3.6l Oil change issues

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Grad12, Aug 19, 2014.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. Grad12

Grad12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    v6 3.6
    My truck has 12 000 kms on it and this is the second time I change my oil with the same issue. The manual indicates the truck takes 6quarts or 5.7l of oil. I fill to that exact specification but the dipstick isn't even touching oil! I tried starting it up and letting it run for -30 seconds. Finally when the truck sits after two hours the dipsticks just barely touches oil. I purposely filled my truck with another half quart just so the oil touches the dipstick halfway.

Does anyone else have this issue when changing the oil? I know for the 2014's it's a new oil filter, so I don't know if that's the issue.

2. Grad12

Grad12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    v6 3.6
    I contacted the dealership and they gave me the: "we've done 100 000 oil changes so I think we know what we're doing." "You need to put in 5.7 litres."

If they are only putting 5.7 litres of oil in the new 3.6l's they're not putting enough in, or my dipstick is way off.

3. jcat

jcat Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    stupid question...are you taking the truck off the ramps before you check the oil?

4. Grad12

Grad12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    v6 3.6
    I don't use the ramps, I just crawl underneath. It's on level ground. Good question though. Twice I've done the change, both times on different ground.

5. hemihustlin

hemihustlin Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Oem capacitys are approximate. Oil temp and draintime can greatly affect how much oil you put back in. At the dealer they dont even let the oil drain for 5 mins before the plug goes back on. If you let it drain an hour or during lunch or whatever alot more oil is going to drip out. Depending on the situation i ofter put in at least a half quart more than the spec. Let the dipstick guide you, it never lies.

6. Jmhm17

Jmhm17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L HEMI
    ^^ what he said. I always get an extra quart, I never pay attention until the last 2 quarts then start checking the dip stick religiously.

And I have been a victim of checking it with it still on the ramps, im like "WHAT IS GOING ON, AHHHHHH!!!!" hahaha

However to answer your question directly, I put the recommended in and it shows on the dip stick, I have a 5.7 tho, but again, the dip stick is your guide..

7. jcat

jcat Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    When I did my 5.7, I knew the stated capacity was 7 qt. I had a 10qt drain pan and it was easily close enough to 3/4 full that I knew the majority had come out. Hell it shot out of the pan like a fire hose. Then I put in 6.5 qt, checked the dipstick and it read normal, started the truck, revved a couple times after 10 sec, checked again and it needed the 7th quart.

8. Grad12

Grad12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    v6 3.6
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep doing the oil change and checking the dipstick like I do. I do let the oil drip out for about 20-30 minutes, so that might account for the extra half-full quart.

hemihustlin likes this.
  9. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    I have the same issue for whatever reason. My Hemi takes 8 quarts and everyone else's seams to take 7. So far I haven't had any leaking, so I believe it actually needs 8 quarts. Make no sense but whatever.

10. smiley

smiley Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ram Year:
    2009 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4WD
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L
    My Hemi and the 05 I had before both take a perfect 7 with filter. I don't know where that other oil is going but a dipstick is not exact science for sure. If I do extended drain I have to add some so maybe if I started with 8 I would not have to :)

$miley