Which LED's ... looking for advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoCaDoRi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello all... very first post here... probably shouldn't have waited so long to join ... anyway....

I'm looking for the safest plug and play LED replacements. ( '18 Laramie 3500 ) Hi and Low beam as well as the fog lights. I love the projector lights but I think by now RAM should have went with LEDs as a standard on these trucks. Looking for no issues with flickering or error codes so I imagine a top quality with CANBUS harness is a must.

What ya got? what is the best and foolproof ... TIA

Ric

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you have a Laramie I'm assuming you have projector headlights. If you do, LED's won't work well for your low beams. You need to go the HID route with LED high beams. I got my set from Headlight Revolution and couldn't be happier. No canbus errors and MUCH better light output from the HID's

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Generally speaking, currently, HID kits are best suited for projector headlight retrofit, and LED kits are best suited for reflector headlight retrofit. This also explains why, with the factory projector headlights, the consensus recommendation is to put the HID kit in the projector light assemblies, in the low beam position, and then an LED kit in the high beam position, as the high beam bulb still uses a reflector.

That said, LED kits are getting better, and I do believe we will see a quality LED low beam kit that will work close to as well as the HID kit offerings, in the near future. Currently the light output from an HID kit is simply well above that of an LED in the projector type headlight.

The problem you will likely encounter if you choose to install an HID low beam headlight conversion kit in your projector style headlight is that - you will have to:

A) drill a hole in the back of your headlight assembly bulb dust covers
Or
B) buy replacement headlight assembly bulb dust covers - already drilled and ready for the HID bulb kit (about $60.00/pair)
Or
C) remove the headlight bulb dust covers and leave off (NOT a great idea but some do this)

The HID bulbs themselves will fit fine, but in most cases the additional hardware in the HID kit = the ballast, and additional parts like canbus decoders or error cancellers, will not fit inside the headlight housing under the dust cover, and must be mounted and secured outside the headlight assembly.

Canbus decoders or error cancellers may not be needed in some current super smart kits, or if you choose to reprogram your truck, using a tool such as the very popular AlphaObd app/tool.

If there is a decent HID kit that will completely install inside the headlight assembly, with the factory dust cover installed, unaltered, someone will be along shortly to post the applicable kit(s).

Happy hunting - there is a tremendous amount of information in previous postings for you to search through and read through at your leisure, on the subject of which HID or LED headlight bulb kit is the best, including several Ram Forum supporting members.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CoCaDoRi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I appreciate the reply’s ...
I suppose I should lean heavily towards at minimum LEDs for the high beam
And HID on the low beam ... however I’m thinking HID’s all the way around ...
Interested to hear what HID kit is the easiest “plug and play”

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Headlight Revolution is the best place for plug and play lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
... however I’m thinking HID’s all the way around ...

Wouldn't recommend that setup, I have that in my 66 Buick and the one thing about HID's is they take a few seconds to "heat up" and get bright, not ideal for high beams. Low beams is fine since they are on the whole time, but I'll be switching that car as well as my new truck to HID low/led high.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
HID's for your low beam projectors, and LED's for the hi's. As @JoeCo said, HID's for high beams won't work as well because they have to warm up and come to brightness. The on and off cycles they would go through would cause issues with the ballasts and bulbs. A good brand of LED's will be much better especially in the high beam reflector, because of the on and off cycles.

Reaction score
Ram Year
16 laramie
Engine
5.7 hemi
I installed in 17 laramie came with 6 bulbs high , low, fog, and they are very bright.they have a whip on them that attatched to factory plug and led and fan body fit behind the dust cap as well, csnt speak for others but that's my truck with them installed6464cfd78e7a32d659ce76958996f46a.jpgcab837fd79122dbe54ea9db8dbf81985.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in your situation, and have been reading and contemplating for months.

I am hovering over the “process my order button” just trying to ensure I get what I need to do the install once.

While I concede that HID offers “arguably” the best and brightest, in a projector headlight, I personally do not want to deal with the “side effects” with HID installation - holes in headlight assembly dust covers, warm up time, all sorts of extra pieces like the ballasts, etc....

Here is some relevant viewing and reading.

This review tests and recommends LED kits for reflectors headlights AND projector headlights.

https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/recommended/

I am personally leaning toward the Katana LED kit, with an in-line decoder kit - I sent them an email asking about canbus decoders, and once I hear back, I will be ordering the applicable pieces with the Katana LED 9005 kit.

For me, in the above recommendation, Hikari’s are rated number one, and their customer support is widely reported as excellent, and I have read in many instances, Hikari will send the decoders virtually free, but getting into the granular review, I like the overall color and output of the Katana’s.

Feedback welcomed, and I will absolutely report back with my results.

Wayne E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've also been reading tons, wondering which to get, and wanting to do the job once, with no issues. I have quads, so LED's is the way I'm leaning. I read somewhere, but can't seem to find it, but somebody said they put LED's in their high beams, then used the high beam bulbs for their low beams. This was done on quads. Can anyone confirm this works?

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've also been reading tons, wondering which to get, and wanting to do the job once, with no issues. I have quads, so LED's is the way I'm leaning. I read somewhere, but can't seem to find it, but somebody said they put LED's in their high beams, then used the high beam bulbs for their low beams. This was done on quads. Can anyone confirm this works?

Quads are easier, or I should say more applicable with LED retrofit light bulbs, because of the reflector headlight assemblies, as they are well suited to leds in the low and high beams. I have no doubt folks will chime in, but you can also search “led reflector” or “led quad” for more information and details on what has worked well for forum members.

Last edited:

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Received response from Katana - I have headlight bulbs ordered via Amazon, and Katana stated they would send decoders in case they are needed.

I will report back when installed, hopefully next week sometime, with pictures if I remember to grab some at night.

More to come.

2018 Ram Crew Cab Sport - oem projector headlights

Katana LED headlight bulbs en route

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with the supernova V.4 LEDs from Headlight Revolution. They have to be clocked horizontally for correct cutoff. They come with the canbus modules and everything is plug and play and fits under the dust cover.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let us know if we can help we offer and recommend Morimoto products as they are high quality and have proven to work over and over again on our picky CANBUS systems. I run their HIDS and XBLED fogs on my personal RAM.

message me to go over options for headlights but for fogs on a 1500 look no further than thesehttps://gotexhaust.com/i-23646321-ram-vertical-morimoto-xb-led-fog-lights.html
You can use promo code RAMLED for a discount and free shipping!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45