Why are manufacturers still putting cloth seats in trucks?

Do you like cloth seats or leather?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look the real question is why aren't any manufacturers putting the junk blaster vent under the steering wheel anymore. I think it's because they want to upsell you heated/cooled seats but it's not the same thing
We all like our junk blown afterall... ladies notwithstanding.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I prefer cloth, Cool in the summer, warm in the winter, holds your ass like velcro while cornering.
You can tell the OP does not live in an area that experiences extreme high heat and has never
experienced a blistered ass and legs. But being the OP lives in Wisconsin and likes leather seating I'll bet
he has experienced putting his ******** in a cryogenic freeze in mid January.
leather looks and smells nice but that is where it ends for me.
I live in Texas on the Gulf Coast, where it gets more than plenty hot. I've never been blistered by seats. Sure, they get hot, but I tend to wear clothes when I am getting in a vehicle. Is that not a thing anymore?

Puckwall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"I bought a 19 classic this year and I love the truck but I absolutely hated the cloth seats. For the amount of money trucks cost these days leather should be standard lol."

And LED headlights for that matter.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"I bought a 19 classic this year and I love the truck but I absolutely hated the cloth seats. For the amount of money trucks cost these days leather should be standard lol."

And LED headlights for that matter.
I think LED just isn’t as good as HID. I had a 2015 mustang with OEM HID, my wife has a 2018 mustang with OEM LED. There is really no comparison. Led is getting better, especially in a projector designed for them, but it just does not project as well as HID.

Walter Conrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2013, 2003, 1997
Engine
6.7CTD, 5.7Hemi x 2, 5.2 Magnum
I live in Texas on the Gulf Coast, where it gets more than plenty hot. I've never been blistered by seats. Sure, they get hot, but I tend to wear clothes when I am getting in a vehicle. Is that not a thing anymore?
And I see you don't have a sense of humor.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And I see you don't have a sense of humor.
I do actually. I promise. I did chuckle about the nuts in a cryogenic freezer.

I hear people all the time say they get burned by leather seats in the summer, and just do not agree that will happen, unless you're driving around naked, or into wearing the super shorty shorts, which could be your thing, I don't know. Even then, it might be uncomfortable for a few seconds, but chances of it actually burning you are pretty slim.

I'm getting older though, so I'm not into today's fashion trends of shorter everything (pants that do not cover the top of the shoe or even the ankle for that matter, suit coats with sleeves that are too short, and shorts that are only mid thigh in length at best). My shortest pair of shorts are just above the knee, and offer total protection from bare skin on any vehicle's seats.

Walter Conrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2013, 2003, 1997
Engine
6.7CTD, 5.7Hemi x 2, 5.2 Magnum
I do actually. I promise. I did chuckle about the nuts in a cryogenic freezer.

I hear people all the time say they get burned by leather seats in the summer, and just do not agree that will happen, unless you're driving around naked, or into wearing the super shorty shorts, which could be your thing, I don't know. Even then, it might be uncomfortable for a few seconds, but chances of it actually burning you are pretty slim.

I'm getting older though, so I'm not into today's fashion trends of shorter everything (pants that do not cover the top of the shoe or even the ankle for that matter, suit coats with sleeves that are too short, and shorts that are only mid thigh in length at best). My shortest pair of shorts are just above the knee, and offer total protection from bare skin on any vehicle's seats.
I winter in Florida and have actually burnt the backs of my legs in my father-in-laws (lives in Sarasota) leather seated Buick. It only took a few seconds, I sat on the seat and could not get out fast enough. It was like a low grade sun burn, and yes I was wearing shorts.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's more cost effective to install cloth seats rather than Pleather (the factory leather is NOT true leather). Pleather is also a means for them to rake in more money from you at an exuberant price.

Last edited:

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:D lol I knew someone would make that connection...

Some people were getting kind of mad at me in that thread, i was just trying to start a discussion about it lol you would think i said "Anyone that likes chrome is an A***OLE!" :jester:
It all depends on your taste of what you want. I, as well as alot of guys, prefer cloth and chrome. So don't burn people that like it. If you like a plain Jane truck so be it!

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good Afternoon All, back on page 2 I wrote that I take my cloth covers off and throw them on the washer and dryer when they get nasty. That is what I have done with other vehicles, well last week I got extremely lucky and bought a leather power passenger seat for $150. Went to take seat covers off and found that the covers are attached to the cushions.
Really could not tell how the bottom was attached, and the back was sewn to the side airbag. So much for throwing them in the wash.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have the perforated leather and when the a/c blows thru there on a 100*+ day, they are awful nice to have

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've bought or ordered vehicles with leather for over 20 years. I was of the mindset that leather were more comfortable and easier to clean. I had not owned one with cloth in along time until my Ram Sport as it had everything I wanted except leather so I bought it planning to swap to leather.

Odd thing happened, I find the cloth seats very comfortable and I think they look great in the sport mesh. My wife also finds them more comfortable on long drives. The heaters work great and I've not missed the cooling. We have leather in both our Ford's and they are nice but not as comfy. So now I'm of the mindset, if you can get upper trim sport type seats on cloth or leather I'd probably go cloth inserts. My issue I think in the past was the lower trim seats available in the vehicles I was buying were just not comfortable style of seats. Basically no bolsters, flat surface and hard with picky cloth.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I like the look of leather, but actually I prefer the cloth seats in my Ram. I have leather seats in my old 1994 Saturn coupe, and while it looks cool, they're hard to sit on and they overheat when left out in the sun, and can get too cold as well.

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the look of leather, but actually I prefer the cloth seats in my Ram. I have leather seats in my old 1994 Saturn coupe, and while it looks cool, they're hard to sit on and they overheat when left out in the sun, and can get too cold as well.

Totally agree with this, my Ram has cloth seats, I use this vehicle during the hot south Texas summers, I use my Stang Convertible with black leather seats during the cooler weather, now until May.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I had Katzkin leather installed yesterday with seat heaters as well and WOW i couldn't be happier...definitely not cheap but money well spent in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, how much was it? I have Katskinz in my Camaro and they are much nicer then the factory "leather", but it has OEM heated seats.

Khanaar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Classic C/C
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I always found leather turns this ugly shiney look when worn, or wrinkly. Not to mention i keep burning myself on it. And buttsweat on long distance drives. Cloth is so much more superior. And grippy on tighter turns

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93