Why are manufacturers still putting cloth seats in trucks?

Do you like cloth seats or leather?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
leather for me..have had leather since the 80's..I like the look and feel of it. doesnt hold odors..easy to clean..more comfortable on long drives..doesnt look old after a cpl. years. an earlier poster said he doesnt like to stick to the leather seat..but I always wear clothes when driving and have never stuck to any leather seat cover in any of the vehicles I've owned. the only way I would buy without leather is to get a lower priced trim level and save some money but I would replace cloth with leather right away.

HemiTO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Many manufacturers are now offering different fabrics with better stain protection and heated seat options which I would prefer to leather. I've had my Laramie for 10 years and within the first two years the cheap leather Chrysler uses cracked and started flaking off.

Replaced the seat under warranty but I kid you not, in two years it started to do the same thing. But the 3-year comprehensive warranty was done and Chrysler wanted $500 for another seat. So I drive it the way it is, leather and cloth peeking through. Even the leather steering wheel is cracking even though I've used leather conditioner on it. Really wish Chrysler could use leather that lasts.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
EDIT: Pics added...The seats are actually a two tone; black and Lapis gray...the lapis is actually the same color as the oem "diesel gray" interior. the camera makes them look lighter.

This is just for fun and to hear other peoples opinions.

I bought a 19 classic this year and I love the truck but I absolutely hated the cloth seats. For the amount of money trucks cost these days leather should be standard lol.

I had Katzkin leather installed yesterday with seat heaters as well and WOW i couldn't be happier...definitely not cheap but money well spent in my opinion. I drive a lot and the extra comfort/durability is worth it to me. If you wish you had leather seats I highly suggest looking into it.

Katzkin has a great website where you can customize your seats;https://katzkin.com/

View attachment 229992

View attachment 229993

View attachment 229994

View attachment 229995
We have a dog. It would destroy leather. Besides every vehicle we own get's Marathon seat covers when new.

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EDIT: Pics added...The seats are actually a two tone; black and Lapis gray...the lapis is actually the same color as the oem "diesel gray" interior. the camera makes them look lighter.

I bought a 19 classic this year and I love the truck but I absolutely hated the cloth seats. For the amount of money trucks cost these days leather should be standard lol.

I had Katzkin leather installed yesterday with seat heaters as well and WOW i couldn't be happier...definitely not cheap but money well spent in my opinion. I drive a lot and the extra comfort/durability is worth it to me. If you wish you had leather seats I highly suggest looking into it.

Katzkin has a great website where you can customize your seats;https://katzkin.com/

View attachment 229992

View attachment 229993

View attachment 229994

View attachment 229995

Your interior looks nice...

I like Chrome and my wife hates leather. So there you go....LOL

Octane

Reaction score
leather for me..have had leather since the 80's..I like the look and feel of it. doesnt hold odors..easy to clean..more comfortable on long drives..doesnt look old after a cpl. years. an earlier poster said he doesnt like to stick to the leather seat..but I always wear clothes when driving and have never stuck to any leather seat cover in any of the vehicles I've owned. the only way I would buy without leather is to get a lower priced trim level and save some money but I would replace cloth with leather right away.
I find that leather does feel good when I had the seat heaters on in the winter.And leather is a "little" better than vinyl.lol

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you don't like the cloth seats you can probably still find those old clear plastic seat covers they used to put on your Grandmothers
sofa to protect it from any spills. LOL

Mikethomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leather! UGH. Too hot, too cold, plus the only time they are comfortable is when the weather lets them become somewhat soft.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I think you can just buy them and take them to a shop of your choice if you choose.

What's really nice about Katzkin installing them is they have their own network of mobile installers that come to you. They will come to your house or work etc... They have a big 30ft katzkin van that they work out of.

The whole install process was extremely convenient, the guy showed up to my house and i gave him my key at 8am. At 2:30 he was completely done.

Would you mind sharing the cost for all this? The only way I would consider leather seats is with heat. Sold a Silverado I purchased new in 6 months because the seats had no heat. I live in Michigan and my old bones couldn't handle the cold.

Octane

Reaction score
If you don't like the cloth seats you can probably still find those old clear plastic seat covers they used to put on your Grandmothers
sofa to protect it from any spills. LOL
I remember cars in the fifties and sixties with the clear plastic seat covers too.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, Leather is only nice IMO for durability. I have had cloth, leather and vinyl.. It seems every time you see an older truck with cloth, the seats have the side torn on the drivers side. I actually took my seat bottom cushion off my 2008, mine became torn too. The problem is when you get out you slide off the side (instead of just getting out like a car which is lower) The frame has tabs welded on the side which have sharp edges and it just shreds the cushion and ultimately creates that hole. I re-welded the tab and ground the edges smooth. I put a new seat bottom on, aside from the drivers seat bottom, the trucks interior looked new. After the repair I installed leather seat covers.

My new 2500 has cloth, heated everything--Nice! if the seat has the same problem the other generations had I will replace the cushion and cover with leather.

All my other cars have leather but I prefer cloth!

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 229992

View attachment 229993

View attachment 229994

View attachment 229995

Many people like them. I like leather.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Oh man I would kill for a vinyl floor. If I could find someone with a 4th Gen quadcab with vinyl floor that wanted like new black carpet, I would meet up, gut the interior and trade in a heartbeat

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Next best thing is weather tech is what i think.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm at a toss up. Leather is nice but would have to be heated and cooled for me. Not to mention easier to clean spills up. On the other hand I keep a pocket knife in my back pocket so it will probably wear through the leather.

OP did you get the degreez kit or just heated?

Blue Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No Spark Plugs
Cloth is cheaper and more comfortable in both high and low temperatures. Leather is more durable and easier to clean.

If they cost the same amount, it would be a coin toss for me as far as preference.

mmcdowell25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 Big Horn with the cloth seats and heaters from the factory and actually LOVE them. I wanted leather but now that I have what I have I'm quite content and they look great.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 229992

View attachment 229993

View attachment 229994

View attachment 229995
Looks really good... I won't have any car of mine with cloth seats! My Ram has very similar leather seats like yours, but black with red stitching... see on my website: (toward the end of page)
https://moskovita-photography.com/2014_Ram_1500.html

Walter Conrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2013, 2003, 1997
Engine
6.7CTD, 5.7Hemi x 2, 5.2 Magnum
I prefer cloth, Cool in the summer, warm in the winter, holds your ass like velcro while cornering.
You can tell the OP does not live in an area that experiences extreme high heat and has never
experienced a blistered ass and legs. But being the OP lives in Wisconsin and likes leather seating I'll bet
he has experienced putting his ******** in a cryogenic freeze in mid January.
leather looks and smells nice but that is where it ends for me.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '01 had cloth seats and I had owned it for16 years. Seats still looked like new when I traded it. My new '17 has cloth seats and I couldn't be happier.