35w or 55w HIDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptCurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 1500 w/factory projectors. Im looking into HID kits but don’t know which to get between the 35w or 55w. Does it matter?? Also, I don’t have alfaobd and have no plans to get it. Will this be an issue?
This is similar to what your asking, had to replace fog light bulbs on my wife's Subaru Legacy. Here, the lenses were melted/disfigured because they must of been changed before, but were the wrong wattage. 55W were in it, and found out in owners manual that 35W are called for it. Good luck!

djhartm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mt Morimoto HID's lasted almost 10-years.

IMHO the LED crap you get on Amazon is throw-away chinese garbage.

You can get a new HID system for $50 with a 55W ballast & CAN adaptors.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Will probably go with underground lightings HID

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

+ 1 on this! Wasted enough time and money on LED's, that according to many reviews, "light up the night!". Might work for some, but not for me (projector housings).

Kingjinx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi Sport 5.7
HI, I have same set up you are asking about factory halogen projectors, I bought many sets of LED to get the right ones, buy plug n play canbus 6000k 9005 hb3 brand I bought is RCP n 9012 70W 7000lm u won't be disappointed everything else flickers

mmsedlacek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 4WD Quad Cab 160.5" SXT. Bought it about four years ago. Third owner.

I added in aftermarket LED lights. I also put the LED headlights in a 2003 Honda Pilot. I was very impressed with them and very happy with them. So much more light to see at night.

For the 2009 Ram, I had a hard time seeing at night with low beams and oncoming traffic, etc. I recently put in the LED headlights and they are SO MUCH better. I feel safe now driving at night. I do not get people flashing their high beams at me so I'm assuming that mine are similar to other LED headlights.

I got my LED lights from https://www.headlightexperts.com/

Just be warned, that you may need the Warning Cancellers / Capacitors. They aren't required to order but if they suggest them in the drop down, you MUST get them. If you don't, the lights flicker on and off and it's undriveable at night. The reason they do that, I think, is that you may already have the Cancellors/Capacitors and so you can just order the lights separately. But if it is your first purchase for that vehicle, and they have the drop down, then you need them.

I highly recommend these or something similar. Very happy with them. On the Pilot, I had one of the headlights go out after a year or something and they replaced it for free, except I had to pay to send the one headlight back ($5?). I quickly got a new light and they were still both working after about 5-6 years before I sold the Pilot.

I don't work for this company or have any financial interest in them. Just happy with the product.

Matt

blackram446

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
I honestly would get plug in play LED bulbs 55w or under 6500k color 10,000 lumen or so without balist. In my opinion HIDs kits are expensive and are crap. I did a LED swap in all my vehicles and never had issues. Those balist fail a lot. The LED bulb kits run $35-$135 depending on the brands. Most headlight wire harnesses are 55w so don’t go any higher then that. Is your headlights integrated or bulb swap? Again it’s just my opinion and never had issues with LED bulbs and always had issues with HIDs
LEDs perform poorly in RAM projector housings. Very poorly. Plenty of test vids out there showing how scattered the beam pattern is. Now if it was the reflector housing than yes LEDs are the way to go.

gounc82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 1500 with projector headlights. I’ve been battling led’s for while now. I recently purchased the Sealight S7S which is the brightest they make and they are bright but the light pattern sucks. I just purchased the 35w 6000k hid kit from Underground Lighting and first impression is definitely the best light output and pattern. This is the way to go for sure. The install was a piece of cake and customer service is awesome. This hid setup blows the led’s away.

Apgreen32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know you're getting a lot of responses here, but I just wanted to add my own experience in the mix in regards to your original post.

A lot of the responses from other members are great info. Generally go with HID's and stay away from the LEDs. There's too many good quality kits out there (Underground above, although I chose Retrofit shop) to go with the easy LED route. 35w or 55w almost depends on your preference. Obviously one is higher power, go that route if you feel the need to. My 35w at 5000K is plenty bright for me, personally. The canbus adapters and the ballasts in my kit from Retrofit Shop were visibly a high quality product. Everything appeared waterproof/dustproof and with mounting holes to secure to framerails or whatever. I was very impressed. I've also heard great things about Underground above, but I have no personal experience.

You can do a kit with HID's or LED's without messing with Alfa. However, you'll get a "Low/High Beam light out" message that comes up every time you start the vehicle. Its not an issue for some people.

Feel free to reach out with any questions, and post pics of whatever route you decide to go. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat