will lowering it void warranty???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98sinisterCOBRA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram Express RCSB
Ok i went up to the dealership and a mechanic tried to tell me that since i lowered the truck that is completley voided my warranty. And i told him that it doesnt void the drivetrain warranty, that if it did it would only be the suspension portion. Then he said he didnt know, so my question is that if my tranny goes out or something they cant prove that my belltech 2/4 caused a transmission problem or something stupid can they? (i know it didnt but what could they do?)

-Arana-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My told me as long as it wasn't cut springs and done the right way I should be ok

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
It's super easy to say that lowering it pushed the driveshaft too far onto the output shaft, caused binding and internal damage to the trans...making it the users fault and voiding the warranty.
If you know how all the parts of a vehicle work together it's easy to link any failure with modified parts.

bigdragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine came with lowering kit dealer installed.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Blah blah blah Magnuson-Moss act...
Magnuson

It will ALWAYS come down to if the dealer feels like helping you. Yeah, they have to prove whatever you've modified caused the issue/failure but they have the upper hand; access to the warranty parts and free labor you want.
If you are worried about modifying your vehicle due to warranty, don't.

If you can find a dealer who's cool with some modifications applied in a common sense manner, and you don't stride in screaming how he should replace your shocks after lowering the rear 4", you may be OK. but's it's a chance. Modifying vehicles, even when it's relatively easy and/or affordable, is a big boy game and sometimes you will have to be a big boy and accept responsibility for what you've done.
this is not pointed at the OP, just a generic rant for ALL of us who mod.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Well said. If you can't afford to fix it...don't touch it. It's just that simple.

If a dealer voids your warranty and you're not on Forbes list...you likely can't afford to fight them in court over it.

Roastbeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 crew 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would say if a dealer denies anyone warranty work on their vehicle try another dealership. warranty work brings in less money for the dealership. sometimes if a service department has to much on their hands they will turn down warranty work for work done at an outrageous hourly rate. i blew my front diff on my lifted nissan, took it to 3 dealerships no one would touch it. took it to a 4th and the service department was DEAD!!!! 2 cars being fixed. i walked out with new transmission mounts, a new front diff, a new front driveshaft and a new clutch somehow. some work is better than no work.

OP
OP
98sinisterCOBRA

98sinisterCOBRA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram Express RCSB
So, i can go to multiple dealers if somthing goes wrong?...rather than the one i bought it from if the deny me?...

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can go to multiple dealers to see if one will warranty your Ram but I've heard of them flagging your vehicle so that all dealers can see it and no warranty work can be done.

As far as the Magnuson-Moss act goes, that's great but if the dealer says so sorry and you can't afford a lawyer then you're still stuck with the repair. As others have said if you can't afford to fix it then don't mod it.. JMHO that don't mean crap

nvexpress13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's all up to the specific dealer, the toyota dealership here would not do a frontend alignment on my corolla because according to the vin it came with steel wheels and hubcaps and I had factory corolla 17's on it.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's all up to the specific dealer, the toyota dealership here would not do a frontend alignment on my corolla because according to the vin it came with steel wheels and hubcaps and I had factory corolla 17's on it.

That's ********. My wife's mazda at the lot had steelies and hubcaps. I talked them into putting a set of alloys from another used mazda they had on the lot (both same year etc. Just the one we wanted had sunroof and power windows and locks) and they did no questions asked. So your saying that I might be denied work cause something as small as what rims are on it don't match the vin. Man that dealer is f***ed in the head hahaha.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

nvexpress13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's ********. My wife's mazda at the lot had steelies and hubcaps. I talked them into putting a set of alloys from another used mazda they had on the lot (both same year etc. Just the one we wanted had sunroof and power windows and locks) and they did no questions asked. So your saying that I might be denied work cause something as small as what rims are on it don't match the vin. Man that dealer is f***ed in the head hahaha.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

Yeah it pissed me off enough to trade in the car, i can't own a car if I don't trust the service department to take care of the warranty on it. But again its all subjective I modify every vehicle I own and that was the first time I ever had a problem with a service department.