4th Gen Suspension Creak Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicknasty22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, looking for some help chasing down a suspension creak. I'm at my wit's end and can't figure it out.
I have a 2012 ram 1500 express QC with the tow package. It's leveled on bilstein 5100s and 35s on the stock 20s.
Within the last year I have replaced the lower ball joint, upper control arm assembly, lower shock mount bushing, I thought it was a blown shock so just replaced the 5100s with new ones, new upper sprint seat and rubber bushing, cleaned and painted lower spring seat, new tie rod end links. Disconnected sway bar end links and it's still there. Everything has been torqued to spec.
Now for the bizarre part..
After I jack it up and do the suspension work, it's gone for a few days but then comes back full force. If I lock the wheel out in one direction it goes away. It sounds like it's coming from the center of the knuckle when I'm under the truck bouncing it, but it's so loud it's hard to pinpoint the height. I don't think it's the body mounts. Video below, front passenger side only. I welcome all thoughts and inputs. Thanks for your time.

-Nick

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nicknasty22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha yeah I was thinking that but dousing them in wd doesn't seem to change it at all.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree, with above, I believe it's the bushings.

OP
OP
N

nicknasty22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. Just wanted a sanity check before I rip it apart for the 3rd time.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don't you have someone that can push down while you are underneath truck? And you didnt do upper shock mount bushing, another possible culprit.

You using poly bushing everything you replace? I would.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
When I rebuilt the front end I went with Moog LCAs, solid cast iron w/bushings & greasable ball joints already in. Way better than the OE cast aluminum.

OP
OP
N

nicknasty22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah been doing that it's just very hard to localize it since it's so loud. If I put my ear on the forward one it sounds like it's more rearward and vice versa. You can only shove your head so far into the wheel well. I'm gonna grab a stethoscope tonight and give that a shot. I replaced the upper spring hat that has a rubber bushing and the 3 bolts that then bolt into the frame mount. If there's something else up there then I'm missing it.

OP
OP
N

nicknasty22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@NJMOPAR i used a Moog greasable lower ball joint and pressed it into the oem LCA just because it was so much cheaper. If it is those bushings then I'll have to figure out whether to just swap them or do the whole arm.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Unless you have the ability to press in/out the bushings you'll spend more in labor than the cost of a Moog arm. Arm has to come off to do it.

OP
OP
N

nicknasty22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, 4x4. Advance auto rents a free ball joint press that works. Used it on the lower strut mount. Was hoping I can leave the knuckle connected to the lower ball joint and hang the LCA and press them out. Been avoiding these 2 because of needing an alignment after.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say center of knuckle and changes with steering I am thinking CV shaft. Have you noticed any grease slinging or cracks in the boots?

Dylan Campbell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate to bring it up, and more than likely I am just paranoid since I just went through it, but who installed your Bilsteins? I was chasing a squeak for a long time and one day suddenly ride quality was awful on the front passenger side going over road seems or other bumps. Turned out the previous owner who installed the bilsteins put the infamous washer in the wrong location and the strut breached the top mount. My squeak was the strut moving in the strut mount prior to a complete breach of the mount.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate to bring it up, and more than likely I am just paranoid since I just went through it, but who installed your Bilsteins? I was chasing a squeak for a long time and one day suddenly ride quality was awful on the front passenger side going over road seems or other bumps. Turned out the previous owner who installed the bilsteins put the infamous washer in the wrong location and the strut breached the top mount. My squeak was the strut moving in the strut mount prior to a complete breach of the mount.

Just listened to the video. This is where I would start!

OP
OP
N

nicknasty22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you say center of knuckle and changes with steering I am thinking CV shaft. Have you noticed any grease slinging or cracks in the boots?
Not that was apparent while I was down there but I'll take another look after work today.

So initial set of Bilsteins were on the truck when I bought it. I then replaced them all myself last weekend. The noise is completely identical. Which infamous washer are you talking about? The piece that slips over the snap ring, I am positive is correct. At the top, does the washer go on top or below the shock mount? Because I believe I have it on top..
If I messed that up then this is crazy because I did the other side the same way and it's quiet.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not that was apparent while I was down there but I'll take another look after work today.

So initial set of Bilsteins were on the truck when I bought it. I then replaced them all myself last weekend. The noise is completely identical. Which infamous washer are you talking about? The piece that slips over the snap ring, I am positive is correct. At the top, does the washer go on top or below the shock mount? Because I believe I have it on top..
If I messed that up then this is crazy because I did the other side the same way and it's quiet.

Washer goes on below the shock mount to keep the rod from pushing through.

OP
OP
N

nicknasty22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Washer goes on below the shock mount to keep the rod from pushing through.
Interesting. The original Bilstein install had the washer on top and was quiet for 80k. So what keeps the nut from pulling through and letting the spring unload? I've never seen a nut on top of a shock mount without a washer. Crazy. I bought a stethoscope last night so I'll trying and narrow the sound down tonight and see if it's coming from the mount.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Dylan Campbell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine lasted 30K miles before I had any squeaking or issues. It is amazing how critical that tiny washer is, and agreed it feels very strange to have the nut on top of the strut sit right against the mount.