5W with rambox?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I was looking at specing a 2500 out and the 5W prep package isn't available with Ram Box? is that correct or did I read that wrong? if you get Ram Box, can you not have a 5W? Thanks.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
The Ram Box is narrower than the standard bed, the Ram 5th wheel puck/prep utilizes points on the frame where they attach. The Ram Box being narrower, the inner sides of the bed would sit over the frame where the pucks go. You might be able to use an above the bed 5th wheel rail setup and a 5th wheel hitch.

I read a link over at 5thgen.com forums or the diesel forum that someone had a write up for the Ram Box and a 5th wheel hitch.

OP
OP
rblochli

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thanks, I’ll check that out. I didn’t look to me that the ram box made the bed too narrow as it basically just covers the wheel wells. But there must be something to it.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I've never had a 5th wheel, but have been researching them recently. As mentioned above the boxes are probably over some of the frame/mounting points for the under bed 5th prep wheel framing. Another thing that I would be concerned about is, that I have seen that people have clearance issues for the pinbox (I think that is the term) clearing the bed side when making hard turns. With the bed side being even closer on a rambox, you might have a real problem.

I watched some videos about sliding hitches and people doing 90 deg maneuvers... you could see where the hitch/framing on the 5th wheel can come in contact with the bed side.

OP
OP
rblochli

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
From what I’ve read it looks doable, sounds like a pin box between 20-25” would work or a Reese sidewinder. I’m in the early stages so I’ll be doing a lot more reading. Looks like you could have ordered the 5W prep with Rambox prior to 2017, doesn’t look like they cover the puck locations, but the narrower box would interfere with the swing with a deeper pinbox. Thanks again.

Fritoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 2016 2500 with ram boxes. Factory puck system was never an option as far as I know. I installed the pucks last year and it's easy. No clearance problems. The only way to turn when you go with the rambox truck is to get a 5th wheel that uses the locking 5th wheel wedge and the pin box turns at the top of the pin box. then you don't need a sliding plate because there is plenty of clearance. I am pulling a 2019 Forest River. The pinbox can be setup either as the standard way or have the pivot at the top of the pin box. I even moved my B&W 5th wheel hitch to the forward position because I had the room to do it.

OP
OP
rblochli

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thanks

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might run into a problem when you turn a corner. The trailer pin box may hit the Ram boxes as the pin box needs a certain unobstructed radius.