Who has installed LEDS in projectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigcountry85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I purchased LED bulbs from retrofit source and found that the factory headlight assembly has a plate in place of dust caps for each bulb, my question is what have you guys done to make the LEDS fit behind the plate?

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased LED bulbs from retrofit source and found that the factory headlight assembly has a plate in place of dust caps for each bulb, my question is what have you guys done to make the LEDS fit behind the plate?

People who don’t know better than to never put LEDs in projectors lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I used a heat gun and a door knob to round out that plate to make space for the heatsinks on the bulbs. I did not take pics yet.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

I put LEDs in projectors and they perform SIGNIFICANTLY better than normal reflector. The projector lends focuses the LED light beam, where as the regular reflector just scatters it all over the road.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put LEDs in projectors and they perform SIGNIFICANTLY better than normal reflector. The projector lends focuses the LED light beam, where as the regular reflector just scatters it all over the road.

I promise you you are losing a lot of light. Projectors that are specifically made for LEDs have mirrors inside and don’t have the typical bulb shape to utilize as much light as possible.

You can’t tell me LEDs in factory projectors looks like this. 20cdcc0e9c2641163ef700499c5c0862.jpgeb352af1381946e5a490322d00443bb8.jpg

Even LEDs in LED projectors can’t touch HID in projectors.
Here’s LEDs with projectors made for LED e258575cb65c36c9ad32d439ca1419c3.jpg

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I promise you you are losing a lot of light. Projectors that are specifically made for LEDs have mirrors inside and don’t have the typical bulb shape to utilize as much light as possible.

You can’t tell me LEDs in factory projectors looks like this. 20cdcc0e9c2641163ef700499c5c0862.jpgeb352af1381946e5a490322d00443bb8.jpg

Even LEDs in LED projectors can’t touch HID in projectors.
Here’s LEDs with projectors made for LED e258575cb65c36c9ad32d439ca1419c3.jpg

I was simply talking LED projector vs regular headlights. I definitely believe HIDs are much brighter, I just had too many problems with hids in the past to want to go back to them.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was simply talking LED projector vs regular headlights. I definitely believe HIDs are much brighter, I just had too many problems with hids in the past to want to go back to them.

You’re still losing a lot of usable light. If someone has projectors the best thing they can do is go HID or spend the money and do LED the right way with either a retrofit or led housings ie alpha rex or Morimoto

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
You’re still losing a lot of usable light. If someone has projectors the best thing they can do is go HID or spend the money and do LED the right way with either a retrofit or led housings ie alpha rex or Morimoto

There is no doubt that the LEDs I installed are better than the halogen they replaced. I don't need maximum light output and have also had bad experiences with HID failures. I am not opposed to HID but the LED upgrade was quick and easy.

Besides, this thread was not created to find out which is better. This thread was created to get ideas on how to install LED bulbs and accommodate the cover plate on the back of the factory projectors.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

Here is a pic with katana led's in my alpharex projectors

bbe80236def9267f20a3f648a5c10b17.png

Only pic I currently have. Swapped in some 55w hid's to see if they were any better and I think they are about the same

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
There is no doubt that the LEDs I installed are better than the halogen they replaced. I don't need maximum light output and have also had bad experiences with HID failures. I am not opposed to HID but the LED upgrade was quick and easy.

Besides, this thread was not created to find out which is better. This thread was created to get ideas on how to install LED bulbs and accommodate the cover plate on the back of the factory projectors.

A few truck's ago I swapped in some factory projectors and tried running some cheap ebay led's. To get the cover back on I had to heat the cover up and used some of my kid's wooden square letter toys to shape it. Didn't look pretty but got it to work. But in 5 year's led's have shrunk a little. I think you'd have luck with katana led's (Amazon $40) or Hikari led's ($40-90 Amazon) they have great output in projectors and should fit without much or any modifications

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
A few truck's ago I swapped in some factory projectors and tried running some cheap ebay led's. To get the cover back on I had to heat the cover up and used some of my kid's wooden square letter toys to shape it. Didn't look pretty but got it to work. But in 5 year's led's have shrunk a little. I think you'd have luck with katana led's (Amazon $40) or Hikari led's ($40-90 Amazon) they have great output in projectors and should fit without much or any modifications

I have Lasfit LEDs in the RAM and my Camaro with no failures as of yet. But I had to do something similar to you to get the back covers to work on the RAM.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Look at the GTR Ultra 2's. Probably what you are looking for.
https://headlightrevolution.com/led-headlight-bulbs/gtr-lighting-ultra-series-2/

According to HR the LEDs themselves are designed for automotive lighting.

There was a post on the site here that reviewed the Ultra 2's in Tacoma projectors and the light output looked really good in the projector housing.

Expensive, but they really look to be quality. I would like to get a set for the boss lady's car just to try on the low beam side.

Reactions: JB1

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Agree with you on the HIDs, have had several kits before and always eventually had problems with the ballasts going out. By eventually, I mean within 2 years at the longest. I'm done with them as well and switched to hikari ultra LEDs and am hoping they will last longer. Sorry I can't help with the fitment question, mine were a little tight but fit without issue.

Ram Wildcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I just let the plate off. Come to find out that the LED’s didn’t help much with the projector lens. I am curious what others have done to solve this problem...

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That is not correct. Some Leds wont perform well in projectors, some work just fine like any HID or halogen. Maybe not that bright but with a good hotspot and wide output.

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:beatdeadhorse5: HID’s for projectors, LED’s for quads.
Wrong. Any HID or Leds are not made to work in regular reflector, to much glare make to blind incoming traffic. The correct lights to use in reflectors is halogen. HIDs and some Leds work perfect in projectors to avoid glare.

You can find all this info online. I dont invented.

Ordurves

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Please forgive the dumb question but how do I know if I have projector or reflector headlamps? I own a 2011 3500 CTD Laramie. Duel light lens appear to be stock. Thanks

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Wrong. Any HID or Leds are not made to work in regular reflector, to much glare make to blind incoming traffic. The correct lights to use in reflectors is halogen. HIDs and some Leds work perfect in projectors to avoid glare.

You are kind of correct. Technically reflector housing are designed for halogen bulbs. Most high quality led's are designed to work in reflector housing with a very similar beam pattern. Yes they will appear brighter to oncoming traffic but that is simply the fact that they are brighter, reason for installing them. I ran supernova v3's in my quads and never had anyone flash me. Beam pattern was almost exactly the same as the halogens. In comparison I tried using opt 7 Flux core led's and those were terrible to adjust. Work great as highs. All aftermarket projector headlight assemblies even the oem ram one's are halogen projectors so it makes sense that a led bulb designed to mimic a halogen bulbs output would work well in a halogen projector.

Hid's, yes are not designed for reflector housing. Although I have seen some videos by headlight revolution that the beam pattern was almost exactly the same as the halogens. As far as overall glare facing them I don't know. I do know that in a very high amount of cases hid's in reflector housing isn't a great idea.

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Lol I’m not even getting into this again.