Why don't we ever discuss air filters?

Do you like factory air box?

• Yes, factory air is good enough for me.

Votes: 68 64.2%
  • No, I really like CAI's or other minor upgrades to air.

Votes: 39 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air filtration is EXTREMELY important to engine longevity. The engineers at FCA, GM, Ferd, etc have designed the air intakes on their vehicles to flow as well as possible while maintaining proper filtration. Fine dust in an engine over time is bad news.

I have the ACDelco equivalent air filter for the 5.7 trucks coming and should be here early next week. I will post some pics and my thoughts on it when I get it. If its a good filter, I'd say run it because its about $10 cheaper than the Mopar filter.

Another thing I'm going to add here, I've 2 different CAIs for this truck, the S&B and the Vararam Air Grabber, and the only one I felt any difference on was the Air Grabber. But after seeing that test that @Burla put in the OP, my stock intake is back on my truck. With one exception: the lower airbox of an Ecodiesel. It takes the same filter as the stock 5.7 air box but the inlet tube is about 50% bigger. Cost me about $60 and its OEM parts. I verified with my Trinity that it flows virtually the same as a Vararam albeit slightly worse. Also it doesn't look as cool.

Been running an AC Delco air filter in my 2018 for the past 5k miles. So far so good. Fit well and is less expensive than OEM. I don't recall since it's been awhile, but I think the AC Delco was very similar to the OEM when placed side-by-side....wish I had taken a picture.

Last edited:

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
OEM for me.

I was going to try “Green” but after Cory’s find im going to look for an AC Delco for my 6.4. If i cant find that it will be OEM as i always have.

I got a WIX one time and was not impressed with the construction compared OEM.

GOOD FIND @Hemi395 !!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
I won’t buy wiz again either.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been running an AC Delco air filter in my 2018 for the past 5k miles. So far so good. Fit well and is less expensive than OEM. I don't recall since it's been awhile, but I think the AC Delco was very similar to the OEM when placed side-by-side....wish I had taken a picture.
Assuming you have a 2018 HEMI Ram1500, do you happen to know the AC Delco part number by chance...? What did the AC Delco cost you...?

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder how good the Fram Ultra Guard air filter works. I`ve not seen a test for those.

I`m at 17,000 miles on the original filter, and the original OEM filter still looks great, and i shined a light thru it, can still see alotta light shinning thru it.

K&N...pffffff, never again.

Last edited:

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Assuming you have a 2018 HEMI Ram1500, do you happen to know the AC Delco part number by chance...? What did the AC Delco cost you...?

Purchased from Rock Auto. PN's below for both air filter and cabin air filter. Think I paid $15 for air filter and $6.5 for cabin filter.

upload_2019-4-1_10-20-0.png

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run the factory airbox and an AEM Dryflow filter. No warranty voiding changes and ye old butt-dyno says it's peppier that it was with the factory filter.

I considered an aftermarket system like the Varam(sp?) that frees up the airbox area for a 2nd battery, but they have so many issues I decided against it.

-K
Me too. AEM filter with factory box is damn good as it is.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Call me nuts but I just buy the cheapest paper style air filter from Rock Auto and replace them every 15k miles. I prefer the ones with the gauze/mesh style pre-filter. Clevite LX2923 is only $6 or so.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
OEM works and it tested and the same cannot be said for any of the aftermarket filters. It is like the so-called HEPA shop vac filters sold in the big box stores that are not certified or tested and so no recognized by the feds for use in lead paint or asbestos situations.

What most folks do not know is that air filters, as with oil filters, are the least effective when new. They are designed to still allow enough air or oil to pass through until they are replaced. Until a new filter has had a certain amount of loading it let far more particles pass through the media. With small pickups there is little space for large air and oil filters as one finds on big rigs and so duty life if going to be less.

If spending a lot of time off-road then the life of the filters will be shorter and this is why in general the fleet operators with the big rigs are switching over to hours of operation as miles driven is not nearly as good an indicator.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm using Wix 42725, i run a blower through it every 3 weeks or so to blow all the dust out as i run the truck in the dirt pretty much every other weekend. i'm replacing every 10k miles or so.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I run the K&N reusable air filter (oiled) with my CAI, air is directed thru a scoop behind my grille to the filter, and air is dumped into the filter from above thru the hood scoop.

View media item 26429

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been using K&N filters for awhile now. I even get the K&N oil filters .
5I4qA7.jpg

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Too much hassle factor for me. Washing, blowing out with air, oiling (what a freaking messy chore)....
I highly doubtful any of that translates to perceptable increases in horse or longevity.
I characterize these chore air filters as a money making scheme, catering to people who aren't engineers and don't do controlled blind studies, but want to feel inside (or brag on the outside) about look-at-what-i-can-do and feel special about themselves while they waste the 27 minutes every quarter doing air chores instead of throwing the ball with the kid or taking a walk with the wife.

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wrote in the other thread I don't like the test posted here. It travels around the whole world and virtually shows nothing useful. Find the one that works for you. In case of paper filter take a look at the surface area provided and sealing, in case of K&N and other cotton filters take a look at the inside of the intake tube and filter after some time of using it, no worry if it is clean - https://www.ramforum.com/threads/k-n-drop-in-air-filter-and-my-mpgs.136207/page-3#post-1947317 You should get

You should get a better idea of how things do work or don't and an independent test result.

Anyway I do like the air box upgrade from ecodiesel parts, this is a logical step forward.

Kytow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Factory box with AEM dry filter drop in. Just like that its reusable.ba822db4dc86b083976b65e4481d0d3c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6speedcummins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I replaced my stock filter with an Airaid dry filter and intake pipe. The stock intake pipe on the Cummins has baffles on the inside to kill the turbo wine. I want to hear my turbo but also free up the air passage. In a few days I'll be upgrading to a Banks CAI, I prefer a cone filter over flat for more surface area (flow) and I'll be able to use a pre-filter. I hate washing out large particles like bugs from deep inside the pleats.

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hemi Ram does not have a MAF sensor. They rely on a speed/density system that primarily uses a MAP sensor.

Gotcha. Well with the Legmaker they have you relocate that sensor. Wondered if that caused any problems for anyone.

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Too much hassle factor for me. Washing, blowing out with air, oiling (what a freaking messy chore)....
I highly doubtful any of that translates to perceptable increases in horse or longevity.
I characterize these chore air filters as a money making scheme, catering to people who aren't engineers and don't do controlled blind studies, but want to feel inside (or brag on the outside) about look-at-what-i-can-do and feel special about themselves while they waste the 27 minutes every quarter doing air chores instead of throwing the ball with the kid or taking a walk with the wife.

Don't need a blind study to know I love the sound while driving it. That's reason enough for me. Never mind the extra 15 hp they claim to have added on a dyno .

Looking at catch can now.

https://www.addw1.com

Last edited: