4x4 problem Ram 2013+ 8-speed 44-44 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So essentially if the 44-45 wouldn't blow the front axle, a RSG modified 44-44 wouldn't either.

It's also a good possibility BW used the same aluminum case for both the 44-44 and 44-45 so I doubt we would have to worry about the tcase blowing either.

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So essentially if the 44-45 wouldn't blow the front axle, a RSG modified 44-44 wouldn't either.

It's also a good possibility BW used the same aluminum case for both the 44-44 and 44-45 so I doubt we would have to worry about the tcase blowing either.
I think there would be bigger more serious issues if something broke that severe anyways. Unless you're into rock crawling or mud bugging, but then again I doubt one would use one of these trucks for that in the first place, without making other modifications first

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More likely to blow numerous cv's or driveshaft unjoints before hurting the tcase or front axle itself.

Today's chain driven, aluminum tcase are light years better in terms of strength and reliability compared to the first one that came out to replace the indestructible gear driven units.

Cv's, not so much but those can be upgraded if you want to spend the $$$$$$$$

And I bet the cases are the same physically since both are a available on the 1500. Wouldn't make sense to have different sizes and or configuration and have to maintain different length driveshafts and whatnot.

EDIT: IIRC, I read somewhere (maybe this same article) that the 44-45 was infact a direct swap, albeit not exactly cheap.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think there would be bigger more serious issues if something broke that severe anyways. Unless you're into rock crawling or mud bugging, but then again I doubt one would use one of these trucks for that in the first place, without making other modifications first

Exactly. I didn't spend $42k on my truck to take it mudding. I did however expect 4lock to lock.

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, here's where I'm at with RS gear now, when I asked if they had more info or literature about exactly how this kit works...

"At this time no I have replaced the clutch set up in about 60 dodge and ford for the towns and state trucks. I have exchange units for 1295.00 plus freight".

I know this is a new kit but it seems they would have SOME info on it.

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah that's an interesting answer...
Ya not sure how they have installed that many kits with no literature. Especially for the state and locals. Seems like they would be pushing these babies unless it's just a test run because it's the state.

cak446

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At least you got a reply. I've left a voicemail, and sent an email, but with no response. I will try calling again next week.

I haven't heard anyone with a Ford complaining about their 4wd. I'm guessing this transfercase is actually programmed to lock when used in the Fords?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't heard anyone with a Ford complaining about their 4wd. I'm guessing this transfercase is actually programmed to lock when used in the Fords?

Same here haven't heard of any F150 owners having this problem. I would say Ford programmed it to stay locked in 4Hi.

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At least you got a reply. I've left a voicemail, and sent an email, but with no response. I will try calling again next week.

Got another email so we contacted via phone. I guess it's the explorer or expedition (I can't remember) that had the same case. I guess there's some issues between them and BW about this whole ordeal. He told me flat out the best bet is to buy a 44-45 because it's a direct swap out and easier, and maybe cheaper. According to him the computer doesn't know the difference in the 2 cases and if you select the auto 4wd button it will just lock like the 4 lock button does. And all that is coming from a guy who has been there and done it "60 times" on both the ram and Ford. He appears to know his ****. And he also said all the electronics are a direct fit/swap.

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same here haven't heard of any F150 owners having this problem. I would say Ford programmed it to stay locked in 4Hi.
I traded my 13 f150 and that locked perfect.

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did it have an auto mode?
Now that I think about it I honestly don't remember. It was a loaded up xlt with the on demand differential lock. I want to say it didn't have it, but the guy did say it was in one of the two suv's.

EDIT: no it did not have auto mode, sorry.

cak446

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got another email so we contacted via phone. I guess it's the explorer or expedition (I can't remember) that had the same case. I guess there's some issues between them and BW about this whole ordeal. He told me flat out the best bet is to buy a 44-45 because it's a direct swap out and easier, and maybe cheaper. According to him the computer doesn't know the difference in the 2 cases and if you select the auto 4wd button it will just lock like the 4 lock button does. And all that is coming from a guy who has been there and done it "60 times" on both the ram and Ford. He appears to know his ****. And he also said all the electronics are a direct fit/swap.

Hmmm that's interesting. Swapping out cases might be the cheapest way to go then. I can get a low mile BW 44-45 transfer case from my local salvage yard for $700, swap out the t-cases myself, and then I should be able to sell the BW 44-44 t-case for at least $500. This is becoming a very viable solution, if what Rockland says about the electronics to be true....

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hmmm that's interesting. Swapping out cases might be the cheapest way to go then. I can get a low mile BW 44-45 transfer case from my local salvage yard for $700, swap out the t-cases myself, and then I should be able to sell the BW 44-44 t-case for at least $500. This is becoming a very viable solution, if what Rockland says about the electronics to be true....
In the article that was posted up a while ago they said they were direct swaps with same controls, im assuming though that either 4auto will be 4 lock and 4 lock will become 4lo and 4lo nothing or 4auto nothing and lock and lo work normally

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In the article that was posted up a while ago they said they were direct swaps with same controls, im assuming though that either 4auto will be 4 lock and 4 lock will become 4lo and 4lo nothing or 4auto nothing and lock and lo work normally
Ya he mentioned something about getting the dash controls that matched the transfer case for that reason. But according to him (from what I remember) he said that leaving those factory controls from the 44-44 would just make the 4 auto act the same as 4 lock, So you would obviously just have 2 buttons for 4 high or lock whatever you want to call it then 4 low and 2wd, but they would all be assigned the same command as the button reads. (Keep in mind I'm going off memory and I've never done it, so I may be wrong)

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya he mentioned something about getting the dash controls that matched the transfer case for that reason. But according to him (from what I remember) he said that leaving those factory controls from the 44-44 would just make the 4 auto act the same as 4 lock, So you would obviously just have 2 buttons for 4 high or lock whatever you want to call it then 4 low and 2wd, but they would all be assigned the same command as the button reads. (Keep in mind I'm going off memory and I've never done it, so I may be wrong)

Wouldn't this need a reflash also? I can't imagine it's as simple as swapping the tcase and the 4wd switch...

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wouldn't this need a reflash also? I can't imagine it's as simple as swapping the tcase and the 4wd switch...
No clue. Never mentioned anything about it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed .

I have zero 4x4 problems , I'm one of the guys who use their 4x4 often . Sometimes daily .
During deer season and winter I do use it daily !

Off season I likely use it more than most do all year.
Mine works like a champ ! Even with little to no gas pedal input , crawling or gunning in either mode works well for me.
I am fortunate.

Subscribed ...

Last edited:

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed .

I have zero 4xr problems , I'm one of the guys who use their 4x4 often . Sometimes daily .
During deer season and winter I do use it daily !

Off season I likely use it more than most do all year.

Subscribed ...
What trim level is your truck?