long you let it soak but back then it probably was long enough to smoke a cigarette.
Ouch :flamingdevil:

Octane

Reaction score
Lets go a step further, back in prehistoric times (the 1960's) the fix for head lice was soaking your hair with kerosene, I **** you not. I don't know how long you let it soak but back then it probably was long enough to smoke a cigarette.Yes,and step on a nail or something you would soak it in kerosene.It works
Ouch :flamingdevil:

Octane

Reaction score
My great grandmother learned about herbs and such for healing from the indians in the later half of the 19th century.Modern meds are some of the same stuff,only it is purified to pharmaceutical grade and standards.Take the tender bark from the tender peachtree limbs and boil it good for peachtree tea.Drink it and it cures kidney infection.Modern folks worry too much about toxicity.But in the old days we were tough....and had common sense. 'murica