2014 RAM 1500 Express Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had her aligned again, lol, i run through alignments faster than my oil changes.

I don't think i'll be using the Firestone shop i used the last time though. I remember i had to complaint twice about the Minivan alignment i was getting with them, and while they were taking the truck back, the realigment to the specs i wanted was always so quick i wonder if i was getting them right or if they were just hitting the wheels by hand until the machine spitted the numbers i wanted to see.
My driver front always looked cambered out for some reason after both instances, but being that i'm running big tires i thought it was in my mind since the Firestone sheet said i was supposed to be running 0* camber.

This is my alignment from today at my preferred alignment place, the driver front was cambered out by a little much and on a big tire is noticeable, same for my toe. i swear she drives a lot more nicer too, and now the tire looks straight like it's supposed to.

48992573667_4b7a041220_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had spend sometime fixing my new daily driver hehe. RAM is still there but the WJ seems a lot better MPG wise driving around the city, going to gym etc, etc.
I was getting DW so i decided to fix the darn thing, checked all steering components and found the draglink was loose on one end, trackbar loose on one end, messed up steering stabilizer etc, so i replaced the SS replaced both front axels shafts and both front hub bearings, greased all zerks in the control arms, fixed the gasket cover and oil pan gasket (Thanks a lot @hodge-xj for the suggestion, you were spot on it wasn't the rear main.) The last thing leaking is my steering gearbox seal, so I'm thinking to get a remanufactured from Vatozone or Oreally for $165 and replace the whole chit. I have a brand new pitman arm as well already to make this a plug and play deal. I have no more DW and no more smoke coming out of the AC vents and engine bay, it was embarrasing to drop the kids at school in the morning lol

I thought of selling and had listed in CL but it drives nice so i'll keep it for now
49034585941_c27a96e7d1_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48919883373_c78d14c2d1_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48920418391_7afa30e64f_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Had spend sometime fixing my new daily driver hehe. RAM is still there but the WJ seems a lot better MPG wise driving around the city, going to gym etc, etc.
I was getting DW so i decided to fix the darn thing, checked all steering components and found the draglink was loose on one end, messed up steering stabilizer et,c so i replaced the SS, replaced both front axels shafts and both front hub bearings, greased all zerks in the control arms, fixed the gasket cover and oil pan gasket (Thanks a lot @hodge-xj for the suggestion, you were spot on it wasn't the rear main.) The last thing leaking is my steering gearbox seal, so I'm thinking to get a remanufactured from Vatozone or Oreally for $165 and replace the whole chit. I have a brand new pitman arm as well already to make this a plug and play deal. I have no more DW and no more smoke coming out of the AC vents and engine bay, it was embarrasing to drop the kids at school in the morning lol

I thought of selling and had listed in CL but it drives nice so i'll keep it for now
49034585941_c27a96e7d1_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48919883373_c78d14c2d1_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48920418391_7afa30e64f_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

For the money you have in that thing you're better off running it till the wheels fall off! I love those WJs! Just impossible to find clean rigs on the east coast.

If you have hints of DW still double check your castor. You want at minimum 4*. It's tough with low pinion axles, and pinion angle is priority for vibes, but .5-1* of castor will make a world of difference. I put 5* on my XJ and with a driveway alignment it runs great on the road, even with a trashed front dif. And I have no stabilizer. The remaned steering gear is so worth it, check quadratec out, they usually have good prices and fast shipping and return policies. I'd also look into a bolt on steering box brace and track bar brace as well as an upgraded spacer for behind the steering box. C-rok and JCR make them pretty cheap. I think my box brace is from rustys offroad....iirc. These uni body rigs have so much chassis flex the steering and other components take a beating where they attach. While it's apart it's a pretty noticeable and cheap addition.

Rig looks Good!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the money you have in that thing you're better off running it till the wheels fall off! I love those WJs! Just impossible to find clean rigs on the east coast.

If you have hints of DW still double check your castor. You want at minimum 4*. It's tough with low pinion axles, and pinion angle is priority for vibes, but .5-1* of castor will make a world of difference. I put 5* on my XJ and with a driveway alignment it runs great on the road, even with a trashed front dif. And I have no stabilizer. The remaned steering gear is so worth it, check quadratec out, they usually have good prices and fast shipping and return policies. I'd also look into a bolt on steering box brace and track bar brace as well as an upgraded spacer for behind the steering box. C-rok and JCR make them pretty cheap. I think my box brace is from rustys offroad....iirc. These uni body rigs have so much chassis flex the steering and other components take a beating where they attach. While it's apart it's a pretty noticeable and cheap addition.

Rig looks Good!

I'll have the alignment checked though the thing drives fairly straigh and doesn't wander one bit. The control arms are massive and long so at least the alignment seems fair but we'll see
48920418381_0da6b8d612_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48920623342_0388101284_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
That's a nice long am setup you've got! Castor is something that's a double edge sword on jeeps as I'm sure you know.

If it doesn't wander and the wheel returns to center on its own chances are you're in spec.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the D her first HPTune. Gotta love the pre 2015 PCM's lol.
I had to spend the regular $100 to tune the PCM, which typically includes the TCM, but not when you have the ZF8 trans. That's an extra 4 credits or the equivalent to $200 more although you can choose whether or not you want to allocate that portion in your tune. If you didn't then you can't touch the 8 speed side, and it'll be only $100 for the licenses. The 8 speed trans is impressive though and i want to change stuff in there. Now to study how to tune it :)

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Dario, quick numbers needed. Rear hub to fender on your current setup? These slf140s are down to 24" hub to fender......seriously can't believe they've sagged to no lift.

Prob gonna stick a spacer on my bilstein coils just being lazy and don't wanna search about 100 pages between our threads to find the info for s cross reference. :)

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dario, quick numbers needed. Rear hub to fender on your current setup? These slf140s are down to 24" hub to fender......seriously can't believe they've sagged to no lift.

Prob gonna stick a spacer on my bilstein coils just being lazy and don't wanna search about 100 pages between our threads to find the info for s cross reference. :)
Dude i didn't see the post until today. i'll take the measurement and post it.
Edited:
Seems to be around 24 1/2" but i have a bunch of extra weight that is not there in stock trim.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Dude i didn't see the post until today. i'll take the measurement and post it.
Edited:
Seems to be around 24 1/2" but i have a bunch of extra weight that is not there in stock trim.
All good bud! I was just curious and trying to estimate where my setup was gonna sit. Got it all in and sorted. I think I killed my slf140s a little bit.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upgraded my front door speakers with a cheap set of MTX Terminator 6x9 speakers from Crutchfield. My son fixed the sound that was coming for them :) I guess i suck at dialing the eq, i wasn't feeling the sound at all before he got his 11 year old ears into it hahaha. Adding the latest eq settings in case the darn thing gets reset for whatever reason T:-3,Mid:6,B:7

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So now that you've had the 37s on for a while I have a few questions. You know my setup. Obviously I have small tires on because I couldn't figure **** out and got to an endpass and needed tires. I WANT 35s or 37s.....sooooo

1-would you do it again
2-would you change anything about your setup

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So now that you've had the 37s on for a while I have a few questions. You know my setup. Obviously I have small tires on because I couldn't figure **** out and got to an endpass and needed tires. I WANT 35s or 37s.....sooooo

1-would you do it again
2-would you change anything about your setup

1.) Yes. The grin in my face when I go out and I’m walking towards the truck or when I open the garage in the morning every day is yuge. There are cons of course, main one is city MPG but I’m working more from home now days so it doesn’t hurt as bad as before.

2.) I don’t have a barking 1-2 wot shift anymore like I did with the factory tires lol but that’s ok with all the extra weight and all. The build is geared more towards outdoor adventure but if I had to change something, I’d love to have the 8 speed trans prob with same 3.92’s or do 4.56’s with what I have.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
1.) Yes. The grin in my face when I go out and I’m walking towards the truck or when I open the garage in the morning every day is yuge. There are cons of course, main one is city MPG but I’m working more from home now days so it doesn’t hurt as bad as before.

2.) I don’t have a barking 1-2 wot shift anymore like I did with the factory tires lol but that’s ok with all the extra weight and all. The build is geared more towards outdoor adventure but if I had to change something, I’d love to have the 8 speed trans prob with same 3.92’s or do 4.56’s with what I have.

Seriously, every time I look at your setup I want it. If your main complaint it mpg well that's a liveable trade off, and expected for 37s. I have the 8spd and 3.55s so it would be tolerable....maybe. I can burn the 34s I have no pretty easy so if I kept to lighter all terrains I might be alright. I'm currently preparing to sell my colorado and jeep, and with the free'd up money I'd like to finish up the Ram. Both you and revit are built and explore the way i intend to, in my head anyway. The jeep just doesn't have the room or the range, and the Ram is so much more comfortable it's spoiled me.

Still torn on 35x10.5x17s or just goin all out and getting on 37s, than I see your rig and I'm all about 37s. Not that I need 37s, but they look so damn good I WANT TO NEED THEM. Lol. I still have a little while yet, so I'm sure I'll swing back and forth on size. But ****, it looks so good

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seriously, every time I look at your setup I want it. If your main complaint it mpg well that's a liveable trade off, and expected for 37s. I have the 8spd and 3.55s so it would be tolerable....maybe. I can burn the 34s I have no pretty easy so if I kept to lighter all terrains I might be alright. I'm currently preparing to sell my colorado and jeep, and with the free'd up money I'd like to finish up the Ram. Both you and revit are built and explore the way i intend to, in my head anyway. The jeep just doesn't have the room or the range, and the Ram is so much more comfortable it's spoiled me.

Still torn on 35x10.5x17s or just goin all out and getting on 37s, than I see your rig and I'm all about 37s. Not that I need 37s, but they look so damn good I WANT TO NEED THEM. Lol. I still have a little while yet, so I'm sure I'll swing back and forth on size. But ****, it looks so good

The 8 speed trans ratio is so much better is not even funny.
Even with 3.55's the 8 speed has a lot more torque multiplication in every gear compared to the 6 speed trans even with 3.92's. 37's should feel better with the 8 speed and 3.55's compared to 6 speed and 3.92's.

upload_2019-12-14_15-2-37.png

I'll need 5.12's gears to more or less match what you guys have with the 8 speed and 3.55's
upload_2019-12-14_15-5-3.png

The 8 speed even with 3.21's have better torque ratios than the 6 with the 3.92's, it's crazy

3.21_3.92.png

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
The 8 speed trans ratio is so much better is not even funny.
Even with 3.55's the 8 speed has a lot more torque multiplication in every gear compared to the 6 speed trans even with 3.92's.

View attachment 188896

I'll need 5.12's gears to more or less match what you guys have with the 8 speed and 3.55's
View attachment 188897
My god, I've never really looked into the gear ratios. I just know the bottom is SHORT. This answers that. I need to fluid change and get a trans tune before i go pushing this thing too much. Just by feel I don't think I'll loose too much, especially if I can do like you and keep the weight down similar to the 35s.....gotta keep my offset around 0 so I don't maul my fenders, than I can loose these flares as well and not worry about getting covered in junk.

I've been really running the truck pretty hard on fire roads and I'm getting the bug. Rock crawling is cool, but speed is addictive....

I found a guy on IG with a similar setup to me, what he's put these 6112s through put alot more confidence in my stomach about letting her have the skinny pedal.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My god, I've never really looked into the gear ratios. I just know the bottom is SHORT. This answers that. I need to fluid change and get a trans tune before i go pushing this thing too much. Just by feel I don't think I'll loose too much, especially if I can do like you and keep the weight down similar to the 35s.....gotta keep my offset around 0 so I don't maul my fenders, than I can loose these flares as well and not worry about getting covered in junk.

I've been really running the truck pretty hard on fire roads and I'm getting the bug. Rock crawling is cool, but speed is addictive....

I found a guy on IG with a similar setup to me, what he's put these 6112s through put alot more confidence in my stomach about letting her have the skinny pedal.

If the 315's you had felt ok under your truck the 37's will feel very similar, just a tad more sluggish because of the size. Keeping the weight in check will be important because of it. Gearing wise you have more of that compared to what i have because of the trans ratio split so they should be ok.

Remember to push your caster higher if you go with 37's or she's going to rub hard on the fenders while turning. my truck wants at least 4.7* on the driver side and 5.1* on the passenger.

i'm rubbing slightly at 4.5* driver, 4.8* passenger but it's cosmetic though the sound in reverse on the driver side sometimes gets on my nerves if i'm not expecting it. I have none of that with 4.7* driver, 5.1* passenger. I'll get it fixed the next time i need alignment.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
If the 315's you had felt ok under your truck the 37's will feel very similar, just a tad more sluggish because of the size. Keeping the weight in check will be important because of it. Gearing wise you have more of that compared to what i have because of the trans ratio split so they should be ok.

Remember to push your caster higher if you go with 37's or she's going to rub hard on the fenders while turning. my truck wants at least 4.7* on the driver side and 5.1* on the passenger.

i'm rubbing slightly at 4.5* driver, 4.8* passenger but it's cosmetic though the sound in reverse on the driver side sometimes gets on my nerves if i'm not expecting it. I have none of that with 4.7* driver, 5.1* passenger. I'll get it fixed the next time i need alignment.

Truck drove just fine on 315s, I'm not expecting it to hold gears the same per se. If I run with the 37s I'm gonna plan appropriately, tune and all the extras. Truck is good on fuel, and im not scared of the skinny pedal. Ill still be around 20s mpg so ill survive. So many tires are out as of recent I'll have to research on them all some more. Bfg sits at top of the list. All my gripes have been related to poor tire choice, not size.

I need to get down and have my buddies shop align it. I brought it to a normal shop and they went to factory specs. I had my 275 65s rubbing, so I know it's bunk. I can also feel that the steering is pretty light and it's a bit light on the highway. Wonder if they can get us into 5* both sides?

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck drove just fine on 315s, I'm not expecting it to hold gears the same per se. If I run with the 37s I'm gonna plan appropriately, tune and all the extras. Truck is good on fuel, and im not scared of the skinny pedal. Ill still be around 20s mpg so ill survive. So many tires are out as of recent I'll have to research on them all some more. Bfg sits at top of the list. All my gripes have been related to poor tire choice, not size.

I need to get down and have my buddies shop align it. I brought it to a normal shop and they went to factory specs. I had my 275 65s rubbing, so I know it's bunk. I can also feel that the steering is pretty light and it's a bit light on the highway. Wonder if they can get us into 5* both sides?

I dont know.I've had same caster before on both sides in other vehicles but for some reason everyone wants to put a split in the RAM and make it higher on the passenger side. Maybe something to do with how caster and camber are dialed in with these trucks.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I dont know.I've had same caster before on both sides in other vehicles but for some reason everyone wants to put a split in the RAM and make it higher on the passenger side. Maybe something to do with how caster and camber are dialed in with these trucks.
Yea, idk enough about the "rules" of set up, I'll talk to the techs when the time comes. How's the top of the fender clearance? I know my 315s rubbed.

I'm starting to see more and more of our trucks running 37s. These trucks take a beating for sure, aside from broken CVs there's not many complaints.