Why is there a Classic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'll agree and say the 5th gen 1500 while not a bad looking vehicle is very generic and something looks off about the front, but the 5th gen rebels and HDs look pretty damn good I think.

The 4th gens are iconic and look good but are dated and definately not in style anymore especially if you need to show status in society, so switching to the 5th gen only makes sense

In my opinion the 5th gen ram while not perfect is still better looking than the competition and has modern appeal vs the 4th gen

The new tundras at least are interesting and force you to love it or hate it.
So glad I'm not concerned with needing to show my "status" to society.

RamDutyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Bought mine during pandemic, when chip shortages meant a lot. Classic has the features I wanted without the advanced braking and adaptive cruise control needing chips. We have that stuff on the Honda. Had a low-flying bird kick off the emergency braking. 'Sides, work trucks are cool. And so many used parts are available. Maybe one day a super fancy one, but for now, the seat warmers just hit my tore up lower back better than anything we've owned. To each his own. Just make it a Ram, and we're good.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's something interesting a buddy recently sent me: Ram throwback to 1979 Palomino. What do you guys think of this?

Looks like a 4th Gen with a 5th gen-inspired custom front end. To my eye it looks fantastic. I might be one of the few who likes the new Ram front end. Where do I get one!! LOL

1667958920487.png

Article:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for all the input. Interesting to get everyone's perspective. I didn't buy a Ram for the looks at all. I bought it for the Cummins. But I have to say, and I mean no offense, I much
Here's something interesting a buddy recently sent me: Ram throwback to 1979 Palomino. What do you guys think of this?

Looks like a 4th Gen with a 5th gen-inspired custom front end. To my eye it looks fantastic. I might be one of the few who likes the new Ram front end. Where do I get one!! LOL
Not a fan, especially of the plaid on the interior.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, I'm not putting anyone's decision down here. I'm a big believer in live and let live. But I'm curious why someone would pick a brand new Classic over a brand new 5th gen. Are they cheaper? Folks like the older looks better?
Not gonna bother reading through all the other comments but you pretty much guessed it. In my opinion, the Dodge/Ram truck line has always been up pretty good looking truck up until 2019 when that new fifth GEN body style came out. And the classics are still brand new trucks that you can buy them as and they’re cheaper depending on how fancy you compare to with the new body styles. I’m not sure if they’re still stamping out fourth GEN body panels and such or if they’re just using up leftover stock but if they aren’t using up what could be considered as replacement parts for somebody someday then that’s great.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Like Harley riders, RAM owners don't like to absorb a lot of change at a quick pace. The fact that they only updated forward of the front doors on the 2500/3500 in 2019 is testament to this. They can't risk alienating the customer base with a new design they don't like....An since they sell wayyyy more 1500's, they provided the best of both worlds for both the new customer and the seasoned customer that was contemplating a new "Classic". Smart move on their part. Once again, they tread cautiously with the EV's, because they are not going to alienate the customer base with sudden change.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a good observation. I agree. They've kind of been doing that the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue RC trucks, then introduce 5th gen regular cab's one of these days. A lot of businesses use RC's as delivery and day-runners. I like the looks of the 5th gens. They both look good to me.

Someone at Chrysler who shepherded the idea through all the corporate waters, to produce both generations side-by-side, should get a healthy bonus for making it happen. I can guarantee that concept met a lot of headwinds. It's helping Ram gain a lot of marketshare. The only other time I've seen old and new models produced concurrently for many years was when Jeep kept producing the old-school XJ Cherokee after the ZJ Grand Cherokee was introduced in '93. They produced the XJ till 01. But the new Grand Cherokee (ZJ) was a more 'plush' and upscale vehicle, while the XJ (regular Cherokee) was more spartan and basic. So they didn't *quite* directly compete against each other like the Ram 4th and 5th gens.
Didn't Chevrolet have two generations of trucks out at the same time many years ago?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80008 miles

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I once swore that I'd never buy another Ram until they went back to making them look like a '47 DeSoto.;)

Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80008 miles

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Like Harley riders, RAM owners don't like to absorb a lot of change at a quick pace. The fact that they only updated forward of the front doors on the 2500/3500 in 2019 is testament to this. They can't risk alienating the customer base with a new design they don't like....An since they sell wayyyy more 1500's, they provided the best of both worlds for both the new customer and the seasoned customer that was contemplating a new "Classic". Smart move on their part. Once again, they tread cautiously with the EV's, because they are not going to alienate the customer base with sudden change.

I doubt the 2500 "half gen" was due to risking alienation. It was a cost cutting move, they simply couldn't afford to update the entire truck and 2500 buyers are probably less picky anyway since it's more about performance than looks.

If you look back through the years, Ram is not afraid to take risks. They had a number of "firsts", like panoramic sunroof, 5 link coil suspension, 4 corner air, ram boxes, large screens, transmission > 6 gears, stunning/luxury interiors. Even MDS was a first IIRC, very close to GM's in any case.

So they'll pump out features and make whatever changes they need to if they can afford it. They just spent all their money on the half ton and had less for the "less picky" 2500/3500 owners.

Generally third place vendors are not afraid to take risks. First place is where you see that type of stagnation (cough, Ford).

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Generally third place vendors are not afraid to take risks. First place is where you see that type of stagnation (cough, Ford).
Disagree. I hate Fords, but if you think they are risk averse, you haven't thought about the F150 all-aluminum body, the 2.7L turbo engines in same truck, the F150 EV, the 4-valve SVT heads, the Yamaha engine in the old SVT Taurus...I could go on. Another example is Chevy/Cadillac. GM has rarely ever rolled out first year accessories on a Chevy, fearing failure on a vehicle with wide distribution. Cadillac has always been their long term test bed...Disguised as luxury. Long before there was front wheel drive little gas savers, there was the Eldorado. 1980 saw Bosch fuel injection...That didn't hit anything Chevy until the crossfire POS system, in '82. Caddy V8-6-4 ring a bell?

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you count all the pickups that GM puts out (GMC+Chevy), they are number 1. Have been for a while now.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Disagree. I hate Fords, but if you think they are risk averse, you haven't thought about the F150 all-aluminum body, the 2.7L turbo engines in same truck, the F150 EV, the 4-valve SVT heads, the Yamaha engine in the old SVT Taurus...I could go on.

Disagree. They haven't done anything to their truck in years, especially in looks. Change the head/tail lights back to 2010 and see if there is any difference.

Not sure why you're talking about the SVT Taurus in a truck market. I didn't mean they were first place as a brand, just first (sell the most) in the truck space.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Disagree. They haven't done anything to their truck in years, especially in looks. Change the head/tail lights back to 2010 and see if there is any difference.
Ford came to market with the all aluminum body in 2015. You don't consider that "doing anything"? Completely different assembly process, body shop repair process, weight loss of 1k lbs, and increase in fuel mileage because of that, all while fighting off competitors claims of using, "beer cans for a body, and not steel". And still they hold most market share. The rest is
in the eye of the beholder. Here's 2022 vs 2015

1668096946690.png1668096904258.png

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Those are literally the same truck lol. Some minor front facia differences doesn't change anything unless you're suggesting a DT bighorn is a different truck from a DT limited. Now compare a 2010 Ram vs a 2022 Ram (DT), or a 2010 GMC/Chevy vs a 2022 GMC/Chevy, or a 2010 Tundra vs a 2022 Tundra. Even Toyota who is extremely conservative when it comes to new tech, showed more life by taking a chance on some far out styling (which I personally find ugly, but hey each to their own).

The aluminium was a bit of a risk, I'll grant you that, but generally speaking they are extremely conservative with their changes, especially interior and exterior styling/tweaks.

Let's face it: the F150 is nauseatingly stale and boring at this point. And that's a choice Ford made so as not to alienate their very large customer base with changes that might not be appreciated. It's worked so far for them, but I suspect we'll see a bigger styling update next time as GM and Ram are taking sales away.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Let's face it: the F150 is nauseatingly stale and boring at this point. And that's a choice Ford made so as not to alienate their very large customer base with changes that might not be appreciated.
Which goes to my original point of not changing too quickly. i agree...it's boring, and based on my 2016 experience, I wouldn't buy another one, from a quality perspective.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those are literally the same truck lol. Some minor front facia differences doesn't change anything unless you're suggesting a DT bighorn is a different truck from a DT limited. Now compare a 2010 Ram vs a 2022 Ram (DT), or a 2010 GMC/Chevy vs a 2022 GMC/Chevy, or a 2010 Tundra vs a 2022 Tundra. Even Toyota who is extremely conservative when it comes to new tech, showed more life by taking a chance on some far out styling (which I personally find ugly, but hey each to their own).

The aluminium was a bit of a risk, I'll grant you that, but generally speaking they are extremely conservative with their changes, especially interior and exterior styling/tweaks.

Let's face it: the F150 is nauseatingly stale and boring at this point. And that's a choice Ford made so as not to alienate their very large customer base with changes that might not be appreciated. It's worked so far for them, but I suspect we'll see a bigger styling update next time as GM and Ram are taking sales away.
Ford has, and has had for a very long time the most aggressive commercial fleet program in the business. They have the largest market share in the light/medium truck segment because typically <> 50% are commercial fleet sales.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80043 miles

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ford has, and has had for a very long time the most aggressive commercial fleet program in the business. They have the largest market share in the light/medium truck segment because typically <> 50% are commercial fleet sales.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80043 miles
Yep, they like giving out those slick incentives and price cuts that most fleets can't say no to. most don't care what it says on the grille, long as they can get 'em cheap.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep "The Mustache" grill styling just twigged my happy meter. Like that look vs the 5th Gen similarity with other makes.