5.7 eTorque 12v starter provisions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
Just curious does the 5.7et have a 12v starter? I assume not. Does it have the place to put a 12v starter? how about the toothed flex plate?

I tend to keep vehicles a very long time. I am wondering if converting to a more traditional starting method would be an option if the 130ft-lb starter gen thing turns out to be unreliable long term.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I thought I'd read that it did have a smaller than normal 12v starter as a backup, but that may have been before they were actually out. Not sure if it made it to production...

-K

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The eTorque engines still use a conventional 12V starter for initially starting the engine and back up if the eTorque doesn't have the power to start the engine.

OP
OP
G

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
The eTorque engines still use a conventional 12V starter for initially starting the engine and back up if the eTorque doesn't have the power to start the engine.
That makes things easier then I guess. It also has me wondering if the battery pack is in fact a capacitor bank. Either way, leaning more and more towards the 5.7 eTourque.

My hybrid experience is with a 09 Prius that I maintain for my Father.

With the Prius, the 12 volt battery runs the computers and other traditional electrical, but does not do the starting at all. As such, they drastically undersized both the 12v battery and 12v alternator. The biggest thing is that it also runs the high voltage cooling fans after you shut off the car. Net result, if you make short trips (like the car would be seemingly ideally suited for), you kill the 12 volt battery. 12v battery replacement has been needed every 3 years, and is a real pain on that car. They put the battery in the truck, that opens electronically... Glad I found the jumper posts before the 2nd one died.

Last edited: