Winter questions for noob owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Hey all. About five inches of fresh snow today in rural NE Nebraska. Have to make the three hour drive (one way) to Omaha for wife's medical checkup - five years cancer free, yay! - and highways likely to be pretty clear by then.

BUT we are still green about our new(er) 2018 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Bighorn 4x4 w/5.7 Hemi.

Should I set it to 4x4 then switch to 2WD if/when roads dry out?

And - very dim question - what's your preferred windshield washer fluid? Nebraska likes to 'brine' major streets and highways so it needs to cut through that, and perform well below freezing (sometimes WAY below).

Only 28K on OEM Goodyears*, truck has anti slip rear end and I tend to balloonfoot the Hemi - our other vehicle is a Camry Hybrid - to extract maximum MPG. (Commuted 500 miles a week in the Camry on I-80 but not interested in doing 85 in the RAM!)

Any other helpful hints welcome. Second snowfall already here, a little early for anything more than a light dusting. TIA to all fellow Snow Belters!

*Looking at Coopers or Generals this spring for mostly highway/some camping/towing sub 2500 lb travel trailer, yes I read all the tire threads and posts. Told my wife that tires for me are what shoes are for her and her gal pals. Had Hankook Optimas on about five cars, trucks and SUVs in our extended family but the RAM is a much bigger beast than any of those.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
First off, congrats to your wife on being 5 years cancer free!

A few quick tips:

- No 4WD over 55 mph. If you can drive 55, then you likely shouldn't have 4WD on
- Even though our trucks are shift on the fly, I tend to shift into and out of 4WD while at a stop. I'm sure someone's gonna call me stupid but whatever, better safe than sorry.
- I prefer the orange Rain-X windshield washer fluid. Some have said it can gum up sensors but I've never personally had that issue on any of my vehicles for 5 years now.
- Take it easy on the gas when starting from a dead stop as the back end of our trucks are light, would hate fish tailing.

Enjoy they ride man, these trucks are very capable in snowy and icy conditions when driven responsibly.

JOsworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Question.... What transfer case do you have? Does it just have [4wd LOCK / 4wd LOW / 2wd] or [4wd AUTO/ 4wd LOCK / 4wd LOW / 2wd]? Mine has the second version with four modes. In iffy wet/slushy/changing conditions around town or on the highway I drive in the 4 AUTO mode. In solid snow covered "take it slow" conditions I use 4 LOCK. When tugging the "I can go 80 because it is an all wheel drive suv" victim out of a snow bank I use 4 LOW.

I have always had good luck with the RainX winter fluid... even when the dash showed -11 in Ohio it would not freeze when cleaning the window... and Ohio brines too.

I absolutely love the 4wd AUTO function of the transfer case I have. I know it engages things without locking them so it is more of a drivetrain drag than 2WD but has saved my butt more than once on my 45 minute highway commute. First experienced it in a similar setup on a Jeep Liberty I once had.

BTW... I would dump those Goodyears sooner than later. First bad rain in mine and was horrified at how bad they were.... and I have a V6. Dumped them with 24k miles on them and went with a more aggressive all terrain tire without loosing the dry pavement handling or smooth ride.

marc cormier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
like gamedog said, no 4wd at high speed.
for shifting on the fly, gamedog, you're not stupid at all, as long as the 4 wheel are rolling at the same speed it will shift 4wd on and off without problem but having 4 wheel at the same speed on slippery surface like snow might be difficult so it's a good idea to be stopped to do it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I realize it is 4wd, but you might want to consider a set of pre-mounted snows for your Camry. I know people will howl, but from my experience in Upstate NY (last winter there was just over 300 inches of snow) the truck is great at getting going but not as good steering and stopping. Wider tires means more rubber packing down on snow and more weight naturally takes longer to stop, it is all physics. I always had a FWD car with 4 snows and left my truck garaged (saved on rust) and never got stuck once while averaging about125k miles a year. Doing the car with snows will let you get a less aggressive (quieter) tire for the truck. Congratulations on the new truck, and good luck.

OP
OP
BlueGuyRedState
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
tron67j, retired in August so driving much much less. Had an 84 Geo Tracker with Nokian snows a few years ago, stunning traction when nothing else moved that day or two. Mercifully I can baby both vehicles (the Camry needs new tires now and the RAM will be next). Between COVID-19 and retirement our mileage is less than 50 miles a week instead of 500 or so.

JOsworth, transfer case is the same as yours, thanks for the hints. Had a '99 Ford Ranger clone (Mazda) 4x4 so some experience under our belts.

Gamedog, your advice the same as my old pal the retired BNSF truck driver and machine operator - if weather is bad enough to need 4x4 you shouldn't be driving anyway! Engaging the 4wd system worth stopping for.

Thanks to all. Rain-X shows up on sale often this time of year so will pick up a jug. The Great Tire Quest continues though!

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Congrats on the wife hitting 5 years :cheers:

As for driving, put it in 4 auto, that will do fine in 5". I have the same case & use auto a lot. As for over 55 mph don't worry about it, I drive all the time summer through winter in 4 auto and I drive 70-80 mph. Auto engages the front diff only when wheel slip is detected. I have 34000 miles on mine and zero issues.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful with the orange rain x. I know some guys have said it’s fine, but in my 2013, it would throw a low washer fluid light when the reservoir was full. Called the dealer and the first thing he asked was if I use Rain X washer fluid. When I said yes, he told me that some guys have had that issue, some don’t. Apparently it tends to thicken up just enough when it gets really really cold and messes with the sensor. He told me to dump some of the cheap blue stuff in, which apparently has a lot of alcohol in it, and it would clean up the sensor, thin out what was left in the reservoir, and problem solved. I did what he said and never had an issue again. I don’t use it anymore in my 2018. There are plenty of other good quality fluids out there.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If the owners manual says you can shift the transfer case on the fly, do it. Stopping to do that is so 30 years ago! I've owned GMC, Ford and now Ram 3/4 ton 4wd trucks over the years, and a Nissan Armada. If the manual is okay to shift on the fly, that's what they got. Never had an issue with any of them.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Congrats on 5 years cancer free for your wife!!
The 4x4 question has been answered pretty thoroughly.
For a true all season tire, I like Falken Wildpeak AT3W. It's a severe weather rated all terrain tire that isn't obnoxious. I ran that tire on my last truck and never had issues with snow while driving or plowing. I have General Grabber ATX on my current truck because the Falken's were too far out on a delivery when I was buying. I haven't had any snowfall to test them in yet, but they are severe weather rated.
Many speak highly of the Cooper AT3 (the 4S is a severe weather rated tire).
Good luck!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I run in 4 lock when the conditiions are icy just to make it less likely to fish tail and easiet to correct if you do. When dry or just wet then 2wd or 4 auto are fine and either can be run year round. I've run the goodyears on the snow and they work fine as long as they still have 70% or better tread. I drive in a lot of poor conditions including a ton of mountain driving in the winter and have for many years. For washer fluid I find any of the de-icing fluids work best. I've run a few brands. Most of them were yellow. I run dedicated winter tires, but I'm a high miler and have a second set of wheels and sensors so swapping is easy and cost wise I just buy 2 sets half as often so no noteable difference for me. I run studs, which are really the best for ice. There are restrictions on when and where they're allowed though so that must be considered and also studdable snow tires can only be studded when new.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I had Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on my 18 Bighorn, only used 4WD on a couple of occasions when it was really bad, (roads didn't get plowed/heavy wet snow). Just buy washer fluid rated at -20 or -30 below.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You R gonna get all sorts of tire info. IMHO, goodbye to OEM Goodyear, get U a good rated AT3 tire. Now if U not gonna tow, or tow heavy, Falken Wildpeak AT3W has a C rated tire which I have. Also Michelin LTX's R Good and/or Cooper AT3's or if U R strictly hardtop, Toyo HT's R good. U need better tire in the snow. Now 4 X 4 been answered. Since U got snow on the Ground 4WD Auto be fine. Even tho they shift on the fly, I am old school and stop to shift to ne thing other than 4WD Auto.

Just remember, U R talking 4WD in a 6,000 lb truck, so Physic's and weight means a lot. So do not even think U R gonna stop quik in less than ideal circumstances, drive for the conditions and yer vehicle.

ALL above IMHO.....

New tire on truck.jpg New tires left side truck.jpg

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Congrats on the wife's success! For added winter stability, many of us carry a few hundred lbs of tube sand in the bed. I usually run with around 400+ from November through March. I echo what others have said re tires.

Good luck!

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Like said above, if you have 4 Auto, use that and don't worry about speed too much. If you have just 4WD, then yes it needs to be off on hard pavement. In 4 auto, the transfer case gives a lot to the wheels when needed to keep the differentials from binding up too much causing stress on your CV joints etc etc. In normal 4WD mode, the whole system is solidly connected, so wheels do need loose contact to slide around a bit to keep the system from getting too much torque on any parts and causing damage.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2 cents on All Wheel vs 4 wheel, aka: auto vs lock. In All wheel or auto it can transfer power to different tires as the system feels slip. In very rare conditions it can cause the vehicle to break traction and go in to a slide when it transfers power to another wheel particularly when corning. So in heavy/deep snow it is usually best to put it in 4 wheel or lock, but in light snow or running on plowed / active highway (i.e. snow on highway not building up deep and pavement showing in spots or tracks). Be advised it is my understanding that the Auto transfer case even in 4 lock has to feel rear wheel slippage before engaging front axle.

Now for those reading this without Auto option, after various activities I have done with my 2019 Ram 1500 w/o auto transfer case. Pulling anything in slick or off camber & off pavement is best done in 4 high. I know I will get arguments, however I have done both and can state for fact that in 4 Low it will spin the tires easily. In 4 high it will not unless you make it. I pulled small weed like tree from my yard in 4 low and on a flatter / leveler area of the yard in 4 low and ended up spinning tires. I used 4 low as i had always done in my other trucks, but after learning last winter that in 4 High we have a BLD type system and that it makes the open differential axles on our truck act like locked axles I pulled more of these weed trees form a much less level and more off camber location in my yard. I pulled more of them with larger root balls in near the same location (i.e. running over the same gras time and again) in 4 high and not only did I not spin a tire but I didn't even put a burn mark on the grass. In short I did not spin a tire even a little.

Long and short is in 4 high our trucks (w/o auto transfer case) act like the have lockers both front and rear.... If you do not believe me please test for yourself.

PS, its the 1st truck I have ever had that I do not feel that I will ever have a reason to use 4 low, unless I was trying to pull something out of my weight class on a gravel road, and even then I would have to debate between torque or the added traction provided by the BLD.

B- Brake
L - Lock
D -Differential
or the use of light braking to control wheel slip.
- No this is not traction control, it's more than that without the power robbing effect traction control has.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Ditto, no 4WD above 55 mph.
I did research on my last tire purchase, wanting dry/wet/snow traction, good breaking, quiet on highway, and good reviews. Firestone Destination ATs were #1, followed closely by Yokohama Geolander ATs. Yokohamas were $30 per tire cheaper, so I bought them. 20k miles and 3 winters later they were a good choice.
As far as doing 85 mph on good dry clear interstate, I drive 85 on occasion on I80 and I35, long wheel base Rams will "just roll on down the highway". Wife doesn't think it feels any more then 65mph.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ditto, no 4WD above 55 mph.
I did research on my last tire purchase, wanting dry/wet/snow traction, good breaking, quiet on highway, and good reviews. Firestone Destination ATs were #1, followed closely by Yokohama Geolander ATs. Yokohamas were $30 per tire cheaper, so I bought them. 20k miles and 3 winters later they were a good choice.
As far as doing 85 mph on good dry clear interstate, I drive 85 on occasion on I80 and I35, long wheel base Rams will "just roll on down the highway". Wife doesn't think it feels any more then 65mph.
Do you have the front hand crank instead of the new electric engine starter...:rolleyes:

There is no 55 mph limit. Thats something from the 60s. The only speed limit is for 4wd low which is 25mph.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
There is no 55 mph limit. Thats something from the 60s. The only speed limit is for 4wd low which is 25mph.

The 3rd gen manual has a line that may have lead to some thinking 55mph is a recommended limit.
"If the vehicle is in motion, shifts can be made up to 55 mph (88 km/h)".
This is a max shift speed, not a max operational point.