Which truck to keep or a 3rd option.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have 2 4th gen trucks. A 2011 laramie with 264000 km and a 2017 limited with 3200 kms. The 2017 is running fine now, but has already been in the shop countless times over the past 1.5 yrs. Had my 2011 sold a few months back when I thought the new one was sorted, but cancelled the sale when the transmission leaked on the new truck all over the garage floor pulling it out to load it and I also had to have a wiring harness replaced that kept the new one from getting out of park and had to fiddle with it and ended up using the old one once again to get to work until I could get the new one fixed on a previous occasion. The 2011 is in great shape regardless of kms and has been my reliable truck, but who knows for how long. The 2017 has not been reliable and given the remote locations I travel to I'm hesitant to use it. Question is do I swallow the loss and sell the new one and drive the old one a few more years as I figure it should make it easily another 100,000km. Hope the new one has the bugs out and just drive it and sell the old one or trade them both in on something else. Canada has no lemon law and even if it did it hasn't gone in for the same thing twice. Everything that has gone wrong seems fixed the first time though I haven't driven it enough to really test it. For now the new one has storage insurance on it and I drive the old one, but at some point I have to make a decision

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Or trade them both in for a newer one..... But that's a crap shoot in and of itself.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's just it. My new one is the unreliable one so far. The new one has lots of warranty and rental car coverage, but I work such long shifts in remote locations and I need a truck so if I break down I end up spending up to a couple k renting a truck for a month and getting or paying depending where it broke down somebody to get it home for me. Rental car only while the truck is down so its my dime once its fixed plus the upgrade to a truck while its down since I cant get the rental back until my shift is done. That's worst case, but since both total break downs happened days before I left for a long shift and it would have gone that way if not for the old truck it's not unlikely either.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Sounds like me, I work 9 weeks on 9 weeks off remotely, so taking care of business can be a bit difficult. I'm able to lean on my wonderful wife to do those things while I'm gone, so I'd say get yourself a wife but that would be the most expensive option out there.....

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2019’s seem to have a lot of quirky problems so I wouldn’t trade them for a 5th gen just yet.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah, first year of any new vehicle makes me nervous. The fact the drivetrain has stayed pretty much the same should mean fewer early problems though apart from previously existing ones.

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 & 2018
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins
Keep them both. Everyone needs two trucks. :)

medium800.jpg