4x4 problem Ram 2013+ 8-speed 44-44 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Late build 2012 and all the way to current models with the "auto" feature will ALL suffer from this slippage. If anyone has one that doesn't, PLEASE bring it to Maine and let my dealer tear it apart and measure everything so they can make mine work. Every single one I have tried fails just like mine.

Can you elaborate a bit? Define what you mean by " fail " please? What's failing about it? Is it burning up quickly?

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They fail when they no longer engage. Mine works just fine. I could not get the rear tires to turn independent of the fronts in 4 lock or 4 low. I use 4 auto only on the highway when the roads 'may' be icy.

baydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can you elaborate a bit? Define what you mean by " fail " please? What's failing about it? Is it burning up quickly?
Geeze yillbis can you not get it? when in four lock, a transfer case should turn the front wheels and the rear wheels at exactly the same rate, not waiting for rear slip. that is a fail in itself. I have had further problems since I actually use my four wheel drive on a daily basis and have had failures in the clutches in my transfer case and in my transmission. I have been running four wheel drive half ton trucks in the exact same areas for over thirty years and this one is the only one that has got me stuck and frustrated. A fail is being stuck, or back at the dealer. I have been both multiple times. Dodge has spent many thousands of dollars on my truck doing warranty repairs. That is also a fail.
Please, please, please bring me your truck tomorrow so I can see it work as a four wheel drive is advertised. If it does, I will buy you dinner and all the beer you can drink.Then, I want my dealer to have a look at it so they can make mine work as well as yours.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Geeze yillbis can you not get it? when in four lock, a transfer case should turn the front wheels and the rear wheels at exactly the same rate, not waiting for rear slip. that is a fail in itself. I have had further problems since I actually use my four wheel drive on a daily basis and have had failures in the clutches in my transfer case and in my transmission. I have been running four wheel drive half ton trucks in the exact same areas for over thirty years and this one is the only one that has got me stuck and frustrated. A fail is being stuck, or back at the dealer. I have been both multiple times. Dodge has spent many thousands of dollars on my truck doing warranty repairs. That is also a fail.
Please, please, please bring me your truck tomorrow so I can see it work as a four wheel drive is advertised. If it does, I will buy you dinner and all the beer you can drink.Then, I want my dealer to have a look at it so they can make mine work as well as yours.

Go outside, put your truck in neutral, then put it in 4LO, then let it idle cost. Apply the breaks, does the truck stop normally, or does it feel as if it wants to keep on going? Do you feel a difference between 2wd breaking and4wd breaking when in 4lo

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Go outside, put your truck in neutral, then put it in 4LO, then let it idle cost. Apply the breaks, does the truck stop normally, or does it feel as if it wants to keep on going? Do you feel a difference between 2wd breaking and4wd breaking when in 4lo
Just being in low range will make it push more against the brakes.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes... Yes it will. It makes it really easy to stop when the front tires are on ice and the rear tires are on pavement too just as a FYI.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ahh got it, so the 4x4 system is working then, just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page :favorites13:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My God you are thick.

C'mon, that was funny....

It can't be " failing " if the transfer case is working as designed. AWD cars don't have a low range, just because the clutches are not engaging, doesn't mean it's not working. I believe it was you who compared it to an AWD car? The others who keep using terms like, failed, broke, not working, and yet, now you agree it is.

I'm not thick, I'm just right. If you want to complain about a system, then do so, but a system composes of multiple parts. Complaining about one portion of many portions because it doesn't do exactly as you defined, doesn't make it broken. It makes it " not very good " from a personal perspective, at best.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Being in 4lo will alter the gear ratio without the front wheels engaged?

Yes it will of course it will the front and the rear have to be running the same ratio. If they didn't your couldn't drive the thing it would be ripped apart.

Changing to 4 lo changes the ratio it has nothing to do with the lock.

Go put your truck in tow mode and drive compare that to tow mode off. It changes the use of the gears but does nothing to lock the axles together. Same goes for the 44-44 it does not stay locked. Therefore it does not work as it should. It was designed to be a complete pile. Drive on ice... try it and tell me that "little bit" of time to engage doesn't matter. I can't possibly believe you are defending it. I am probably the biggest Ram homer there is but when I smell **** I know it and admit it. The only way Ram will stop doing this is if we as a community and buyers of the product let them know this is not okay. You like getting bent over by a big company by all means but I for one won't hence why I read this and cringe but also keep my 09.

Last edited:

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think if they called it "4 high" then there would be a lot less confusion. This is what we were given. Either eat the **** sandwich, create a solution, or get a different truck. FCA isn't going to recall them to install 44-45 cases.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think if they called it "4 high" then there would be a lot less confusion. This is what we were given. Either eat the **** sandwich, create a solution, or get a different truck. FCA isn't going to recall them to install 44-45 cases.
All it would take is that and a description in the manual saying something about how they differ in operation and it would prevent a lot of angry people.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Sadly might be true if it was me and I liked my truck otherwise I would buy a case off car-part and I would swap it because I simply can't have 4wd that doesn't lock at least the axles together. I get it won't be true 4wd that is okay with me but not locking front and rear won't work.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes it will of course it will the front and the rear have to be running the same ratio. If they didn't your couldn't drive the thing it would be ripped apart.

Changing to 4 lo changes the ratio it has nothing to do with the lock.

Go put your truck in tow mode and drive compare that to tow mode off. It changes the use of the gears but does nothing to lock the axles together. Same goes for the 44-44 it does not stay locked. Therefore it does not work as it should. It was designed to be a complete pile. Drive on ice... try it and tell me that "little bit" of time to engage doesn't matter. I can't possibly believe you are defending it. I am probably the biggest Ram homer there is but when I smell **** I know it and admit it. The only way Ram will stop doing this is if we as a community and buyers of the product let them know this is not okay. You like getting bent over by a big company by all means but I for one won't hence why I read this and cringe but also keep my 09.

We weren't specifically discussing the " lock ", I know how 4lo works, I'm saying, the various reasons as to why the transfer case changes based on whoever is mad at it or whatever it did wrong. We're getting words like, stuck in a quarter in of water, stuck in light snow, " failing ", etc. " doesn't work ", " doesn't engage ", etc, etc, etc. The fact 4LO alters the REAR gear ratio, proves it works. It's a transfer case, it's engaging, whether or not it locks the front wheels is irrelevant, I'm pointing out a completely different thing than your discussing at this point. I was being a smartass, a "Troll" if you will :naughty:

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesn't alter the rear gears, it's a gear reduction within the transfer case, so long as we are being technical...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1381545565211400_4237631057592940345_o_zpsfjitwc5i.jpg Im glad I have the 44-45 case in my Express.I wonder if the 44-44 would give me trouble when Im plowing.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It doesn't alter the rear gears, it's a gear reduction within the transfer case, so long as we are being technical...

Point being, transfer case engages. not broke.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1381545565211400_4237631057592940345_o_zpsfjitwc5i.jpg I'm glad I have the 44-45 case in my Express.I wonder if the 44-44 would give me trouble when I'm plowing.

Of course, it would, probably better even. However, you should not be snow plowing with a 1/2 ton pickup.. even more so, one that specifically says not to. Shame on you! Hope you don't get your vin blacklisted :favorites13: