Why on Earth do people want to disable MDS? (Hemi newb here)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Also will that work with the 6 speed trans?
Yes. My 2018 2500 6.4 CC. We always drive around town or Hwy with gear selection at 6. When towing, We set tow/haul on "AND" set gear select at 6. The tow/haul programing differs in some years and other transmissions as other have posted.

ChargerX3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont see all the commotion about MDS. I cant feel, hear or tell a difference in driving my 17'. Pedal response is great, better than my 2016 Ford work truck by a long shot. Fuel mileage is great as well, 20+ MPG on the gauge (need to do it by hand to verify). 32 gallon tank, 20" wheels, MDS, 8 speed trans, 3.21 gears and she does great going down the road.

Now Im not estranged to fast cars either. I own several big block vintage Mopars as well as some newer turbocharged sports cars. 395HP in the Ram is a kick in the butt and it can haul a load. Im keeping my MDS.

prohunter4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reason I switched to Dodge from GM is the garbage A8. Had a 2017 SS Camaro that they could not fix. 5 different attempts, all failures. Finally lemoned it and bought a Scat Pack Charger. The combination of the AFM, crappy tuning,and garbage torque converters make the A8 all but useless. MDS is more of the same snake oil EPA ********.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have the MDS delete kit being installed this week but my trucks also having a whipple supercharger strapped onto my fully built engine (pistons, rods, crankshaft, camshaft, lifters, valves, valvesprings, pushrods)

With boost I didn’t trust the MDS shutting down half the cylinders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I watched that last night. Pretty decent uptick in mileage by just using the MDS. That said, I have NEVER used manual gear selection in my '18, and Im lucky to get about 14 mpg in the city. I love my Ram in every way, except for the abysmal fuel mileage.

GottaBeKD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best Response yet! ^^^^^^^^

Personally, Ah luv mah big ole Darge Ram Hemi gas suckin tire spinnin far breathin 12 mpg gettin 392 cu in beast. F*ck gas mileage. Life is measured in how many big wide grins you can remember. I never had a one runnin a 7000 lb truck on 196 cu in.

Enjoy the beast! Say it loud and often....."F*ck gas mileage". There, feels good don't it?!
Smiles per gallon

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Didn’t buy it for fuel mileage. Never said I did. However, I had hoped that with no payload and not pulling a trailer it would’ve resulted in better than 12-13 mpg. Sad to say, my ‘15 JK with 4.56’s pulled my trailer with that mileage. And Jeeps are the definition of a brick cutting the wind.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Didn’t buy it for fuel mileage. Never said I did. However, I had hoped that with no payload and not pulling a trailer it would’ve resulted in better than 12-13 mpg. Sad to say, my ‘15 JK with 4.56’s pulled my trailer with that mileage. And Jeeps are the definition of a brick cutting the wind.

I get around 16 or 17 around town and 20+ on the open road with MDS disabled....As long as I keep my foot out of it.
I don't care about fuel mileage much but I have checked it a few times to see how close the dash readout is.
Dash is usually within .5 mpg or so, close enough for me.

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah I really don’t know what’s going on with mine. Big Horn package, so 20” tires. 3.21 gears. Pulling my trailer it gets between 9 and 10 mpg. Unloaded city driving is about 13 mpg, and highway is about 17 mpg. I’ve had multiple people tell me something isn’t right....however no codes have ever been thrown, and according to my dealer this is normal mileage.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Yeah I really don’t know what’s going on with mine. Big Horn package, so 20” tires. 3.21 gears. Pulling my trailer it gets between 9 and 10 mpg. Unloaded city driving is about 13 mpg, and highway is about 17 mpg. I’ve had multiple people tell me something isn’t right....however no codes have ever been thrown, and according to my dealer this is normal mileage.

Something definitely isnt right... I can set my cruise at 60mph and get 23-24mpg easily, and I have a bone stock truck riding on 22'' wheels. My average MPG is at 19mpg right now...

One thing ive noticed about gas engines pulling trailers is that it doesnt matter if you're pulling a bicycle or an 18 wheeler you going to get around 9-10mpg, no matter what. I own a small 4 wheeler and a big Jeep Wrangler sitting on 35''s, I get the exact same gas mileage pulling either rig.

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good grief. So any ideas on what to look at?? Like I said, per my dealers service department, this is normal??

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I have a Longhorn with 20's and 3:21's.

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah I’m at a loss. Dealer said they’d look at it again at my next oil change. I’m not really expecting anything though.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Normal" fuel mileage depends on what one's definition of "normal" driving is. Easy driving on the rural roads around here I routinely see 18-19 mpg on the Lie-o-meter. In stop and go in town, that will drop to the 15-16 range easily; less if I drive more aggressively like rabbit starts and all. On the interstate, if I keep my speeds below 75, I see 20 to 21 all the time, again on the lie-o-meter. I ALWAYS disable the MDS every time I shift the vehicle into drive.

When we were moving here from N. Va, on the 170 mile trips, I experimented with keeping the MDS on and off for the trips and hand calculating the mileage. With the MDS off, I always improved my mileage by at least 1 mpg which is counterintuitive but it is what I saw every time I did the experiment. So, the MDS gets disabled every time I get in the truck. Also as some have mentioned, with MDS engaged, light throttle use gives crappy response until the MDS noticeably switches off, and the engine accelerates normally and smooth. A useless system IMO that adds unnecessary cost and complexity to the engine.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Something definitely isnt right... I can set my cruise at 60mph and get 23-24mpg easily, and I have a bone stock truck riding on 22'' wheels. My average MPG is at 19mpg right now...

One thing ive noticed about gas engines pulling trailers is that it doesnt matter if you're pulling a bicycle or an 18 wheeler you going to get around 9-10mpg, no matter what. I own a small 4 wheeler and a big Jeep Wrangler sitting on 35''s, I get the exact same gas mileage pulling either rig.

I guess I should mention that I am at sea level in one of the flattest states in the country. Our biggest hills are the levies keeping the river in check.

thade

Reaction score
I can set my cruise at 60mph and get 23-24mpg easily, and I have a bone stock truck riding on 22'' wheels. My average MPG is at 19mpg right now...

That's what I show too. 19 in and around town, and 24 on open highways/interstate. 3.92's and the factory 17's though instead of 22's.

Regarding mds, if my truck is moving its disabled period. I cant stand how sick the exhaust note sounds when it kicks in, or the hesitation it adds when driving around town. Reminds me of trying to drive an old carburetor vehicle with no choke in the winter before it had warmed up. Sputtering, lurching, feels like its trying to die, etc.