ZF 8 Speed Transmission Replacement Fluid Poll

Which fluid did you put in your 8 speed, and were you happy with the results??

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you find anything in regards to wear in or assembly materials in the pan? Much gray ****** on the magnets? Any chance you cut the filter portion open? I would love to know what the inside of the filter looks like in regards to construction, as well as how much foreign material it held.

there was a little debris on the magnets likely the initial break in. still have the old pan, maybe will pull the filter out and see if any debris. the PPE pan has the magnet on the drain plug and can be checked every drain.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your plan on changing filter and fluid, then doing a short interval fluid only change and then going the recommended distance for next fluid / filter change is exactly what I have in mind.
Fortunately for me, having the V6 there are no obstructions whatsoever under the pan.

the PPE pan has a new filter, am planning on doing maybe two more drain and fills to get most of the old stuff out, with the redline would not be afraid to go 80k. I do not know the capacity of the transmission when dry.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just had my transmission serviced (new fluid and pan) at 61k. Used the Dorman Pan from with replaceable filter (Rock Auto, $130ish shipped) and Amsoil Blue Cap ATF ($94 for 8 quarts). I used a good independent shop for the labor so $260.

Anyways, it actually only took 6 quarts, and no issue with pan clearance on my header's and Y-pipe. Oil looked dark before and after but I didn't do a color test with light and paper. I did notice less scent. The old pan and magnets looked good, not much metal.

I was pleasantly surprised in the results, as my pickup does shift smoother and quicker. Shifts are less delayed and quicker, not saying it was bad before as the ZF is nice driving/shifting transmission. I do have a Jay Greene 91 tune so it is a little aggressive on the transmission tuning so maybe on a stock truck you won't feel any shifting differences on new fluid but in my case, I feel that's it's good for both long term maintenance and drivability.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
there was a little debris on the magnets likely the initial break in. still have the old pan, maybe will pull the filter out and see if any debris. the PPE pan has the magnet on the drain plug and can be checked every drain.
Promise, last question. How many miles on the fluid?
Edit: disregard, I just went back and read your first post with the mileage listed in it.
Soooooo, now I still have one question available to ask! LOL

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Just had my transmission serviced (new fluid and pan) at 61k. Used the Dorman Pan from with replaceable filter (Rock Auto, $130ish shipped) and Amsoil Blue Cap ATF ($94 for 8 quarts). I used a good independent shop for the labor so $260.

Anyways, it actually only took 6 quarts, and no issue with pan clearance on my header's and Y-pipe. Oil looked dark before and after but I didn't do a color test with light and paper. I did notice less scent. The old pan and magnets looked good, not much metal.

I was pleasantly surprised in the results, as my pickup does shift smoother and quicker. Shifts are less delayed and quicker, not saying it was bad before as the ZF is nice driving/shifting transmission. I do have a Jay Greene 91 tune so it is a little aggressive on the transmission tuning so maybe on a stock truck you won't feel any shifting differences on new fluid but in my case, I feel that's it's good for both long term maintenance and drivability.
I like that we are getting reports of not much metal or debris when done by the 60,000 mile or earlier mark. Wise decision to change earlier rather than later. JMO

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always opened up the filter when servicing a trans to see what's in it.Just the heavy stuff will stay in the pan or stick to the magnet.Filter is a sure fire way to see the condition of your trans other than the obvious fluid condition.