Lifter Failure / Hot Oil / Better Cooling etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Boy, that camshaft axis sure is way, way up there in the block. Without robust rocker arm oil drainback, that thing isn't going to see much lubrication otherwise. Cams were never intended to be primarily oiled via crank counterweight splash windage. Unlike the Briggs & Stratton oil dipper splashers.
They were,think back to when we had flat tappet cams,the only oiling the face of the lifter and lobe face got was strictly by crank splash,they'd leak oil down the side of the lifter,but that didn't put any oil on the face of the lifter or lobe.Number 1 reason why you always broke a new set of lifters and a flat tappet cam in was by keeping the engine at 2500 rpm as soon as it fired for 20+ minutes,and never letting it spin over on the starter to build oil pressure. You always wanted the timing and carb close enough it would start almost instantly so you could get the rpm up

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They were,think back to when we had flat tappet cams,the only oiling the face of the lifter and lobe face got was strictly by crank splash,they'd leak oil down the side of the lifter,but that didn't put any oil on the face of the lifter or lobe.Number 1 reason why you always broke a new set of lifters and a flat tappet cam in was by keeping the engine at 2500 rpm as soon as it fired for 20+ minutes,and never letting it spin over on the starter to build oil pressure. You always wanted the timing and carb close enough it would start almost instantly so you could get the rpm up

I don't recall that, was in my teens - pretty much did as I was told so as not to f up an engine in shop.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't recall that, was in my teens - pretty much did as I was told so as not to f up an engine in shop.
You always broke a flat tappet cam in at 2.000 to 2500 rpm for at least 20 mins to a 1/2 hour,so the lifter face would get oil .If you let a new flat tappet cam idle with-out breaking it in,odds are you'd have a flat lobe in a 1,000 miles.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah I know there was break in, but not specifics. I also recall lots of ZDDP oil additive was needed to control high wear rate due to boundary lubrication.

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So EOD wrap up after the Suns won…

New cam in, new lifters in, new timing chain, guide and tensioner in, timing set.

Gotta get the new hellcat pump in… might have to take the tensioner back out to have enough room. I’ll zip tie the timing chain so I don’t lose timing.

Since I have to work tomorrow, probably only get to instal the springs in the heads and clean the combustion chambers since it’ll already be dark after I get home.

Probably take the day off one day this week to button things back up:

Still remaining
• install oil pump
• install new timing cover gasket and crank seal.
• instal new water pump & tstat
• Install valve springs
• clean combustion chambers
• clean block head gasket surface
• reinstall cylinder heads - torque to spec, connect electronics (rear of head)
• install pushrods and rocker arms
• install valve covers & gaskets
• reattach pcm to firewall
• install coil packs
• install intake manifold
• install fuel injectors and rails
• Install crank pulley
• install serp tensioner, alternator, serp belt
• torque cranke bolt
• install radiator & hoses re attach ac condensor
• install fan
• install air intake
• fill rad (water flush) burp
• oil
• prime engine oil
• connect battery
Start

I’m probably forgetting some steps but will figure that out when I see what bolts are left over

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So EOD wrap up after the Suns won…

New cam in, new lifters in, new timing chain, guide and tensioner, timing set.

Gotta get the new hellcat pump in… might have to take the tensioner back out to have enough room. I’ll zip tie the timing chain so I don’t lose timing.

Since I have to work tomorrow, probably only get to instal the springs in the heads and clean the combustion chambers since it’ll already be dark after when I get home.

Probably take the day off one day this week to button thing back up:

Still remaining
• install oil pump
• install new timing cover gasket and crank seal.
• instal new water pump & tstat
• Install valve springs
• clean combustion champbers
• clean block head gasket surface
• reinstall cylinder heads - torque to spec, connect electronics (rear of head)
• install valve covers & gaskets
• install coil packs
• install intake manifold
• install fuel injectors and rails
• reattach pcm to firewall, install harness
• Install crank pulley
• install tensioner, alternator, serp belt
• torque cranke bolt
• install radiator & hoses re attach ac condensor
• install fan
• install air intake
• fill coolant and oil
• prime engine oil
• connect battery
Start

I’m probably forgetting some steps but will figure that out when I see what bolts are left over
Use a straightened out coat hanger or a piece of welding wire to hold the pushrods in line when you go to re-install the rocker shafts.Lay the welding wire/coat hanger lengthwise along the rocker stands,then lay the pushrods up against it,to keep them in a line

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Use a straightened out coat hanger or a piece of welding wire to hold the pushrods in line when you go to re-install the rocker shafts.Lay the welding wire/coat hanger lengthwise along the rocker stands,then lay the pushrods up against it,to keep them in a line
Thanks for the pointer!

Does anyone use rtv when putting the timing cover back on? in the bottom corners of the timing cover / block/ oil pan? I’ve seen some people use it just dunno if it’s necessary or will create problems etc?

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
in the time it took for the other knockoff spring compressor to strip I did the other 10 springs tonight and cleaned the combustion chambers…

Oh what a difference the right tool makes. Anyone doing this in the future pony up for the powerhouse brand compressor for sure

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so I got through the following today:
• install oil pump (with tooth floss trick)
• install timing cover & gaskets
• install water pump
• install serp tensioner
• reattach ac compressor
• install crank pulley
• install cylinder heads and gaksets
• reattach ecu and ground to firewall

Things are coming along a lot slower than anticipated (mainly due to my bad back and being sore from climbing in and out of the engine bay), but still eating the elephant one bite at a time.

Should be done tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WOW!!! I put the ******* head gaskets on the wrong banks so when I went to fill the radiator it just poured out the passenger side head.

JUST ******* GREAT I WAS DONE AND NOW I HAVE TO TAKE THE ******* HEADS OFF AGAIN

Note felpro LEFT and RIGHT don’t mean while facing the engine… left is drivers side, right is passenger side.

I knew this was an issue and swore up and down I triple checked them!

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
WOW!!! I put the ******* head gaskets on the wrong banks so when I went to fill the radiator it just poured out the passenger side head.

JUST ******* GREAT I WAS DONE AND NOW I HAVE TO TAKE THE ******* HEADS OFF AGAIN

Note felpro LEFT and RIGHT don’t mean while facing the engine… left is drivers side, right is passenger side.

I knew this was an issue and swore up and down I triple checked them!

guess I must have misplaced them cause I placed them on the windshield in what I thought was the right location
When ever you see Left / Right,it's always from the view you see looking out the windshield, if you were sitting in the drivers seat,even if you're where the steering wheel happens to be on the "wrong" side. Don't worry,you're not the first guy who's installed the head gaskets assbackwards,and you won't be the last :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When ever you see Left / Right,it's always from the view you see looking out the windshield, if you were sitting in the drivers seat,even if you're where the steering wheel happens to be on the "wrong" side. Don't worry,you're not the first guy who's installed the head gaskets assbackwards,and you won't be the last :Big Laugh:
I know left is driver
I paid attention to that I was certain I had them on the right sides I honestly don’t know how this happened and I’m super deflated

Instead of adding water and oil and starting I’m tearing this **** back apart.

Par for the course for me it seems

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I know left is driver
I paid attention to that I was certain I had them on the right sides I honestly don’t know how this happened and I’m super deflated

Instead of adding water and oil and starting I’m tearing this **** back apart.

Par for the course for me it seems
Don't feel bad,most of us have been there ourselves to,but it does suck having to tear it back apart.Chalk it down to a learning experience from the school of hard knocks,the teachers there are a biitch,but they make sure you never do it again,lol

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lemmie guess I should be replacing these gaskets now?

Edit - bought new gaskets as there was a slight scratch in some of the sealant strips.

Don’t wanna do this again for another leak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lemmie guess I should be replacing these gaskets now?

Edit - bought new gaskets as there was a slight scratch in some of the sealant strips.

Don’t wanna do this again for another leak.
So wrapped up the day at the bequest of my back.

New gaskets in, heads retorqued, pushrods, rocker arms, valve covers and coil packs back on.

put water in the rad to check for leaks… none this time. Thankfully.

Here’s a good one, on the electrical connection to my alternator (the plug not the nut and ring), the locking tab on the alt side is gone so the connector doesn’t click and lock on…
Like seriously? Not buying a new alternator for a broken tab… duck tape? Rubber cement? (The stuff that’s easy to remove if pulled but will keep something in place).

Next time: intake manifold, intake, alternator, serp belt, water, oil, connect battery.

Also note, felpro valve cover gaskets suck. The tabs to keep it in the groove are too small so it falls out. Ended up using some dabs of rtv as an adhesive.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have learned to love rtv, I will use it for any gasket I can get away with.