Why the hate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I bought my ram in 2016 for a few reasons. Fords are more expensive and don't ride as nice. Gm only puts its top powertrain in its top-level trims, and the interiors do not wear well. My ram gave me the options I wanted at a good price and I cannot complain.
I have only had a few minor issues with my ram in the 4 years I have owned it. It still looks new (and I like the exterior look better than the 5G) has no leaks/creaks/rattles/lights/rust etc. I get 23 on the hwy (Hemi 3.21 8sp) and everyone that ever rides in it comments how super comfortable it is (rides way nicer than my aunts Lexus SUV). Enjoy your truck and if you ever do any cool stuff to it post pics so we can see.

bigcheez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off, people who talk crap about what they don't have are just that...talking crap. Reality: I was a life long Ford guy (didn't care what anybody else thought or drove). I had everything from f150's to f250's, even an f350 dually. Both diesel and gas. In 2016 I jumped ship to a Ram 1500. I've had 2 1500's a 3500 and am now onto my 2nd 2500. ( last truck was a 1500 limited and totalled in an accident) I originally went to RAM because they give MUCH more truck for the money. My current 2500 Bighorn has more in it than a Ford Lariat and about $20 grand less. It rides better, tows better and imo looks better than any Ford I've had. All that said I'm happy with it and that's really what matters. As long as You like what you drive and pay for...Screw 'em.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just bought a 2016 ram and I love it. My dad owned won and I loved it too. But ever since I bought it 3 days ago all the guys at work have been giving me **** about it. Why do people have such a negative opinion of them?

Most of it is either uninformed peepz commenting (they do that quite often) or friendly "razzing" (my friends and I joke about all brands back and forth); consider the sources and the context.

Sugarland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a 2016 ram and I love it. My dad owned won and I loved it too. But ever since I bought it 3 days ago all the guys at work have been giving me **** about it. Why do people have such a negative opinion of them?

Sugarland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who’s cares what anyone thinks.
If you like it, drive it!

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6

They don't know better. They've never driven a newer Ram.

I had leased seven F150 XLT's from 1997 through 2015. I thought they were the best truck made. When Ford came out with the aluminum body their prices jumped and I did not want their new lease payments. That left Ram and GM. Well, Chevy's are damn proud of their trucks (read: $$$$) so that left Ram.

I reluctantly went to the Ram dealer figuring to be underwhelmed. Instead I was delighted. The Big Horn I got was much more impressive of a truck than my 2012 F150 XLT. Ride quality, handling, comfort, climate controls, stereo, gas mileage, interior, etc. etc. I could write an essay several thousand words long describing all the differences. And it was less money.

Bottom line is that your co-workers have some kind of misplaced brand loyalty that they perpetuate by ignorance of what else is available.

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know a guy who hates ford for literally no reason. If u ask him why he hates a particular model, he has no answer. Some people just like certain things and think everything else is bad, without any experience to back it up. Dont let it get to you

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was on a non-automotive forum board years ago, and I posted a picture of my (then) new 2007 Ram 1500 TRX. I was pretty damn proud of it. One of the trolls there threw an LOL and something like "why'd you buy such an ugly truck" at me.

I didn't reply, but a year or so later, he posted a pic of his new Avalanche.

I said, "nice ride...so your wife wouldn't let you buy a truck ? "

That was the end of that.

Dflorea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same experience while I was looking at fords on a lot . People automatically begin to badmouth Ram. All I know is I had a 2014 for Six years and it was a great vehicle. Did every thing I wanted and had no major problem. I put in a new battery. Fords were pretty crappy a while back.Japanese trucks were tops. Fords reliability came up but so did all American brands. Don’t listen to them. Drive your vehicle and enjoy it! I doesn’t matter what other think or say.

Grandavi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate Chrysler. They were so "evil" in the 80's and 90's with the crap they popped out, so it tainted my view of Dodge period. (unless you talk pre 80)

I bought a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SLT about 7-8 years back, though, because it was a good deal and haven't looked back. The fuel economy sucks but the functionality is great. They have a serious problem with the heater doors and the driver seat construction (simple fix at factory that they, in typical Chrysler fashion, chose to ignore) sucks with how they left a jagged piece of metal to chew away the foam.

However... I now have a 2011 Sierra 2500HD with a 6.0l that I picked up for really cheap to tow a trailer (bought it off a family member) and sadly will be selling the 2004 Ram. It's in better condition than most 2010-2012 Rams, but I can't keep 2 trucks. Eventually I will be going to a 3500 Ram to pull my 27' trailer, but the 1500 with a 3.55 diff can't pull it properly.

So... brand shame is old school and really shouldn't be played any more. It's all about functionality and personal preference. Just learn the faults and maintain the vehicle and you will almost always be happy.

My 2 cents.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I have owned trucks, cars and SUV's by all of the Big Three over the years. Even owned a Ford Cortina at one time. I have never been brand loyal but I have owned about 12 Mopar products and ~10 Chevy products. Amazingly only 1 domestic Ford. I buy what works for me and looks good, in my opinion, not what others think. Anyone that doesn't like my choice is free to purchase any vehicle they want me to drive. I like free!
Years ago I had to buy 3 new 1/2 ton pick ups for my business. The wife asked which brand I would buy and I replied I'd buy the brand that gave me the features I needed at the best price. I ended up with 3 Silverado 1500's and paid ~$51K for all 3 out the door. They all got well over 250K miles with one making it yo 363K. Great trucks!
Don't be too concerned with what others have to say about your purchases. It only exposes the insecurities they have about theirs.
Canyon