• The truck isn't what I expected it to be

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • I've got what I could afford and hopes of upgrading it as I go

Votes: 72 32.0%
  • I didn't do enough research before I bought

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • I didn't do enough research before I bought

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • None of the above. I have exactly the truck I want.

Votes: 114 50.7%
  • Not one of these choices represent why I don't have the truck I want

Votes: 9 4.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the truck I wanted off the lot, I gave my dealer a list of “must haves” and “definitely not” options. They found it and brought it to the dealership for me. I still really like it and have no plans of getting something different.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I have a badass 16 1500 sport but I want a badass 2500 Power Wagon... Problem is my 4th gen barely fits in my garage, and by the time I get tired of it the new 5th gen will be my only option. The extra length of the 5th gen 1500 will not let me close my garage door. Never mind trying to fit a 2500 with a 6’4” bed. Yeah it’s that tight. The garage sorts my weather, security, and detailing needs. When the time comes, I will opt to get back into a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and resort to using my 4x8 high side trailer whenever I need to haul something. Luckily I’m only at 42k miles on my truck, so who knows what will happen between now and then.

91C4F512-4F4C-4E95-8F4B-87E464427EE6.jpeg

Last edited:

holtff1074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm at #4. Reason being as my 07 hit 95K I felt it a good idea to go for a gen 4 as I liked the new look.Also I understood that the 5.7 offered lil more power and also the addition of some nice electronics was a plus. I had my mind sat on a nice low mile Larimie w/all bells whistles. Found a 15 with DK blue exterior and sweet black leather and @ about 40k on the clock in a dearby city dealer. Had agreed to purchase once we hassled on price/doc fees etc and they met my number. Told them I had a couple days before closing as I was wanting to schedule my trip back the same day I had a doc appt.I kept getting calls daily as THEY would schedule when I needed to come in and I had to remind them of my time frame. The day b4 I was to return I had the check cut and was anxious to go trade my truck. I received a call was I was still at work from the salesperson I delt with. He informed me during his day off......my choice truck had been sold. I...uh..uh Politely(?) gave him my best wishes and informed him I would move forward never to visit that Dealership again. So...still hunting as I went to a local to check a 016 they had and during tryout I spotted the 017 Bighorn in dark Octain? Red. While no leather or nav...had only 2371 miles and learned returned due to older couple whos Mrs had difficulty with entry. So selling my 07 to CarMax for 10k I paid a balance of 20k for my Bighorn. Yea I miss those extras,especially leather.But I love the truck and with the color naming the truck was easy. Oh....ironic thing....the salesman who sold to me,was son of a manager from the other dealer who's head boss contacted me trying to make good for future business.My reply......uh NO,well something like that!

1.75 tall X 6 or so inches HellBoy 2.0 a.jpg

Last edited:

Killingsworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I didnt do enough research before buying. I needed a truck, found a great deal, and bought it. If I had a do over, I would have purchased a white Ram Sport Night Edition.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have what I want and need. It's paid off and hauls my 5th wheel around just fine.

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I settled w/ my first Ram, a 2wd 09 1500 Laramie..... 4wd's weren't shipping yet, the deal was good & I had an immediate need for a truck. Drove the hell out of it for 9yrs & 140K. My first was great for figuring out what wanted & more importantly, what I did not want. Had time on my side when I bought my current & got exactly the truck I wanted.

OP
OP
averageguy

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I settled w/ my first Ram, a 2wd 09 1500 Laramie..... 4wd's weren't shipping yet, the deal was good & I had an immediate need for a truck. Drove the hell out of it for 9yrs & 140K. My first was great for figuring out what wanted & more importantly, what I did not want. Had time on my side when I bought my current & got exactly the truck I wanted.
Live and learn. That's how I knew what I wanted when I ordered my current truck, from all the good and bad I experienced with other vehicles. I almost wished I got air suspension until I heard enough about problems with that it made me glad I didn't get it. Everything else is good. A lot of extras I don't use or need but they are there if I change my mind.

Krein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lets just say I have and love what I got( my dream truck sense I was a little kid) BUT if I had the money it would most defintley be a Power Wagon

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What I needed and wanted was a 4WD with 3.92, limited slip, Alpine and leather (because of how badly our dogs shed). Found a new 17 Laramie cheap and I’m good

Can’t believe my first pickup cost $2,615 out the door!

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Why you ask....because they haven’t made a 1500 sport model with an SRT package. Until then I’ll never have the truck I want, I’ll just be settling.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It isnt rust proof with 50 mpg lol

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
Because I can't justify a Power Wagon. Got the next best thing, fully loaded Outdoorsman. Got the good transfer case, 3.92s, and all the luxury for 30k... But damn, the PW is sexy as hell

Raylan Givens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Crew
Engine
Truck I want doesn't currently exist.
I have to agree. I want an turbo inline 6 with the eTorque, or maybe Toyota will come out with a killer Hybrid setup for the Tundra.

I want the impossible...good mpg out of an almost three ton vehicle.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Raylan Givens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Crew
Engine
I have a badass 16 1500 sport but I want a badass 2500 Power Wagon... Problem is my 4th gen barely fits in my garage, and by the time I get tired of it the new 5th gen will be my only option. The extra length of the 5th gen 1500 will not let me close my garage door. Never mind trying to fit a 2500 with a 6’4” bed. Yeah it’s that tight. The garage sorts my weather, security, and detailing needs. When the time comes, I will opt to get back into a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and resort to using my 4x8 high side trailer whenever I need to haul something. Luckily I’m only at 42k miles on my truck, so who knows what will happen between now and then.

View attachment 150837
This is a big reason for me too. It is amazing not having to scrape a windshield

I walked around with a tape measure when I looked for a truck (the salespeople obliged). I had no idea what to expect, I had been driving a ZJ for fifteen years. My ZJ was actually shorter than my wife's CRV, cars/trucks keep getting bigger.

When my kids are older, or move out. A midsize would probably be better for me.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm never satisified with anything i own in the sense i think i need to modify stuff out in order to make it better. With the RAM i had some basic needs.., I wanted 4x4, 3.92's, AC/Heater, AM/FM Radio, 4 full doors and rear camera. Factory won't give me a truck with 35's, 17" wheels and 2.5" lift that sounds mean on startups and giving it gas, so i had to look into the aftermarket to get there and while most buy a pickup truck to haul/tow, i needed a pickup truck i could mod to to make it more capable for overlanding/offroading tasks just cause it fits my lifestyle and the familiy size i have. The factory doesn't offer anything for my needs i want in any trim level, so i have to go aftermarket and mod it my way, Would i mod a Ferrari, A Lambo, a Raptor, Boat, Airplane, etc,etc ? you can bet the house on that.... if it's stock it sucks for me, can't help it, parking sensors, big screens, back massagers and all the other BS manufacturers think we need for comfort and safety are chit for me and i wouldn't pay a dime for them, so in essence i get the basics i want/need, then add the mods manufacturers are to ***** to add for me :)

Last edited:

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I'm not judging I'm just wondering. A lot of people seem to want to make major modifications, or buy a higher end model truck. I don't mean different tires or a muffler change but a lot of people want to make thousands of dollars in changes or go buy a whole different truck because their's doesn't satisfy them.

I basically have the truck I want but (none of) the manufacturers actually build the truck I need. None come with factory lift kits and tires for (my) South Eastern hunting/fishing/off-road needs. None come with suspensions that *I* consider to be heavy duty. All of the trucks come with ridiculously restrictive computer and electronic systems and a ridiculous assortment of "accessories" and "controls" (knobs for transmission and transfer case control are just truly idiotic IMO). All of the trucks come with ridiculously inefficient drive trains. Don't even get me started on the @#$^ unit bearings instead of full float front ends.

Basically, I consider the new models of trucks (and going back a half dozen models or so) to be wholly inferior to what *I* need. Hence the lift kit, larger tires, unit bearing delete, EPA exhaust delete, skid plates, nerf bars and other modifications that I make to my truck for work and play. I drive a -truck- not a car.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the truck that I wanted..

Had very basic wants.. a loaded truck is nice but 90% of those extra features I wouldn’t use and seeing as this was more geared toward being my ‘work truck’ the simpler the better. I didn’t want to pay extra for a Laramie just to risk getting the interior covered in paint :)

Wants CC, 4wd, any color but black, body color bumpers, v8,... an express checked all those boxes for me.

Even though a power wagon would be nicely but in all reality I would just be throwing away money since with work I’m on the road working most of the year I tend to rack up miles easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro