2019 HD Tail lights in a 4th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

them0difier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick question, I see that the 2019 terminal uses two grounds. Pin #5 and #8. I’m just doing the basic setup. Does the adapter harness need to connect to both grounds or just one of them?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick question, I see that the 2019 terminal uses two grounds. Pin #5 and #8. I’m just doing the basic setup. Does the adapter harness need to connect to both grounds or just one of them?
Thanks

On the right side, use all 3 grounds. On the left side, skip the ground on pin 8.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, so why skip pin 8 on left side?

The blind spot sensors use the ground on pin 8 to define sides. So when pin 8 is grounded it defines the sensor as the right side, ungrounded defines as the sensor as left.

OP
OP
S

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which mirror glass were you using when you ran into this problem? Were they the 2019 glass with the LED Blind spot light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No, I haven't got the 2019 glass yet, it should be here next week, I am using some generic indicator LED's that I put behind the mirror glass and can see the reflection on the chrome mirror housings, I'll post a pic, I had everything enabled, but because I didn't have the indicators hooked up to the door modules, it would not let the system operate because of the active trouble codes in the door modules. After I installed the LED indicators everything worked correctly. I will update once I get the 2019 glass, it should be getting here Wednesday or Thursday

View media item 28489View media item 28490

them0difier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The blind spot sensors use the ground on pin 8 to define sides. So when pin 8 is grounded it defines the sensor as the right side, ungrounded defines as the sensor as left.

Okay, so why all 3 pins on right, and not just two?

them0difier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1st ground is for the tail lights, 2nd is for blind side sensor side definition, 3rd ground is for the blind spot sensor.

But I’m just doing a basic setup(no blind side/spot).
So do I only use #5 pin?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
But why all 3 on right?

Another way to explain- both sensors sitting on the bench are identical with the same circuits to run them with two grounds. If both grounds are hooked up on both sensors, the can bus thinks there are two right side sensors. By NOT grounding pin 8 on the left side, the can bus can now differentiate between which one is the left side and which one is the right side.

them0difier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you’re not running the blind spot, you only need to use pin 5 as the ground for the lights.

Thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully this will help others reading this thread, and just doing a basic setup.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just did a bunch of testing. Five layers of masking tape on the sensors, and they still pick up cars at the same distance. That’s enough for me to be confident I can paint the sensor part max steel metallic.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did a bunch of testing. Five layers of masking tape on the sensors, and they still pick up cars at the same distance. That’s enough for me to be confident I can paint the sensor part max steel metallic.
Paint the masking tape with the metallic paint before committing. The metallic paint may mess with the sensors.

The Grand Cherokees have been know to be sensitive to paint resprays on the bumpers.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I haven't got the 2019 glass yet, it should be here next week, I am using some generic indicator LED's that I put behind the mirror glass and can see the reflection on the chrome mirror housings, I'll post a pic, I had everything enabled, but because I didn't have the indicators hooked up to the door modules, it would not let the system operate because of the active trouble codes in the door modules. After I installed the LED indicators everything worked correctly. I will update once I get the 2019 glass, it should be getting here Wednesday or Thursday

View media item 28489View media item 28490

Thanks, Keeping fingers crossed you get the glass to fit[emoji1695]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Paint the masking tape with the metallic paint before committing. The metallic paint may mess with the sensors.

The Grand Cherokees have been know to be sensitive to paint resprays on the bumpers.

Got some leftover color match from when I did headlight housings going on the tape right now.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A general question about these taillights...how do they work *as lights*? Are they actually bright LEDs?

I replaced my stock with factory LED tails but had to replace the backup lamp on the factory LEDs since they still used halogen. The replacement LEDs are brighter than all get out....how is the brightness on the HD taillight backup lamps?

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got some leftover color match from when I did headlight housings going on the tape right now.
Go big and just get some super metallic rattle can from an auto parts store to make it a worse case scenario. Throw two layers on and see how it does.

Last edited:

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A general question about these tiallights...how do they work *as lights*? Are they actually bright LEDs?

I replaced my stock with factory LED tails but had to replace the backup lamp on the factory LEDs since they still used halogen. The replacement LEDs are brighter than all get out....how is the brightness on the HD taillight backup lamps?
They are pretty bright. They are at least on par with my LED tails. The reverse lights are brighter by a huge margin.

Last edited: