3500 Conundrum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Here is my dilemma...I ordered a 3500 Dually HO diesel Tradesman with the Max Tow package on March 18th. As of today it still has not entered production. I am leaving PA for AZ at the end of September. I need this truck to pull the 5th wheel toy hauler we just bought. Even if this truck was built tomorrow I have my doubts it would make it to my dealer in time.

I just found a 2019 3500 Bighorn Dually without the max tow package about two hours away from me. 16,000 miles nicely equipped...fifth wheel/gooseneck prep with the towing technology group, heated seats, etc.

I am really tempted to cancel my order and jump on the 2019. They are asking $67,500

What do you think?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
keep the order, you might be able to recoup most what the '19 cost you, make up your mind which truck you want when the new one shows up

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
keep the order, you might be able to recoup most what the '19 cost you, make up your mind which truck you want when the new one shows up
IF, the ordered tuck gets here on time. That is my biggest concern, being all ready to go with no truck.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I was going to order a new truck couple of months ago as well. The dealer I delt with flat out told me that he didnt care if I actually came and got the truck I ordered or not. Cause they would sell it for more to someone else anyway. He just wanted me to place the order. I ended up finding my truck elsewhere in the interim.

Your really rolling the dice, waiting to see if your ordered truck makes it in time.

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Your really rolling the dice, waiting to see if your ordered truck makes it in time.
You are right about rolling the dice. I'm not much of a gambler so I am talking with the dealer that has the 2019 to see what kind of trade I can get.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have seen on here several threads where guys are thrilled their new truck came in record time. But then there's the other 50 guys who placed their orders and are still waiting, and waiting. There's no rhyme or reason as to when and if your order gets fulfilled or not. And then there is the shipping delays. I really didnt have a hard deadline I needed my new truck to show up by, cause I wasnt letting my old one go till the deal was done.
Best of luck!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
^^ This ^^

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
As mentioned that dealer will have no problem selling the new truck if you don't take it. I ordered my 3500 1/31/22. It finally got built on 6/24/22 but has been waiting on a train ever since. I could have pushed it up here from Mexico quicker!!! Some people are getting theirs after about 90 days while I have heard others taking about 12 months! It really is rolling the dice. If you like the 19' I would go ahead & get it. If you REALLY like the new one you ordered maybe you could get buy with the 6.4 truck you own, until the new one comes in. I have been pulling a 13,500lb. 5th wheel with my 2500 6.4L for 3 years now. Are you going to be pulling your toy hauler a bunch, or just moving it down to AZ?

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Mine has been done since June 14th & is still sitting in Mexico!!! I have ordered vehicles before & was pretty patient but I am at the 6 month mark now & getting REALLY frustrated!

As mentioned that dealer will have no problem selling the new truck if you don't take it. I ordered my 3500 1/31/22. It finally got built on 6/24/22 but has been waiting on a train ever since. I could have pushed it up here from Mexico quicker!!! Some people are getting theirs after about 90 days while I have heard others taking about 12 months! It really is rolling the dice. If you like the 19' I would go ahead & get it. If you REALLY like the new one you ordered maybe you could get buy with the 6.4 truck you own, until the new one comes in. I have been pulling a 13,500lb. 5th wheel with my 2500 6.4L for 3 years now. Are you going to be pulling your toy hauler a bunch, or just moving it down to AZ?
Just pulling it to AZ. We plan to stay in the same place from late October until mid April. I pulled the toy hauler home about 175 miles when we bought it. The 6.4 did struggle on some of the hills. The 2019 3500 is a Big Horn and has a few more bells and whistles than the 2022 Tradesman I ordered. The only thing the Big Horn is missing is the max tow package. It has 5th wheel/Gooseneck prep but has 3.73 rears. It does have the HO Cummins and Aisin transmission.

My salesman for the 2022 claims it will ship August 10th...he also told be it was going to ship in June :manos:

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I wonder if our trucks are buddies and they're tailgating waiting for their ride home?
I got a 3500 built 7/25.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I agree with Crash68, keep the new order in play and buy the '19 to cover your bases. When the new one arrives, either you decide to keep the '19 and your dealer sells the new one to someone else or you trade the '19 for the new one. You'll likely lose a few bucks over all on the two deals but it's better than not being able to do what you need to do at the end of September.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would not let the max tow package bother you if that's what is causing you to hesitate. That HO with 3.73 gears will be plenty enough truck to pull that toy hauler. If you like the 2019 better I would talk them down a bit and buy it!

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you can rent a truck for your trip, rent it and wait for your dream truck. Will be worth it in the end.

Depending on the sales tax in your state this may be the best route to take if possible. Your sales tax on the '19 could be close to the rental price. Do a little math before you buy the pre-owned. That could help you decide. That is unless you really want the '19. With only 16K miles it's should still be like new (Myself, I would check to see if the 3/36 part of the warranty was still good though). Good luck, I really hope your new ones shows in time to cancel this decision out. I can see the conundrum you're dealing with.

From what I'm seeing the HD trucks coming out of Mexico are taking much longer than the 1500's built here in the USA. There are so many variables these days it hard to tell why though.

Last edited:

mkhaydn

Reaction score
Ram Year
I am on 9 months waiting, order in Oct 2021 was built March 2022 still sitting and on top of that the train gods are on strike wanting like a 27% increase I heard. My dealer is not happy either and talking to manufacture there useless....hang in there

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I have given up and just bought this 2019 Bighorn. Upgraded Katzin leather interior, Amp powered running boards, Trailer Tow technology, 16,000 miles. All recalls done including HPFP.
Bighorn 3500.jpg

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the new buy. Since you said you’ll be snowbirding here in AZ, dear god don’t register your truck here. My $28k 1500 cost $700/yr for registration tax. Yes seven hundred dollaridoos for ONE year’s registration.

AZ’s registrations scheme is absurd… for a $60k truck it’ll be double that!

OP
OP
P B Casterlin

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Congrats on the new buy. Since you said you’ll be snowbirding here in AZ, dear god don’t register your truck here. My $28k 1500 cost $700/yr for registration tax. Yes seven hundred dollaridoos for ONE year’s registration.

AZ’s registrations scheme is absurd… for a $60k truck it’ll be double that!
Holy Hell! I thought PA was bad. I think a 1 ton in PA is about $300. Don't worry though PA gets us with one of the highest fuel tax in the country. Looking forward to getting down there. We were there in February scouting around. Stopped in Scottsdale to get a pair of Tecovas boots. We will be staying south of Tucson, near Three Points.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am on 9 months waiting, order in Oct 2021 was built March 2022 still sitting and on top of that the train gods are on strike wanting like a 27% increase I heard. My dealer is not happy either and talking to manufacture there useless....hang in there
So the train strike did actually happen? I would say they need to get a bunch of trucks down there to bring up vehicles, but semi drivers are in short supply to. What a mess!!! I have been waiting 6 months & about ready to give up & look for something within a 200 mile radius that's not exactly what I want. :(