Worried

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdimond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I have a 2016 Ecodiesel with 45k miles on it bought the extended warranty as well. Was driving in the black hills on Sunday pulling a very small trailer probably around 800lbs, we had just passed a small town about 3 or 4 miles back in the middle of nowhere driving about 35mpg little snow on the ground and snowing but nothing bad at all, when all of the sudden the engine reved up very high like it went out of gear. The dashboard reads Service 4x4 do not shift into park or shut the engine off and drive to an authorized dealer for repair. I had let off the gas and it came to a stop still in gear and holding the brake. I left off the brake gave it a little gas and it went about 15 feet did the same thing reved up high and would not go. We did this 3 or 4 times until finally the truck shut down completely and then the dash started reading Service Transmission, Service ETC, Service Brakes, Service Airbags, Service Engine and so on it was saying service everything. At this point it will not come out of gear and obviously will not start so there we sit. We finally had someone stop as there was zero reception and they called a tow truck that took 2 hours to find us. So my truck sits at the dealer for a week before they have time to look at it, now it's in the 3rd day of them looking at it and they tell me they have no clue of what's wrong with it. They said it had 53 codes when they put it on the computer and have not fixed a thing yet. Any ideas or suggestions. They still can't get it out of gear it will only roll the windows up and down and that's about it. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well, this is by no means definitive, but it sounds like a PCM* problem to me. The first thing I would check for is critter or terrain damage to the wiring harness that goes to it. Also, while terrain damage to the wiring at the TIPM** isn't likely, critter damage is, so I would check that area as well.

-K

* PCM - Powertrain Control Module, aka the main computer for the engine, transmission and other drivetrain components
** TIPM - Totally Integrated Power Module aka Fuse/relay box

OP
OP
S

sdimond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Well it would appear right now that they are saying the TCM is there but is not there. It is not reading on the computer at all like it's gone but obviously it is there. Now they tell me they have to file a STAR claim with Dodge on the warranty because to fix it is so expensive they need to get approval first. Anyone else heard of these kind of things.

OP
OP
S

sdimond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Well can I cuss in here?????????? They installed a new TCM and it will not program so three weeks out now and nothing fixed, anyone else run into this long of a repair with nothing accomplished? I was warned by a friend that they have the slogan "Customers for life" because once you take your vehicle there it's always back in for repairs for life. Starting to wonder if that may be true.

jecram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 1500 4x4 5.7
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know this won't make you fell any better but I am an equipment manager with a large fleet of both off road construction equipment and over the road trucks (+1200 pieces). Most of them are tier iv final diesels.

We have had a number of "one off" failures that seemed nearly un-fixable, as does your right now. Obviously they were fixed but the troubleshooting was extensive with many parts changed. In almost every case the original cause was never really identified. The brands include Cat, Cummins, Kenworth, Volvo, Freightliner, etc. Great companies with solid equipment being worked on by very, very capable techs. being supported by the OEM's. They were still painful repairs. Be thankful for the extended warranty.

Not a satisfying answer but what I am trying to say is don't get mad at the dealer or the truck. We are in a world of very complex systems to maintain the emission standards that have be foisted on us. I know it sucks for you but me and my team have been through this a dozen times since T4f came into being.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well can I cuss in here?????????? They installed a new TCM and it will not program so three weeks out now and nothing fixed, anyone else run into this long of a repair with nothing accomplished? I was warned by a friend that they have the slogan "Customers for life" because once you take your vehicle there it's always back in for repairs for life. Starting to wonder if that may be true.

GO to this Forum and become member and post info. This is an Exclusive ED Forum and other members have had issues and may be able to help U:

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/forum.php?s=a116e368405a3166b000da427731b236

1) Sounds like Dealership yer vehicle is at does not have a certified 3.0 Tech and has NO IDEA what they R doing.
2) Sounds like one or more main computers went bad. JUST too many different codes at one time. U IMHO lost one of the main computer modules, or several

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Scary stuff. I hope they get it sorted out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963