Why don't we ever discuss air filters?

Do you like factory air box?

• Yes, factory air is good enough for me.

Votes: 68 64.2%
  • No, I really like CAI's or other minor upgrades to air.

Votes: 39 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Lol working on that guys. I'll post the link to the thread which will have PNs and screenshots of my Trinity pids

didnt mean to steal on your thunder, I didn't know you were putting a thread together, but good to discuss this one.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stuck with the factory airbox and replace the paper element every 10K miles whether it needs it or not. As long as the filter has a similar number of pleats and the thickness is equal or better I'm not too particular about the brand. I realize 10K is overkill but its cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you have a link for this test GDE did?
I'm looking for where they mentioned in a thread on a different forum.
Here are some side by side comparisons to a Fram and Wix air filter compared to the Mopar which is made in the USA(others made in China)20150627_094056.jpeg20161213_173847.jpeg

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
yeah for 38 bucks, might just go with Mopar. I don't want my filter moving around letting air inro the sides. thanks Crash.

$38 is not bad compared to the trans filters.

They were $75 a few months ago at the dealer. And i cut the spin on open[emoji23][emoji23][emoji2957]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So are taller pleats better for flow or filtration? Or both?
More surface area(taller pleats) allows more flow or less restriction at lower flows. That goes hand in hand with how fine the filter is, the better the filtration (more restriction to larger particles) the more filter area needed to pass the same amount of air.
More surface area also hold more dirt, so people who live in dusty areas can have longer service life from the taller pleats.
Since your running the EcoD lower air box you might as well run the EcoD/6.4 Hemi air filter too. If my rough maths is correct, the 6.4 Hemi moves about 27 cfm more @ 1000 rpms in comparison to the 5.7 Hemi

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Especially with a turbo engine: Clean cool air going to that turbo should be your #1 priority!
I know for some/most it is almost the most neglected.

All my family autos air filters get replaced every 30K miles.
Before every winter I will take them all out - Blow them out with my air compressor and clean the filter housing & air intake tube - Then replace the filter.

I will also clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor with the appropriate cleaner.

Great Thread Burla!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Especially with a turbo engine: Clean cool air going to that turbo should be your #1 priority!
I know for some/most it is almost the most neglected.

All my family autos air filters get replaced every 30K miles.
Before every winter I will take them all out - Blow them out with my air compressor and clean the filter housing & air intake tube - Then replace the filter.

I will also clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor with the appropriate cleaner.

Great Thread Burla!

Just curious, what cleaner do you use to clean the mag filter ? Thanks syn

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I ran the stock filter on my 06 cummins for 83,000 miles. and found that the filter is fine the rest was junk. the piping got a crack in it and i had no idea. tell i was going to up grade to the cool hose. and found a lot of dirt in the turbo. now the first thing i do is install an S&B CAI.

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wish someone would make a good replacement intake tube besides legmaker. I guess if we don’t have one now we never will

I've been peeking at that. Is it worth the price being that it's just the tube? Also moving the MAF sensor makes me kinda nervous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93