2014 RAM 1500 Express Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Looks like you are a proud new owner of a Hi-Lift, there are some attachments I’d strongly recommend. I made these ones but I know you can find similar ones online. There is nothing scarier than when a hi lift kicks out, I was fortunate enough not to get hurt when I had one slip out on me with my old CJ7. The one on the right is a larger base plate 8x8” with spikes to help keep a good footing and the left is an attachment for lifting from round tube.

A501B7E4-F7AA-4A79-9E04-8D4C9076CB77.jpeg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Looks like you are a proud new owner of a Hi-Lift, there are some attachments I’d strongly recommend. I made these ones but I know you can find similar ones online. There is nothing scarier than when a hi lift kicks out, I was fortunate enough not to get hurt when I had one slip out on me with my old CJ7. The one on the right is a larger base plate 8x8” with spikes to help keep a good footing and the left is an attachment for lifting from round tube.

View attachment 158954
These are a must, hi lifts are great, but terrifying every single time I've used one. It's always in an incredibly less than ideal spot

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 158954
I have the Hi lift base already but i'll see if there is something available for the round tubes, unless of course Revit Motorsports can fab some for the market :)

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have the Hi lift base already but i'll see if there is something available for the round tubes, unless of course Revit Motorsports can fab some for the market :)

I’ll have to dig around in my scrap bin and see if I have anything that might work

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Decided to do a little experiment removing the front sway bar, why ? wanted to test how the truck felt without it while doing offroad and also wanted to see how close the tire could tuck at full compression for the purposes of perhaps stuffing some 37's

CV angle full stuffed
46560690395_3fde05bfda_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Plenty of room between the UCA and the RES even if i was jumping the truck
46560691395_c03bda3241_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

No issues with coil binding either
46752637534_d931b9fd98_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

315's at full stuff no sway bar
47423091862_f5b94c0138_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

33599444038_0ca237c277_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Impressions without the sway bar:
There is more sway as expected, the Kings do a good job around corners though so cornering didn't feel super sketchy, but rapid wheel corrections do suck as the truck sways like a boat left and right, i'm sure i could correct this for the most part if i had compression adjusters running them on the harder setting but i don't see myself driving without the sway bar long term anyways. Truck corners better with the sway bar as expected, and i like the feeling going fast with the bar to my surprise though i couldn't give the truck enough gas today to test. I was doing 30-35mph as our local spot was a little busy this afternoon so decided to play it safe.

Without the sway bar there is 1 5/8" gap between the tire and the fender, this is with the Strut resting on the bumpstop
46560695915_6282031b0a_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

32534094747_c15698c798_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Like wise with sway bar on, 3 1/8" gap
47423100412_04b5f4251e_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

40509792053_835d941414_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Had to put the factory sway bar bushings back, as the new links i got from oreally's sucked balls, the bushings at least, 2 passes on the local trail at some speed at the bushing literally disintegrated, this set have 70k miles now, can you tell ?

33599453388_b21c0bdeab_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

I think i'll stay on 35's until i can run Fibwerwerx fenders :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered a set of universal mud flaps from Amazon for $18 wooo woooo :), It didn't feel good spending $100 on something i don't know if i'd like, so at least for less than $20 i can cut it to how i'd like to see it.
https://www.amazon.com/SUNPIE-Unive...s&qid=1553719154&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

I'm tired of all the damn splash i get especially when the ground is wet/muddy, even more now that it took me 2 hours to get rid of that freaking black tar chit you see in the pic above. that was some sort of liquid/oily asphalt the city was dumping at the entrance of the dirt road so it's mixed with dirt and water. They were dumping this on the ground before dumping the actual hot ashpalt on top. i tried to avoid it as much as i could driving by the half of the road that wasn't covered by it. it was worst than that by the time got home lol. I feel sorry for a Tacoma dude that thought playing in that crap was fun, he was hauling butt slidding and tearing that crap down his truck was covered in it very badly, i guess he thought it was just mud hahaha.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Ordered a set of universal mud flaps from Amazon for $18 wooo woooo :), It didn't feel good spending $100 on something i don't know if i'd like, so at least for less than $20 i can cut it to how i'd like to see it.
https://www.amazon.com/SUNPIE-Unive...s&qid=1553719154&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

I'm tired of all the damn splash i get especially when the ground is wet/muddy, even more now that it took me 2 hours to get rid of that freaking black tar chit you see in the pic above. that was some sort of liquid/oily asphalt the city was dumping at the entrance of the dirt road so it's mixed with dirt and water. They were dumping this on the ground before dumping the actual hot ashpalt on top. i tried to avoid it as much as i could driving by the half of the road that wasn't covered by it. it was worst than that by the time got home lol. I feel sorry for a Tacoma dude that thought playing in that crap was fun, he was hauling butt slidding and tearing that crap down his truck was covered in it very badly, i guess he thought it was just mud hahaha.
Best investment I made was flaps and flares bar none. Man are we getting old? I remember when I used to hit every puddle east of the Mississippi

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best investment I made was flaps and flares bar none. Man are we getting old? I remember when I used to hit every puddle east of the Mississippi

Lol tell me about it, now i can't even smell mud hahaha. I don't mind dirt one bit and can go weeks before i'll wash the truck even if it's covered in that stuff , but the moment it rains or the trail becomes muddy i tend to stress out about it especially when that dirt becomes mud.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Lol tell me about it, now i can't even smell mud hahaha. I don't mind dirt one bit and can go weeks before i'll wash the truck even if it's covered in that stuff , but the moment it rains or the trail becomes muddy i tend to stress out about it especially when that dirt becomes mud.
Good thing you don't live out here than, we've got nothing but mud as of recent. I will say tho, hang the flaps as low as you can whilst still being secure. My undercarriage in the direct path of tire spray has stayed perfect. So much less in my eyes when I lay under it now.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good thing you don't live out here than, we've got nothing but mud as of recent. I will say tho, hang the flaps as low as you can whilst still being secure. My undercarriage in the direct path of tire spray has stayed perfect. So much less in my eyes when I lay under it now.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
I'll see what i can do tomorrow assuming i'm getting them today. My prob with the low hanging ones is that most of the trails i run have some rocks here and there and i'm affraid they wouldn't last one trip. Hoping this ones are kind of flexy as well but i want to hang them a little higher assuming i'll still get some splash protection. I point my front tire towards the obstacle, typically a rock around here then drive right through it, exactly what you see in the picture i posted with and without the front sway bar :). That's why i needed the rock sliders as i've massaged the rocker panels before and i don't want to trash them.

Next problem is the damn front bumper POS. I've in been in chats with a local fabricator via email and i'm looking to set an appointment this weekend on next for him to see the truck and i want to explain more or less what i'm looking for so we can establish couple of options and price. I'd like prerunner style tubes but i wan to to hang a winch right there, plus recovery points and i'm hoping coming up with a winch mount plate for it won't be too expensive otherwise a more simple bumper with just recovery points will do. it'll take a while but i'm not in a rush.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I'll see what i can do tomorrow assuming i'm getting them today. My prob with the low hanging ones is that most of the trails i run have some rocks here and there and i'm affraid they wouldn't last one trip. Hoping this ones are kind of flexy as well but i want to hang them a little higher assuming i'll still get some splash protection. I point my front tire towards the obstacle, typically a rock around here then drive right through it, exactly what you see in the picture i posted with and without the front sway bar :). That's why i needed the rock sliders as i've massaged the rocker panels before and i don't want to trash them.

Next problem is the damn front bumper POS. I've in been in chats with a local fabricator via email and i'm looking to set an appointment this weekend on next for him to see the truck and i want to explain more or less what i'm looking for so we can establish couple of options and price. I'd like prerunner style tubes but i wan to to hang a winch right there, plus recovery points and i'm hoping coming up with a winch mount plate for it won't be too expensive otherwise a more simple bumper with just recovery points will do. it'll take a while but i'm not in a rush.
I hear ya on all points. First off my flaps hang way down and I have yet to rip them off, surprisingly they are pretty hard to tear off as they mount pretty well, and I drug them across 8" thick ice and about every single rock I climbed over with my 33s caught them when I came down. You should be good.

Honestly at this point with the bumpers I'm gonna take conventional approach. Barricade bumpers through American trucks has a new high clearance bumper similar to the ADD stealth, it's light and tucks up nice. Than I'll figure out how or even if I want a winch. If I do that is end up making a setup similar to the VICE designs winch mount and just make it modular to my setup. My local fab guy just bought a new house and he works out of a home shop, so he's at least 2-3 months out from even being ready to start back.

I don't know if the weight of a permanent mounted winch will be worth it. I may do a front receiver and wire it for both front and rear pulls and just have my winch safely put in my bed somewhere. Not as convenient, but I also am not treating this truck to the trails that require those type of crazy recoveries, I'll be getting a dedicated rig to thrash. Idk, right now I need to decide paint colors for the house, so we all know what I'm goin through with that **** [emoji854]

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the flaps installed. Ended up cutting a bit too much towards the sides from the front ones so i'll have redo those. This are universal flaps they're flat and they don't follow the shape of the front seams so i had to use a heat gun to mold the material they're plastic and they have some flex so they'll do well.

This is V1 for the fronts
32551825497_6bfaaebc26_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

47443679372_f0aeca4373_h.jpg2019-03-29_07-55-52 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
[emoji41] it's a flappy flare 2cfce2acd85f95460cf0c9ce5a7a2351.jpg

Your flaps look good, but I will say they look a little bit short. They're definitely goin to cut down on the spray up the sides of the truck, but not as much as you might think, especially if you are going faster. I know it's a compromise between clearance and coverage, and you have the sliders, so they may be sufficient. I had ones that were shorter like your set and the sides were always slathered, except for the small triangle these covered. I was like wtf. Lol. Try em out and see!! I do like an tho!

Last edited:

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I hear ya on all points. First off my flaps hang way down and I have yet to rip them off, surprisingly they are pretty hard to tear off as they mount pretty well, and I drug them across 8" thick ice and about every single rock I climbed over with my 33s caught them when I came down. You should be good.

Honestly at this point with the bumpers I'm gonna take conventional approach. Barricade bumpers through American trucks has a new high clearance bumper similar to the ADD stealth, it's light and tucks up nice. Than I'll figure out how or even if I want a winch. If I do that is end up making a setup similar to the VICE designs winch mount and just make it modular to my setup. My local fab guy just bought a new house and he works out of a home shop, so he's at least 2-3 months out from even being ready to start back.

I don't know if the weight of a permanent mounted winch will be worth it. I may do a front receiver and wire it for both front and rear pulls and just have my winch safely put in my bed somewhere. Not as convenient, but I also am not treating this truck to the trails that require those type of crazy recoveries, I'll be getting a dedicated rig to thrash. Idk, right now I need to decide paint colors for the house, so we all know what I'm goin through with that **** [emoji854]

I like the idea of being able to use a winch from the front or the rear, forward isn’t always an option lol.

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

I’ve always wondered how much a shop would charge to fab up a bumper similar to the add/ or even what I have. About 150 in metal then a boat load of labor

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I like the idea of being able to use a winch from the front or the rear, forward isn’t always an option lol.
Wire in a few of those Anderson connectors and you're set. I tend to look at things for multi purpose setups, a rear mounted winch would be awesome when I get my trailer and dedicated trail rig going. As well as like you said, forward isn't always the best option, etc.

In my perfect world I'd love to have this truck do it all, but that's not a thing right now, so as long as I'm mindful that I don't do a crazy off center pull I'm sure a front mounted receiver hidden would suffice. And it's cheaper than making the bumper I want.

I really need to get my welder back going, there hardly anything I like for these trucks. I was moving **** today, almost blew my window out with brush, looking for headache racks and they mostly all look like ass or are 300+. Seriously.....we're in the wrong biz.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve always wondered how much a shop would charge to fab up a bumper similar to the add/ or even what I have. About 150 in metal then a boat load of labor
I'll let you know once i can get to meet this dude, found a couple of fabricators in the Tacoma forum, and this one happens to be around Cerritos and it's pretty much the closest i've found so far. he told me he'll be very busy for the next couple of months but he'll try his best to accomodate me. we will see how much it'll be.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
[emoji41] it's a flappy flare 2cfce2acd85f95460cf0c9ce5a7a2351.jpg

Your flaps look good, but I will say they look a little bit short. They're definitely goin to cut down on the spray up the sides of the truck, but not as much as you might think, especially if you are going faster. I know it's a compromise between clearance and coverage, and you have the sliders, so they may be sufficient. I had ones that were shorter like your set and the sides were always slathered, except for the small triangle these covered. I was like wtf. Lol. Try em out and see!! I do like an tho!

I tested them today and i think i'll leave them like they're for now though the news blankets will be coming in tomorrow or Monday. Way better than what i had before.

46586396815_e004023156_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

33624987618_5600de7cc6_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr