Why is there a Classic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ford has had a few Major style revisions in the past. They haven't always worked for them either. People have been calling Toyota car boring for years too, and they lead the world in sales. Sometimes boring can be good (business). But with the Lightning, that's another risk Ford is taking.

Regardless, Ford trucks don't appeal to me in the least ...they'd have to do something pretty extraordinary. I'm not anti-ford ...just more "Pro" (other trucks).. lol

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to mention, most foreign car buyers are so enamored, with their own superior intelligence, that they could never admit to making a mistake.
Wife has a friend. Ex-Army Nurse, Super Patriot, Husband was active service Army Doc, at the time, now retired.

This Couple never buys anything American. Not a Single Thing.

Wife asked this friend if she could pick the Wife up, at the Dodge dealership because the Wife's new 2006 Caravan had to go in for recall repair.
This friend proceeded to tell the Wife that we should have gotten a Toyota Whateverthehell minivan, like hers, because she has never had a problem, Toyota's last forever, yada yada.

I laughed so hard, it actually made her mad, because she knew I was laughing at her.

Uh, Patty, did you forget why you got that new van, in the first place? Because your old one was killing you in repairs.
I have taken you to the dealership 3 times to get your new van out of the shop. I know the Wife has done it more.
You bought it after we got ours and this is its first trip in.
For an update, not because it gave us issues.

You're Hypocrisy has never ceased to amaze but your Denial is even more impressive.

Over 16 years ago, Husband is now retired but still nursing at the Govt Brea$t, as a Vet Clinic Doc.
They're split but they are both adamant, Foreign built products are Better.
You call them super Patriots. I call them traitors.

All the hype about selling and repairing foreign cars here in America is BS to me. In the end where do the profits go? To that foreign company and country.

And yes, there are many components in our American vehicles that are not made here and that should be corrected, but at least most of the profits stay here.

It's really hard to support and buy American these days.

Globalism dilutes the economy of responsible countries and caters to the irresponsible countries at the expense of the former.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You call them super Patriots. I call them traitors.

All the hype about selling and repairing foreign cars here in America is BS to me. In the end where do the profits go? To that foreign company and country.

And yes, there are many components in our American vehicles that are not made here and that should be corrected, but at least most of the profits stay here.

It's really hard to support and buy American these days.

Globalism dilutes the economy of responsible countries and caters to the irresponsible countries at the expense of the former.
That Toyota minivan was probably made in Indiana while the Dodge Caravan mentioned was probably made in Canada.

Do you consider buying a Ram now buying American? Italian / French ownership with some manufacturing in Mexico.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Toyota is listed on the NYSE (and pays a dividend, so you have the chance to pocket some of those profits) and Ford has some large foreign investors (a Canadian firm bought some 7 million shares this quarter). While I take your point, I think the answer to your question is more nuanced than "foreign company means profits go to foreign company". Alternatively, why do I care which rich guy gets richer if the factory in my community pays the locals a good wage? Japanese manufacturers keep quite a few of my friends employed at American companies in their supply chain.

I buy made in the US when possible and will pay more for it, but I buy what I want always.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you consider buying a Ram now buying American? Italian / French ownership with some manufacturing in Mexico.
I don’t know about @PoconoJoe but as far as I’m concerned, Chrysler’s still an American brand just despite being completely foreign owned for the last decade. Their product’s still designed here and marketed here by American workers in American buildings and so what if some manufacturing happens in Canada or Mexico. That’s nothing new for company’s moving production out of the country to cut costs and even though the profits go to Europe, those employees are here.

Who knows, maybe Chrysler can hopefully buy themselves out someday and go back to being an American-owned company as they should be but being that Chrysler hasn’t had the best of luck over the years that in my opinion, was screwed so badly by Daimler that it’s really no wonder why they are where they are right now but at least being owned by now Stellantis, they can take chances with risky ventures trying to get their rep back without having to worry a whole lot if something flops. There’s probably not a whole lot of people who like the new Grand Wagoneer but think about it; because of this, they were finally in the position to bring back a full-size SUV to the lineup to compete with the dominant GM SUVs. I’m not too terribly fond of the new Wagoneer myself but a lot of people are so who knows what’ll be next in the future.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t know about @PoconoJoe but as far as I’m concerned, Chrysler’s still an American brand just despite being completely foreign owned for the last decade. Their product’s still designed here and marketed here by American workers in American buildings and so what if some manufacturing happens in Canada or Mexico. That’s nothing new for company’s moving production out of the country to cut costs and even though the profits go to Europe, those employees are here.

Who knows, maybe Chrysler can hopefully buy themselves out someday and go back to being an American-owned company as they should be but being that Chrysler hasn’t had the best of luck over the years that in my opinion, was screwed so badly by Daimler that it’s really no wonder why they are where they are right now but at least being owned by now Stellantis, they can take chances with risky ventures trying to get their rep back without having to worry a whole lot if something flops. There’s probably not a whole lot of people who like the new Grand Wagoneer but think about it; because of this, they were finally in the position to bring back a full-size SUV to the lineup to compete with the dominant GM SUVs. I’m not too terribly fond of the new Wagoneer myself but a lot of people are so who knows what’ll be next in the future.
I don’t know Toyota as well, but the Honda Pilot / Passport / Ridgeline were designed in California and Ohio and manufactured in Alabama. Are they American vehicles?

I’m just pointing out that there is a lot more to judging the “American” factor of a car than the badge on the front, and some Japanese brand vehicles are more American than some big 3 vehicles.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don’t know Toyota as well, but the Honda Pilot / Passport / Ridgeline were designed in California and Ohio and manufactured in Alabama. Are they American vehicles?

I’m just pointing out that there is a lot more to judging the “American” factor of a car than the badge on the front, and some Japanese brand vehicles are more American than some big 3 vehicles.

One of they key differences is who are the corporate execs and where do they live. The head guy for Ram for example, is American and builds a truck that caters to Americans. Toyota's Tundra is not American, they have to get permission from dudes in Japan to do what they want, often they get turned down or have to compromise because the Tundra has to share platform and other stuff with Toyota's around the world. I forget where I saw that, pretty sure it was a YT video from Tim E as he was talking to one of their chiefs about the new Tundra.

Then there is the styling. Can you actually look at any product from Toyota ... the goofy, feminine looks, and say "yep, that's American?" Because I can't.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Well, I guess they could be if they were designed here but since there’s an incredible about of foreign-made parts on practially everything, place of design and adsembly kinda doesn’t matter and never has.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What gets me is that Ford is considered a better vehicle than Ram in a lot of reviews but why? Ford has their issues just like Ram and Chevy etc, etc. I remember Checking out the F150 forums when I was looking for a truck in 2017. I saw the Ram forums people would complain about lifters/ cams, manifold bolts etc and people discussed solutions & fixes. When someone complained on the F150 forums everyone told them to stop complaining, get over it etc. So back then there were less complaints about Ford because if you did you got trashed over it. So what sold me on my Ram is overall good reliability ( and if you maintained it then as reliable as Ford & chevy) and great support in the forums.

DaRealSully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi MDS
Getting back to the original question in the thread. 1. The classics are cheaper and 2. some of us older folks don't like all the fancy shmancy crap the newer vehicles are equipped with like lane departure correction, auto-braking, and the like. The classic line gave me a chance to pull a nice (non-hybrid) v8 without some of that extra crap. My new warlock beeps when it detects something behind me when I'm backing up. I learn to live with that ;-)

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
What gets me is that Ford is considered a better vehicle than Ram in a lot of reviews but why? Ford has their issues just like Ram and Chevy etc, etc. I remember Checking out the F150 forums when I was looking for a truck in 2017. I saw the Ram forums people would complain about lifters/ cams, manifold bolts etc and people discussed solutions & fixes. When someone complained on the F150 forums everyone told them to stop complaining, get over it etc. So back then there were less complaints about Ford because if you did you got trashed over it. So what sold me on my Ram is overall good reliability ( and if you maintained it then as reliable as Ford & chevy) and great support in the forums.

Honestly, if I went 1/2 ton I would have went F-150 this time. I was really really close to ordering the Tremor when I discovered the Joys of Power Wagon Ownership (tm). Ram has went up in price without going up in features in the same proportion. Ride quality is much closer than in the past, enough I'd have been happy with either. Interior luxury, Ram wins hands down. But F-150 has a transfer case that will both lock and do full time 4wd, has a front locker option, and comes it significantly cheaper than a comparable Rebel.

Dbye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased a 2022 1500 Classic with the Warlock package. It worked out great for me allowing me to get a full size Ram at a decent price. I’m glad Ram is still making it!

tone18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also just purchased a 2022 Warlock Hemi 54k sticker, pretty nicely equipped - paid $40,400 + tax - basic tacoma off roads we’re selling for the same price. Couldn’t pass it up

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
All of the Classic Rams, design , Engineering, Sheet Metal Stamps, etc. was paid for several years ago.
That allows Ram to keep customers happy & they can sell for less, at least up until they came out the current engine changes.

I would be buying a new 2023 Classic Ram eco-diesel or maybe a gas guzzling 5.7L within the next 12 months,
..... If they were still making the Eco-diesel or a 5.7L without the E-Torque, but you can't Factory Order either one currently.

Who really knows what the brand new 6 cylinder is going be like.

Right now it looks like i will drive my current vehicle, until something drastic happens & replace anything that breaks

I will not buy an Electric vehicle, until i can drive from my place in Southern California to Sparks Texas in 11 hours doing the speed limit, that is a distance 725 miles

Last edited:

svtnos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All of the Classic Rams, design , Engineering, Sheet Metal Stamps, etc. was paid for several years ago.
That allows Ram to keep customers happy & they can sell for less, at least up until they came out the current engine changes.

I would be buying a new 2023 Classic Ram eco-diesel or maybe a gas guzzling 5.7L within the next 12 months,
..... If they were still making the Eco-diesel or a 5.7L without the E-Torque, but you can't Factory Order either one currently.

Who really knows what the brand new 6 cylinder is going be like.

Right now it looks like i will drive my current vehicle, until something drastic happens & replace anything that breaks

I will not buy an Electric vehicle, until i can drive from my place in Southern California to Sparks Texas in 11 hours doing the speed limit, that is a distance 725 miles
they never offered a 4th gen/classic with the etorque. you can still go on heir website a build a 2023 ram classic with a 5.7

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Outside of the reason ram continues to sell classics, I purchased the classic for simplicity… ish. The technology on newer trucks is excessive in my opinion. Classics are still over computered but less so. I can pull a bar to move my seat. Turn an actual key to start the car. Pull a lever to move wheel up and down. Mechanical connections tend to be less problematic. Bonus, regular cab. Nothing cooler.
Father has a 2022 f250. Been to the shop 4 times for seat malfunctions.

pacu44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'll agree and say the 5th gen 1500 while not a bad looking vehicle is very generic and something looks off about the front, but the 5th gen rebels and HDs look pretty damn good I think.

The 4th gens are iconic and look good but are dated and definately not in style anymore especially if you need to show status in society, so switching to the 5th gen only makes sense

In my opinion the 5th gen ram while not perfect is still better looking than the competition and has modern appeal vs the 4th gen

The new tundras at least are interesting and force you to love it or hate it.
Agreed, I really like the current HDs 4.5 Gen... probly my favorite.

jcd302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want a regular cab long bed, you have to go with the Classic to get that, or jump to a 2500 (or Ford/GM).

CrazyTrain62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My $0.02 ...

I don't like paying for 'features' I don't want, and I don't want many. PS, PDB, PW, PL, and carpet and I'm good. Chrome bumpers while we are at it. And the clincher - a regular cab with an 8' bed.

I can put two street bikes in the bed and close the tailgate. Winning. The 4th gen is prettier to me. Not just prettier than the 5th gen, but prettier than all other trucks.

Ram 005 031422.jpg

After having a 2019 RCLB Tradesman for a while I factory ordered a 2022 I liked it so much.

Though they put microchips in everything now there are fewer in a Classic Tradesman. My special order took 6 weeks from placing the order to keys in my hand.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio