2014 Ram 1500 Fuel Filter Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

40Gloc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi,

Did some searching but was unable to find where the fuel filter is located on a 2014 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Quad Cab. From what I see online some people state its in the fuel tank others say there is no fuel filter just a fuel screen on the pump itself.

HotChickenStrips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The filter is embedded in the unit inside the tank, non replaceable. Don't worry about it, they never get plugged up because is a returnless system.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
they never get plugged up because is a returnless system.
What and how does the system not having a return have anything to do with a pump filter plugging up?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
@40Gloc - Like others have said the unit has a filter on the bottom of the pump assembly. Unless you have an issue, do not change it.

FYI: A major defect in model years 2014-2016 have had the level sensor attached to the pump fail. The level sensor is the arm with the float attached to it (see pic). Example: fuel tank level just below half tank and check engine comes on. The CE light will go away if you fill the tank but will come back just below half tank again. Several threads about this problem. They have to drop the tank to replace the part. I’m shocked this is not a recall or TSB considering it’s so common.

C9B7576B-6931-4A61-9E9F-F19C52A97F2A.jpeg

HotChickenStrips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What and how does the system not having a return have anything to do with a pump filter plugging up?

In a return system, ALL the fuel being pressurized by the pump goes though the filter, but there's a whole lot of fuel the engine doesn't need and use, and the regulator is AFTER the pump. So the fuel get's filtrated again and again.

In a returnless system, the pressure regulator is in the pump unit, the famous sending unit, so let's say such and such vehicle has a pressure requirement of 45 psi, the pump always produces more than that, but the regulator only lets 45 to the engine so the rest gets dumped back, and the filter is AFTER the regulator, so its only filtering what is really needed by the engine.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've not pulled one on a Ram, but I'm assuming the filter is basically a pad in the bottom of the assembly you can't get at without taking the pump apart, which I'm not sure is even possible w/out breaking things. There's no sock, etc.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
In a return system, ALL the fuel being pressurized by the pump goes though the filter, but there's a whole lot of fuel the engine doesn't need and use, and the regulator is AFTER the pump. So the fuel get's filtrated again and again.

In a returnless system, the pressure regulator is in the pump unit, the famous sending unit, so let's say such and such vehicle has a pressure requirement of 45 psi, the pump always produces more than that, but the regulator only lets 45 to the engine so the rest gets dumped back, and the filter is AFTER the regulator, so its only filtering what is really needed by the engine.
I know the difference between the two, but it doesn't matter if the fuel goes through the filter once or a thousand times. Once the filter removes the dirt down it rated particulate size, it's not going to plug any more unless new contamination is introduced.
If you get a tanks of dirty fuel, it will plug up the in tank fuel filter and/or the injectors which I'm guessing have inlet screens whether the system is returnless or not.

When bypass fuel or oil filtration is done, the filter medium is usually is smaller than the acceptable particulate size as a filter to handle that capacity required would be too big for the application.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah being a return less system makes no difference on the fuel filter. I'm pretty sure these dodges don't dump the excess either. If I remember it just holds head pressure with no dump.

hogn99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@40Gloc - Like others have said the unit has a filter on the bottom of the pump assembly. Unless you have an issue, do not change it.

FYI: A major defect in model years 2014-2016 have had the level sensor attached to the pump fail. The level sensor is the arm with the float attached to it (see pic). Example: fuel tank level just below half tank and check engine comes on. The CE light will go away if you fill the tank but will come back just below half tank again. Several threads about this problem. They have to drop the tank to replace the part. I’m shocked this is not a recall or TSB considering it’s so common.

View attachment 205462

hogn99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Justice - thanks for posting. I replaced the fuel pump assembly on my 2014 in 2019, and it's going out again. Same symptoms you describe with the float. Have you seen any fixes? Is it buildup that a treatment will fix, or can anything else be done other than replacing the assembly? I agree it should be a recall if there are that many problems; I don't want to replace it AGAIN!