04 to 05 PCM swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theboz001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know where I could find a 2005 PCM and have all of the options set to match my 2004?

I have one of the rare AWD models so finding a 2005 with AWD, 28 gallon tank, cruise control and rear wheel ABS is probably never going to happen.

I contacted a couple of the larger PCM replacement sites and they can't guarantee they will set the options beyond just programming the VIN to match. Since I am not asking for a direct replacement they won't even provide a warranty.

Anyone know what advantages would I have by doing this swap?

2004 Ram 1500 SLT, 5.7, AWD

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Especially since 3rd gen Rams were never available with a 28gal tank lol....talk to hotwireauto, this is their bread and butter. Advantages are better tunability, especially as it pertains to the trans in your case.

OP
OP
T

theboz001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I contacted Hotwire and unfortunately they are not familiar with my AWD and they don't program the options, only the VIN.

Wound anyone with a 2005 AWD Ram 1500 with the 26 gallon tank, cruise control, A/C and no SKIM be able to provide the part number from their PCM?

Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I have a pretty good list of 05 pcm's with the various options available and have never seen the AWD listed. The 545rfe is the transmission used, but the AWD I believe is centered around the transfer case and may not have a unique pcm but only a seperate AWD module. More research is needed..

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a pretty good list of 05 pcm's with the various options available and have never seen the AWD listed. The 545rfe is the transmission used, but the AWD I believe is centered around the transfer case and may not have a unique pcm but only a seperate AWD module. More research is needed..

I think you are correct @Redtruck-VA. The PCM's come blank out of the box and we flash the software based on the VIN. I can't recall anything in the software about the truck being AWD. The only thing it needs to know is that it has a TCCM, or Transfer Case Control Module.

I think all he would need is a 2005 PCM and a quick VIN write. I think that would do the trick.

@theboz001, the big advantages of the 2005 PCM swap is for tuning purposes. The 2003-2004 PCM's have some limitations when it comes to tuning.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Agreed, the 05 pcm's now are all superseded by just one pcm. 1500 thru 3500. The manual trans pcm are almost impossible to find. With the only chance being from a salvage yard. Gas tank size doesn't matter as it is all about the gas level sender.

OP
OP
T

theboz001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So as long as I get one from an automatic transmission and 4x4 I will be fine?

What would I need to get the VIN programmed?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
So as long as I get one from an automatic transmission and 4x4 I will be fine?

What would I need to get the VIN programmed?

I don't think it necessarily needs to be a 4x4. Any non-skim pcm should work. Be very careful if you use a salvage yard pcm. Make sure it is non-skim or you will have problems with skim activation.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
@Redtruck-VA is correct. It doesnt matter if it comes from a 4x4 truck or not. The PCM choice is made on wether it came from a truck with SKIM or not. If your truck has a SKIM Module, or Sentry Key Immobilizer, you would have a grey ignition key or if your truck didnt come with SKIM you would have black ignition keys.

OP
OP
T

theboz001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was able to find a vendor who would sell me the 2005 PCM with my VIN and mileage programmed. The only things we know for sure is 2005, 5.7, auto trans and no SKIM.

Any idea how I would go about getting the other options set (4x4, etc.) if it has a weird issue being 2wd or something? The dealers around here won't work on anything if they don't sell the part.

It is supposed to be here in a couple of days. I will report back with the outcome.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance.

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I was able to find a vendor who would sell me the 2005 PCM with my VIN and mileage programmed. The only things we know for sure is 2005, 5.7, auto trans and no SKIM.

Any idea how I would go about getting the other options set (4x4, etc.) if it has a weird issue being 2wd or something? The dealers around here won't work on anything if they don't sell the part.

It is supposed to be here in a couple of days. I will report back with the outcome.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance.
I don't see any reason why you would have a problem by switching to the 2005 PCM. I haven't found anything in the programming in the PCM that is related to it being AWD.

From everything I have looked at in the 2005 PCM in my 2004 model it doesn't know if the truck is 2WD/4WD/AWD or not.

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I contacted Hotwire and unfortunately they are not familiar with my AWD and they don't program the options, only the VIN.

Wound anyone with a 2005 AWD Ram 1500 with the 26 gallon tank, cruise control, A/C and no SKIM be able to provide the part number from their PCM?

Anyone have any other ideas?

Try https://sykedecutuning.com he might be able to help with the programming

OP
OP
T

theboz001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The PCM arrived this morning. Plugged it in and it started right up. The only problem is I keep getting 4 codes for the pedal sensor. I have cleared the codes, done the reset (turn key on, wait till chimes go off, slowly push pedal to the floor, hold for 10 seconds [check engine light starts to flash], release slowly, turn off key).

I ended up having to use the scanner to initialize the ETC relearn. After that, ran a quick learn on the trans and I think I'm in business.

-- Update --

Took the truck out and overall it seems fine. There is a slight stumble just off idle and it keeps setting codes for both downstream o2 sensors. For some reason they list different part numbers for the downstream O2 between 2004 and 2005. Both are narrowband, but the NTK part number for 2004 is 23132 and the one for 2005 is 23159.

Didnt have either of these issues with the original PCM.

To those who have done the PCM swap, I have a couple of questions.

It seems the O2 sensor part numbers are different between the 04 and the 05. Both upstream and downstream. When you performed the swap, did you have to replace the upstream o2 sensors?

The research I have done so far shows the downstream ones only trigger the CEL, nothing more. Both upstream sensors are narrowband but different part numbers. While there is no code for the upstream sensors is it possible this is whats causing the part throttle stumble?

There were no codes with the original PCM and all 4 O2s are NTKs less than a year old. I cant find any information as to what the differences are between the part numbers.

The only other problem is now the cruise control doesn't work above 60. It will work fine under 50, then between 50 and 60 it will work for a min or so and turn off. Above 60 it won't even turn on.

I would appreciate any assistance getting these resolved.

Last edited:

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
Hi. At the risk of sounding like an idiot -- this Dodge 1500 4.7 (RWD) is new to me and we are not bonding well. She has a P0633 Code and LOTS of issues. And I don't even know what a SKIM is or IF I am supposed to have one. Can someone please help me understand whether or not I need to replace this PCM? Or how to determine if I need to? I have also seen U0168 and P1684.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Some trucks have SKIM and many don't. SKIM is a immobilizer system to prevent thief.. If you have a small black key it doesn't have SKIM. If you have a large gray key with remote locks you most likey have SKIM. If you have SKIM there will be an immobilizer under the steering column around the ignition key. Your key will will link with the immobilizer and the immobilizer will send a code to the pcm allowing it to run the engine. If the code is not recognized the engine will start and **** down. It'll do this a few times then lock you out completely.

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
Some trucks have SKIM and many don't. SKIM is a immobilizer system to prevent thief.. If you have a small black key it doesn't have SKIM. If you have a large gray key with remote locks you most likey have SKIM. If you have SKIM there will be an immobilizer under the steering column around the ignition key. Your key will link with the immobilizer and the immobilizer will send a code to the pcm allowing it to run the engine. If the code is not recognized the engine will start and **** down. It'll do this a few times then lock you out completely.

Thank you for that. I think my truck has all manual locks, windows, everything. Nothing that appears to be controlled by remote. And did not come with a remote or a fob. Just a black key. I don't think it has a chip in it. But I have this SKIM code? P0633.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
You didn't by chance install your pcm in another truck for a test did you?

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
I'm half wondering if this PCM was already a replacement or maybe flashed or maybe doesn't belong with this truck, but I have no idea how to determine any of that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990