Whipple shipping charges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
WhileI HAD been still considering it - IF they ever come out with a kit for the '20 - the more I hear the less impressed I am.

Just went through the checkout process selecting a '19 configuration and they want $251.55 to ship their kit by GROUND to VT. Pretty sure they're in CA, USA. We ship stuff daily by UPS. so I am somewhat familiar with shipping costs. We also ship a fair amount by LTL. In fact just yesterday I got a quote to ship something by Motor Freight to CA. It was under $200.

I own a business. I understand a business has to make money or it will not BE a business for long. But if you price your products fairly (for both the business as well as the purchaser) you are hurting both of you when you start making extraneous nuisance charges to pad your bank account. This may well have killed it for me.

I am now looking for a new supercharger supplier for my '20 RAM.

But NOT a centrifugal. I love the Whipple design. Roots would be "ok". Any suggestions?

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
That doesn't seem exorbitant to me, assuming there is something like an intercooler (large size/volume item) involved, as well as the cost of insurance.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That price actually doesnt seem all that crazy. The Edelbrock E force superchargers we sell can cost us in shipping anywhere between $150-$300, often being in the $200-$250 range. As a vendor we tend to eat as much of the shipping cost t to help save the customer some money and earn their business. The E force kits are great, super efficient. When they are available for the 5th gens we will be able to hook up anyone interested. For now we just offer them for 4th gens and we can help out with some Centri brands as well

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
You get two HUGE ass boxes from Whipple, and they are packed real well. When your dropping that kind of cash for a Whipple, I'd rather they box it real well and charge me for it.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'd be interested to hear the package specs - w x H x l & weight.

Like I said, we are a daily UPS shipper and these prices seem gouging to me.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I wouldn’t be letting shipping charges dictate what supercharger I’d be getting. I’d be more worried about who has the best kit and design, not shipping cost. As booms said it comes in two fairly good size boxes and they’re not light either. There’s a lot of stuff in those boxes, the blower and intakes take one box by themselves. There’s still the intercooler,hoses,brackets,plugs,puppies,belt,injectors etc.I don’t remember the sizes but was probably around 3ft long, 20in wide and about a foot high but I’m going off memory. Everything is packed extremely well too, not just some bubble wrap and paper.

Doesn’t sound like gouging in my experience. Try being in Canada and having to get stuff across the border. You could always phone them and ask.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
FYI the jury is still out as to whether it's "gouging" (note: I did not bring up that term) or not.
But to be clear, that is/was not the only factor.

From my OP "the more I hear the less impressed I am". This is only A nail.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
FYI the jury is still out as to whether it's "gouging" (note: I did not bring up that term) or not.
But to be clear, that is/was not the only factor.

From my OP "the more I hear the less impressed I am". This is only A nail.

What things have you heard that are steering you away from it?

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What things have you heard that are steering you away from it?

Mostly bearing issues. Also pistons falling apart, but I think most of that is a result of boost pressures at higher than factory-designed.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I'd be interested to hear the package specs - w x H x l & weight.

Like I said, we are a daily UPS shipper and these prices seem gouging to me.

So you have know idea what the specs are for shipping the system but want to accuse them of price gouging? Sorry this doesn't make any sense.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Mostly bearing issues. Also pistons falling apart, but I think most of that is a result of boost pressures at higher than factory-designed.

Ya, you can’t blame whipple for the piston issues a boosted hemi can have. Any form of boost if it’s not kept at save levels can blow up a hemi.

Personally if I were to do it all over I’d still get the whipple.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
I still would like to get the smooth boost. Only thing holding me back is the price.

I got mine...still in the box... default_lol2.gif

Rainy season is about done here, time for the fall/winter mod season to begin. :)

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd be more concerned with the final product then if they are making money on the shipping charge. Don't forget to add insurance to the shipment so maybe what they charge is not too far off. Considering its what ... $7 or $8k upgrade? A few extra bucks on shipping shouldn't be the deciding factor here.

Again - I'd be worried about how they unlock the ECM. I have been battling issues for months now with HP Tuners. They just finally sent an updated file that should disable torque management which is something my tuner was not able to disable. There might be a hidden table or something HP Tuners left out during the initial build/unlock of the ECM. Either way - tuning will dictate how well your truck runs and how happy you will be with the final product, and not if you paid a few extra bucks on shipping charge. Just my opinion.

Good luck. Curious how the whipple turns out. My first choice was whipple but they kept delaying shipment because they were having issues with their boxed tune. Now I know why. LOL

I agree you'll be much happier with a positive displacement SC unless you plan on tracking it. If you drive it like a truck it will live in the lower RPMs most of the time and that is where PDS shine.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Be careful with removing torque management. If you remove all the torque management you’re going to be needing a new transmission pretty quick especially at the power you’re making. Even paramount who builds high power 8 speeds recommends to at least leave some of the torque management in.

There’s a guy in my town running an e-force setup and he’s on his 3rd trans last I heard because he removes all the torque management and starts messing with all the programming.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So you have know idea what the specs are for shipping the system but want to accuse them of price gouging?

Actually, I do have some idea.

Pretty sure it's not two 40' overseas containers.