When Is It Ok To Change To Synthetic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello. I couldn't find the answer to this. 2022 Ram 2500 6.7. I am about to change the oil for the first time as soon as my filter arrives in the mail. I am going with Rotella as Valvoline Blue is hard to find here. Is it OK to go full synthetic with only 5500 miles on the engine?
We tow a camper for work where ever we are sent across the country. Which would be better protection for towing Rotella T5 10w/30 or Rotella T6 5w/40? Thank you.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
You should be good to go ahead & switch to synthetic. I personally would go with the T6 15W/40 during the warmer months & then maybe T6 5w/40 when in really cold climate. I am actually thinking about switching to Triax Fleet Supreme oil. It gets really good reviews & sounds like a great oil at a good price.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should be good to go ahead & switch to synthetic. I personally would go with the T6 15W/40 during the warmer months & then maybe T6 5w/40 when in really cold climate. I am actually thinking about switching to Triax Fleet Supreme oil. It gets really good reviews & sounds like a great oil at a good price.
I would do that, but can't run 15w/40 in the 2019 and up.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Not sure about the diesel, but all gas 5.7 and 6.4 now come with synthetic from the factory. My bet is so did your 6.7.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hello. I couldn't find the answer to this. 2022 Ram 2500 6.7. I am about to change the oil for the first time as soon as my filter arrives in the mail. I am going with Rotella as Valvoline Blue is hard to find here. Is it OK to go full synthetic with only 5500 miles on the engine?
We tow a camper for work where ever we are sent across the country. Which would be better protection for towing Rotella T5 10w/30 or Rotella T6 5w/40? Thank you.
You can got to synthetic at any time, I've been told engine came with 5w40 from Cummins, Ram said use 10w30, it also list 5w40 as being ok to use, I have 5w40 synthetic oil waiting to be in installed an will do so at 3,000 miles.. I use Rotella t6 5w40 in my 2006 for 8 years without any problems even in the mid west heat and humidity... FYI do not use 15w40 the new engine's made changes eliminating the need for 15w oil...

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I wonder if they made changes to the new 6.7's or are they doing that to get slightly better mpg? Diesels are built with such loose tolerances that I would think 15w-45 would be fine in the summer. But if they are calling for the lower viscosities, best use it than take a chance.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am going with Rotella as Valvoline Blue is hard to find here.
That's a switch, there's a lot of areas that Rotella is hard to find (or outrageously expensive) and has been for a while.
There's a couple of stores that have lots of Valvoline Blue 5W-40 sitting on the shelves around me.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I wonder if they made changes to the new 6.7's or are they doing that to get slightly better mpg? Diesels are built with such loose tolerances that I would think 15w-45 would be fine in the summer. But if they are calling for the lower viscosities, best use it than take a chance.
Have been told Cummins made a change to lifters being used.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have been told Cummins made a change to lifters being used.
Lifters, piston rings, crankshaft and bearings are all new designs. The block is even CGI

mountainlion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l I6
“Lifters, piston rings, crankshaft and bearings are all new designs. The block is even CGI”

Is that true for both the SO and the HO?

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Amazing amount of bad advice. The 2022 truck engines (any built after 2016 actually) have much tighter tolerances to allow for using lower viscosity motor oil to improve fuel economy. The question is not synthetic versus blend but rather which diesel motor oils provide the best additive mix to compensate for burning diesel with is a very dirty fuel.

In the past the independent lab evaluations have put Valvoline Blue and Pennzoil and Rottella and Redline in the top tier in terms of their additive mix. Amsoil and Delo and others have been in the bottom tier.

The multigrade to use depends on the temperatures where you drive. In ambient temperaturs above 0 degrees F, a 10W-30 is recommended. Below zero degrees a 5W-40 is recommended.

If you cannot find your owner's manual then you can easily download one from the ramtrucks.com website.

mbarry1834

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Motor Oil 5W40 Diesel Engine Oil 1 gal (US) on sale at NAPA online. https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=774038&referer=v2

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Switch anytime…. I run Amsoil in everything I own and in my opinion, it is a superior product

Mark
That's what I thought to until I changed my diff oil which was Severe Gear. There was a lot of burnt oil baked on the aluminum cover & the oil was almost black. Grant it I tow some with this truck, but that oil had only been in there a year. All the test that I had seen this oil did very well, but the actual test in my diff, it failed big time!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That's what I thought to until I changed my diff oil which was Severe Gear. There was a lot of burnt oil baked on the aluminum cover & the oil was almost black. Grant it I tow some with this truck, but that oil had only been in there a year. All the test that I had seen this oil did very well, but the actual test in my diff, it failed big time!
I used Amsoil Server Gear in my 2006 2500 CTD for 12 years never had a problem, when I pulled the cover gears looked good and clean...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never owned a diesel and my experience doesn't apply.

For every gas V8 or 10 (also GT2 & 3) I run Mobile 1 0/40w synthetic. I like the instant oil pressure rise and extended heat this oil can take. I drive my cars really hard and/or/with sustained high speed...or I used to (I'm over it). This is the best oil I've ever used, and I can buy it at Wal-Mart or Costco. There is no condition this oil isn't good at. This oil is never a problem in extreme heat or summer track days/weekends. Don't be scared of the 0 - it works perfectly in the summer as well.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
“Lifters, piston rings, crankshaft and bearings are all new designs. The block is even CGI”

Is that true for both the SO and the HO?
The difference between the SO and HO is pistons, injectors, and programming. Everything else is a shared component.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Amazing amount of bad advice. The 2022 truck engines (any built after 2016 actually) have much tighter tolerances to allow for using lower viscosity motor oil to improve fuel economy.
Speaking of bad advice/bullshizit...........Bearing clearances and ring/cylinder/piston clearances haven't really changed much in the last 40 years, and those are the parts that rely heavily on lubrication to survive. Besides, the thought of building a tighter engine just so you can use lower viscocity oil is just plain dumb.... The lower viscosity oil is used because it can be used - The oil's ability to not shear under loads and heat has increased with oil technology, and oil that flows easier(lower viscosity) produces less frictional losses resulting in more efficiency, and it also carries more heat away from critical parts resulting in longer life. This is evidenced in synthetic (nylon-based) oils...they flow at lower temps, breakdown at much higher temps, and do a better job at integrating with additive packages to remain usable for longer intervals.