2017 3.6 wants to run hot 226-230 before cooling down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

christians4hope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 vvt
So I just bought my 2017 ram 1500. I can't just go out and buy new trucks.
So, it's still 77 degrees in Kentucky but if it's hot now, whats going to happen when it's 100 outside. I had a brand new radiator and thermostat. What can is the best option to help keep it cool?
Runs to 234 today at 73 Degrees. Fan kicked on and back to 210. In town. Hwy it's a solid 224.
Never had a Ram. Trying not to have to put a lot in it if something was to happen

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You need to be more specific on "running hot"
Considering the thermostat is a 204° stat, running 210° is easily normal for freeway driving.
Some people have sought out 195° stats but anything lower like a 180° may cause a CEL as the engine won't reach proper operating temperature.

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before I took some slats out of my AGS my 3.6 would get up to 226 before cooling down, as long as it's not going above that I wouldn't worry. These engines run hotter for emissions IIRC, only reason I took some slats out of the AGS is I take trips to the mountains and want that little bit of extra airflow to keep things cool

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 3.6 runs about 210 on the freeway and occasionally climbs as high as 220 then the fan kicks on and it goes back down to 210-215. Coming off the freeway it will climb to the mid 220’s until the fan brings it back down to 210. Occasionally in town driving will come close to 230 before it returns to the 210 range. I have a stock engine with a 204 thermostat and outside temps here in SE VA are similar to yours in KY.

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just bought my 2017 ram 1500. I can't just go out and buy new trucks.
So, it's still 77 degrees in Kentucky but if it's hot now, whats going to happen when it's 100 outside. I had a brand new radiator and thermostat. What can is the best option to help keep it cool?
Runs to 234 today at 73 Degrees. Fan kicked on and back to 210. In town. Hwy it's a solid 224.
Never had a Ram. Trying not to have to put a lot in it if something was to happen
I see you've edited your main post, those temps look normal to me, the 234 looks to be stop and go temps. If you're that worried about it look into taking some slats out of the AGS like I did. I only left my top amd bottom and the highest I've seen it in heavy stop amd go traffic is 205

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had similar temps in my hemi. Remove the AGS and install a 180 tstat and you'll notice a big difference. You may want to tune the fan to come on sooner as well.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I have the same year truck and the same engine. I have over time experimented with the active grill shutters. Originally I was running just the top and bottom. After a while running like that I added two shutters back. Honestly I cannot remember what position I put those two back into. Probably added to the top and bottom. I saw no change between two shutters installed and four shutters installed. Highway cruising I am almost exclusively 197 degrees on the engine coolant and 193 degrees on the oil Temp. in all ambient temperatures. City driving I will see a pretty dramatic increase in Temps. 225 - 230 on the coolant if very warm ambient Temp. The oil Temp. will rise to equal the coolant Temp. and once in a while running a bit higher than the coolant Temp. i.e. coolant = 215 and oil = 220. I have often wondered just when the fan is supposed to run and what Temp. coolant thermostat the V-6 has. I cannot say that I have ever been aware of the electric fan running! I have a bit of a hearing problem though. I question as to whether or not all the parameters for the V-6 are the same or similar as the Hemi. i.e. isn't the 204 degree thermostat a V-8 semi Spec? I have tried to get a definitive answer on what the stock coolant thermostat Temp. is as well as a definitive answer as to what the set points are for electric fan activation as well as electric fan shut down. I have not been successful. I have come to the conclusion that the Pentastar as used in our trucks is set up to run at pretty high Temps. Higher than what an old dog like me likes to see.
I do my best to live with it.
If anyone has the for sure without a doubt answer to the V-6 Pentastar thermostat specs as well as the electric cooling fan set points I sure would appreciate the answer.
I am contemplating putting all the grill shutters back in place just to see what happens.
Also, running the air conditioner does not seem to activate the electric fan like I have read that it does.
224 highway and 234 city does seem a tad high for OP . Interesting that OP's fan did not come on until over 230 degree's. Maybe that is why I have never heard mine run and would support the idea that the V-6 is set up to run at higher Temps.