Which brand of transmission filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTrean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to do a trans drain and fill and I'm looking for some opinions on which brand of filters are most popular. I am leaning towards the OE molar filters but would like additional insight from those with experience. I have the 545RFE transmission. I am also considering trying out the Felpro trans pan gasket instead of the rtv. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
JTrean

JTrean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
oem filter and no gasket, use the rtv.

Any reasons to not try the gasket? I have seen it used successfully instead of rtv. It is just much easier to use a gasket and less chance of a leak in my opinion.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Use the Mopar filters and use the RTV, you will LESS chance of leaks with a proper RTV seal than you will with any gasket with our trans since the pans have such a small surface face. There are times to use gaskets and times to use RTV, our trans pan is a place where RTV is more reliable with the wide difference in temperatures.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any reasons to not try the gasket? I have seen it used successfully instead of rtv. It is just much easier to use a gasket and less chance of a leak in my opinion.

1) i've seen people try the paper gasket only to have it leak
2) rtv creates a better seal when used correctly
3) thats the way it came from the factory

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I think I used the WIX filter either way not going to make a huge difference.

But yes definitely use RTV. I just used a gasket and it leaked like a ****. I should have known, but wanted to try it. Had to drop it again and use RTV.

Also I would let it sit bolted up without adding any tranny fluid for a while so the RTV can cure.

OP
OP
JTrean

JTrean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Roger that, thanks everyone.