Why is that steering wheel so hot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our fathers and grandfathers would be laughing at us complaining about heated steering wheels being too hot! Once you have a heated steering wheel, you don’t want to drive a car without it in cold temps!

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Our fathers and grandfathers would be laughing at us complaining about heated steering wheels being too hot! Once you have a heated steering wheel, you don’t want to drive a car without it in cold temps!
Sounds like you guys complaining need to toughen up your hands LOL. I've had 3 fourth gen and now a 5th generation Ram with heated steering wheels and none were toohot!

captainronpo614

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998-2005-2014
Engine
5.9-5.9-6.7 CTD's
Mine is too hot to leave on, but I love that it and the seat heat come on automatically when I remote start the truck, but only when it's cold out. Wish the passenger seat could be set to come on like that (to make the wife happy).

Let her drive .......Naaaaaw......

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Man we have it so hard LMAO I still drive a truck that has roll down windows and no Air lol , BUT now I have a 2003 with Air conditioning and feel spoiled .

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd much rather have it get too hot and need to turn it off than have it never get hot enough. I'd much rather drive without needing gloves on.

You know, I’ve never understood the need for gloves- unless you just lived up north of the border where it got down to 30, 40 below because even back when I lived in Colorado where it would get down to below zero on quite a few occasions, I never needed gloves. I just always warmed my vehicles before I left. I never was one of those where all I had to see out the windshield was a little bitty circle...lol. My wheel would be a little chilly but not cold enough to hold on to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
You know, I’ve never understood the need for gloves- unless you just lived up north of the border where it got down to 30, 40 below because even back when I lived in Colorado where it would get down to below zero on quite a few occasions, I never needed gloves. I just always warmed my vehicles before I left. I never was one of those where all I had to see out the windshield was a little bitty circle...lol. My wheel would be a little chilly but not cold enough to hold on to.

After spending most of my adult life in Florida, I'm a wimp when it comes to cold. My body is used to 120+ 90° days a year and cold is anything under 65°

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After spending most of my adult life in Florida, I'm a wimp when it comes to cold. My body is used to 120+ 90° days a year and cold is anything under 65°

I could understand that; my point was geared more towards if you let your vehicle warm up, you shouldn’t need gloves on in any occasion or based on any outside temp, or one’s own sensitivity to it.

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I could understand that my point was geared more towards if you let you’re vehicle warm up, you shouldn’t need gloves on any occasion or based on any outside temp.

Gotcha, can't do that when it's in a garage and I'm not about to get geared up, pull it out, go inside, ditch the gear for 10 minutes and then go back out. I get in and go....

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotcha, can't do that when it's in a garage and I'm not about to get geared up, pull it out, go inside, ditch the gear for 10 minutes and then go back out. I get in and go....

Huh?....lol. If it’s garage-kept, it shouldn’t be that cold, even if the garage wasn’t even really all that great insulated so it brings us back to the beginning of why gloves are even needed if the vehicle isn’t all that cold in it due to being kept in a garage?...lol

Even if my truck could fit in the garage- and even if I fought my girlfriend from parking her car in the garage, I wouldn’t want my truck in there anyways- unless there’s a threat of a hailstorm on the forecast, because I can’t just get into my truck and take off when it’s cold. I don’t believe in driving it before it’s had a little bit of a chance to warm up, even on a warm day but that’s just me.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Huh?....lol. If it’s garage-kept, it shouldn’t be that cold, even if the garage wasn’t even really all that great insulated so it brings us back to the beginning of why gloves are even needed if the vehicle isn’t all that cold in it due to being kept in a garage?...lol
apatalk
Well, up in Michigan it gets below freezing IN the garages. Grab on to the freezing wood steering wheel and you will figure out gloves are needed if it weren't for the heated wheel feature.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, up in Michigan it gets below freezing IN the garages. Grab on to the freezing wood steering wheel and you will figure out gloves are needed if it weren't for the heated wheel feature.

My bad, I didn’t realize you were up in Michigan and no longer a Floridian...lol.

But anywho, I’ve never had my vehicles parked in a garage so warming them up in the morning to defrost the windows or heat the interior when it’s cold has never been an issue.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn with heated seats and steering wheel. It was chilly this morning so I turned on the heater seats and steering wheel. After awhile I had to turn off the heated steering wheel, it started to become uncomfortable it was do hot. Anyone elses steering wheel hot as heck? I don't see an option to lower the heat, like I have with my seats.
I wonder if they will come out with AC steering for cars in Florida , asking for a friend LOL

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
My bad, I didn’t realize you were up in Michigan and no longer a Floridian...lol.

But anywho, I’ve never had my vehicles parked in a garage so warming them up in the morning to defrost the windows or heat the interior when it’s cold has never been an issue.

Just throw some hot water on thewinshield to remove the ice. And the glass.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just throw some hot water on thewinshield to remove the ice. And the glass.

Yeah, ok. lol. Although however I have seen people do that and have yet to see them crack a windshield but that’s OK, I’ll just let my engine idle and warm the cabin up and thaw the frost from the windshield the proper way… LOL

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah, ok. lol. Although however I have seen people do that and have yet to see them crack a windshield but that’s OK, I’ll just let my engine idle and warm the cabin up and thaw the frost from the windshield the proper way… LOL

Try using a frost blocker (or equivalent). I keep one of these on my car that's parked outside during the winter. It really helps speed up the process in the mornings.
https://www.costco.com/FrostBlocker-Windshield-and-Mirror-Cover,-2-pack.product.100504960.html

I've read too many bad things about idling these hemi's. That's one of the suspected causes of the issue with cam and lifter wear. Not enough oil flow to the cam at low rpm's. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I do know that idling any gasoline engine for extended periods is not the best thing for them.

I let mine warm up for 60 to 90 seconds at the most. But I also park in a detached garage. The garage is unheated, and has no insulation. So it's almost as cold in there as it is outside. But there's no need to clear snow and ice in the mornings.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try using a frost blocker (or equivalent). I keep one of these on my car that's parked outside during the winter. It really helps speed up the process in the mornings.
https://www.costco.com/FrostBlocker-Windshield-and-Mirror-Cover,-2-pack.product.100504960.html

I've read too many bad things about idling these hemi's. That's one of the suspected causes of the issue with cam and lifter wear. Not enough oil flow to the cam at low rpm's. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I do know that idling any gasoline engine for extended periods is not the best thing for them.

I let mine warm up for 60 to 90 seconds at the most. But I also park in a detached garage. The garage is unheated, and has no insulation. So it's almost as cold in there as it is outside. But there's no need to clear snow and ice in the mornings.

I’ve seen those things but I just rather idle my vehicle and will warm it up then I don’t have to take time to fool with that thing and still not have to scrape my windshield.

But yeah, I’ve heard of a lot of that as well and whether or not the majority of that is from people who don’t use good enough oil, or a really cheap 20 weight semi synthetic or synthetic blend and crappy filter that they wait eight, 9000 miles to change, following the manufacturers exact recommendations to the T or not but I would expect that as long as you’re using a true fully synthetic, PAO-based group 4 engine oil Or at least a group three synthetic with a very good stout additive package and a good quality synthetic media oil filter that you change long before seven or 8000 miles, that you’re probably not going to fall victim to that even if you’re like me who does a lot of idling.

I’m not saying that what I do is completely 100% affective and totally beats even on the coldest day, only letting your engine warm up for barely over a minute before you take off in it forcing all that cold oil through your filter which is probably not filtering it at all because of the bypass valve probably being open until the oil warms up enough to where it can flow through the filter rather than bypassing it, and forcing all that cold oil throughout your transmission.

Prolonged periods of hot idling might be bad for lubrication to those farthest away lifters on that part of the cam but taking off in a cold engine is generally not a good idea either. Think about all that unfiltered oil that’s getting pushed throughout your engine…

My last oil analysis was actually not bad considering that I do a lot of idling and that I have a lot of really short city trips to and from work and home even though my iron content was a little bit high but that’s why I have recently upped the ante and moved from 5W20 Pennzoil ultra premium or platinum whatever it’s called, to the Amsoil signature series 5W20 that supposedly has a whole lot more of a stouter additive package that contains a lot more anti-wear additives.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if they will come out with AC steering for cars in Florida , asking for a friend LOL

I've been talking about wanting one of those for years now, even living in NY. I remote start my truck in summer frequently and it is nice to have a cool seat and cabin but that steering wheel is still red hot!

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
I have owned two 2019 Laramies, the first a 1500 and that wheel got HOT ! My current 2500 TD, the wheel barely heats up, I wish it was hotter, Not sure why there is no rhyme or reason

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mikeru,
The Ice Blocker is like I tried to use in SW Oklahoma. The ice at times would be so thick like 1/2 to an inch that the "blocker was underneath the ice so I had to chisel the ice off to get to the "blocker".

Talking about our fathers and grandfathers calling us wimps. Well I am 71. First off I enjoy the warm seats and steering wheels, just wish the steering wheel heat would come on at 50 degrees.

I remember living in Germany in the 60's. I had a VW Beetle about a 1960 model with non forced warm air from the air cooled engine "finding" its way through some piping to the front seat, sometimes and then only at a top speed of 65 mph. I always carried an ice scraper for the inside of the windshield. One hand on the wheel the other on the scraper. What an experience. But I was a college kid and having fun, wouldn't trade it for anything. Now I am an old wimp.