Why are you guys still buying Ram "Classics"???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Hard to find Crew cab with 6.5 bed. Congrats. Is it 4x4 and do you have a photo of it?
yeah I know it's actually a good find and when I use the bed it's been nice having the 6.5 bed but I suffer in parking lots lol. 8468f7856b5572c14d688a0ea50c8ff5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mando Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I actually had several reasons. I bought a brand-new 2000 Dodge Ram Quad Cab I took delivery of in December of 1999. My wife and I used it mostly for pulling our RV. In the summer of 2016, I had my first 'major' problem with it - the air-conditioner clutch seized up. Being a 16-year old truck, it took a few weeks for the dealership to round up parts, so they loaned me a 2015 4th Gen Eco-Diesel RAM Quad Cab with 7000 miles on it - driven by the owner of the dealership. I fell in love with it and bought it several months later when he offered to sell it. I bought a $1500 matching cap and did some customizing to it.
Unfortunately I got caught up in the myriad of issues and recalls with the Eco-Diesel, and while I loved every other aspect of the truck, I had no confidence in the engine any longer. (Plus, I had several thousand dollars of out-of-pocket expenses for an EGR failure, and the lawsuit settlement issues - for which I'm STILL awaiting the final check...)
I worked with the dealership to exchange my truck for a 2019. I got the same color, all the same features, and the Classic style so I could put my cap on it and not have to buy a new one. It's essentially the same truck other than I got the 5.7 Hemi.
I love it, and enjoy the great power when pulling the trailer, but also the nearly comparable mileage I had with the Eco-Diesel after the lawsuit 'tweaking' of the engine which reduced the power, added five seconds of turbo-lag (to the point of danger when trying to pull out into traffic), and MPG's from 23-24 to about 20. (I get 18 with the Hemi in day-to-day driving.)

By the way - I personally like the 5th Gen body style; my cousin bought a 2019 about the same time I got my 2019 4th Gen, and we've compared them side by side. Just didn't want to have to buy a new cap and all that to fit the different size box and so on.

Given an average .50 a gallon difference in gas vs. diesel fuel prices, I'm actually spending less to drive the 4th Gen Classic/Hemi. Plus oil and filters (even buying Mobile 1 synthetic) is far less expensive than the $65 for 11 qts of Rotella T6 synthetic and the $20 oil filters, $15 fuel filters, etc. etc.

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think people are buying the classic so they can hang out in the 4th Gen forum not the boring 5th gen.

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

Lol not to mentioned half the threads over there are by owners of 2019/20 classics anyway. I wonder how long the classic will go on for, certainly has been good for rams sales numbers.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Lol not to mentioned half the threads over there are by owners of 2019/20 classics anyway. I wonder how long the classic will go on for, certainly has been good for rams sales numbers.

Silly people. I think we may see the 5th Gen either undergo a major change in style or they will keep the classic for a few more years. I do see a few of them on streets but I can spot a 2019 classic a mile
Away. And A LOT of people are buying those warlocks and classic SLT trims here. I’m thinking a lot of people are buying rebels until I see the solid back window lol.

Personally the ONLY 5th Gen I like is the rebel. That’s a sweet looking truck. The 2500 sports are pretty sexy too. However, as much as I hate GM they did an amazing job on their new trucks. The new Silverados are really nice and look like a truck a should. Especially that custom one. They sit high which is unusual for GM/Chevy and Ram went the opposite way it seems and slammed the new ones. Anything but the rebels are hideous in my opinion and they did a terrible job. Soft lines and basically look like Japanese truck now

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my classic because of the rebates and discounts. I got a $43k truck for $29.5. Plus I prefer the appearance of 4th gens and wouldnt buy a truck that didnt have an expansive aftermarket.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My male husky is a little chubby and isn’t a great jumper. So he needs help getting in unless he is super excited and then he can get in on his own. So when we are leaving home to go somewhere he gets in on his own. When we are coming back and he is tired then he needs help. Hmmm maybe he has US trained more than I want to let on haha. Our female jumps in quite easily, it’s just a matter of making sure she jumps on top of the hammock cover I bought and not underneath it.

Sounds like you need a ramp so your husky can get in and out easier. I bought a folding ramp so my little girl could get in and out easier after she turned 13. My little boy is now trained to use the ramp before he gets old enough to need it. It’s easier to train them to use it before they’re old enough to need it.
69055818a138e62f8194480f2661c203.jpg

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Silly people. I think we may see the 5th Gen either undergo a major change in style or they will keep the classic for a few more years. I do see a few of them on streets but I can spot a 2019 classic a mile
Away. And A LOT of people are buying those warlocks and classic SLT trims here. I’m thinking a lot of people are buying rebels until I see the solid back window lol.

Personally the ONLY 5th Gen I like is the rebel. That’s a sweet looking truck. The 2500 sports are pretty sexy too. However, as much as I hate GM they did an amazing job on their new trucks. The new Silverados are really nice and look like a truck a should. Especially that custom one. They sit high which is unusual for GM/Chevy and Ram went the opposite way it seems and slammed the new ones. Anything but the rebels are hideous in my opinion and they did a terrible job. Soft lines and basically look like Japanese truck now

I hear ya, the 5th gens are still growing on me from an exterior standpoint but I still prefer the looks of the 4th gen. Would love a 4th gen with 5th gen interior, but eventually I will probably just end up in a 5th. The only thing I can't agree on with ya is the new chevys, I think they are hideous and they still remind me of a pickup version of the pontiac aztec. I find the GMC to be better looking, but still hate the chevy from the front or the back, the sides look ok (and much better without the square wheel wells). Exterior styling is subjective of course, interior quality still strikes me as cheap and behind the times other than their camera system and hud...just not impressed with much of anything GM is putting out anymore, as much as that pains me to say.

Agree on the rebel and sports for the 5th gens though, by far the best looking.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya, the 5th gens are still growing on me from an exterior standpoint but I still prefer the looks of the 4th gen. Would love a 4th gen with 5th gen interior, but eventually I will probably just end up in a 5th. The only thing I can't agree on with ya is the new chevys, I think they are hideous and they still remind me of a pickup version of the pontiac aztec. I find the GMC to be better looking, but still hate the chevy from the front or the back, the sides look ok (and much better without the square wheel wells). Exterior styling is subjective of course, interior quality still strikes me as cheap and behind the times other than their camera system and hud...just not impressed with much of anything GM is putting out anymore, as much as that pains me to say.

I think the new Chevys look much better then the 5th gens. The only thing that looks worse is the Nissan Titan, but not by much.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Ha ha ha. I can see where you get the Aztec reference lol.

They need to beef up the 5th Gen and square it up a bit. Agreed, GM interiors are very lacking and cheap looking. But I drive an express and everything I touch is hard black plastic so.... lol also probably one of the ugliest interiors is my truck

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the new Chevys look much better then the 5th gens. The only thing that looks worse is the Nissan Titan, but not by much.

Certainly to each their own, I agree the 5th gens look generic and too much like some other brands, whereas the 4th gen is easily set apart from the others looks wise. I guess in this case though, I'd rather take the generic over the extremely ugly(just my opinion, I know some people like the look). Of course there's many other factors as well, so exterior styling is only one thing to look at, that's the reason I'll likely get a 5th gen. The interior quality and how it drives are big positives for the ram and most of the reason I've stayed with them.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha ha ha. I can see where you get the Aztec reference lol.

They need to beef up the 5th Gen and square it up a bit. Agreed, GM interiors are very lacking and cheap looking. But I drive an express and everything I touch is hard black plastic so.... lol also probably one of the ugliest interiors is my truck

Haha yeah it's just the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the new silverado for the first time, and I haven't been able to shake the association since then.

As far as the interiors, I'm just not sure of their strategy. On the lower trim levels it's fine but they really lack on the mid to upper levels, just not sure why they can't compete with everyone else at this point when interiors are becoming more important in sales. Love that 6.2 drive train tough for sure!

Pezrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it is 4x4 as well (no 4wd auto)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Nice truck! If 1500's came with a crew and 8 ft. bed I'd buy it! Any weekend warrior that has children knows why. Crew with 6.5 will be the best we get in the 1500 though.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The new Silverado is the worst looking truck I can recall ever seeing. It's the Sarah Jessica Parker of vehicles.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to like the look of Chevy trucks but I'm with you guys now. I've seen a few in person and they are butt ugly. As for 5th gens, they aren't ugly. As others have put it, they look neutered and generic. That's why I bought a classic.

kaHonu37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A) styling - didn't like the looks of the 5th Gen (no offense meant, just my personal preference)
2) Price - the incentives on the Classic were exceptional
3) Styling - Still don't like the looks of the 5th Gen
4) Bugs - never liked buying the newest model until the bugs were worked out
5) Did I mention Styling?

I would add the additional 4” added to wheel base. Makes parallel parking a little more difficult for the wife.

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why? I couldn't pass up the $26,400, tax, title, and licemse included price of my gently used 2019 SLT 4x4.

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Price played a big role for me. Sticker was $45k and I got it for $32k

2019 Classic Warlock

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Price. Fully loaded barely used 2019 classic big horn sticker $45,000 got it for $27,000 out the door.

I also like the look better than the 5th gen.

after lots of research I saw where people were having trouble with the 5th gens and they are manufactured at 2 new plants. I decided to stick with the true tested 4th gen and let others work out the bugs in the 5th gen.

been there done that when the 2011 Durango’s came back. Great vehicle but was in shop too much.