6.4 HEMI - Aftermarket Muffler for Old Man

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Next on my upgrade list is lower exhaust restriction, starting with the lower cost items.

Visual inspection of my truck looks like Ram did a pretty good job routing and sizing (compared to a four letter brand I won't mention, that my son just got done retrofitting). It's got nice big 3-1/2" dia. piping, few bends, generous radii on those bends, and a big volume muffler.

We all know the muffler is kind of a Frankenstein - with a flapper valve when MDS is activated, to damp the weird V4 Evinrude sound (along with the resonator). So, I'm thinking that has to go. Ideally, I don't see a need to toss out all the piping with the muffler, unless it's easier to install a muffler with pipes.

Ram removed the MDS idiot light in the dash (I had one on my old 1500 - 2012 MY). But I also could really hear MDS in my old truck - and I can't hear it at all in my new HD truck, so either it never kicks in, or they did such a good job damping the MDS I can't hear it. Either way, I turn off MDS now with my tuner.

So - I think my ideal solution is a muffler swap. Not looking for fancy aesthetics, etc. Not interested in a "dude" blaster muffler, nor a geezer Cadillac quiet muffler. Don't want drone. A big block type rumble is good for me. Needs to be a quality SS muffler - lifetime.

I've read a bunch of exhaust threads here. Many say the "performance" types are too loud. Ideally I'd like what is called a "touring" type straight through muffler, I think.

Ok, nick@gotexhaust (et. al.) - go!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I put in a Magnaflow 3" single in/single out muffler & removed the resonator (gawd awful ugly thing sticking out behind the passenger side rear wheel) and I liked the sound.

Here's some pics and a vid:

14 19.jpg

14 21.JPG

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks for the pic's & vid, MADDOG.

Pretty cool sounding Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel ya got there! (dad joke) Didn't sound too loud?

I wrote Magnaflow. They suggested these two. Is the 12909 oval one what you had?
I planned to just leave the resonator. Anything to help reduce highway drone is good. Don't care what it looks like under the sidewalls.

upload_2020-12-29_13-1-5.png
upload_2020-12-29_13-2-13.png

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic's & vid, MADDOG.

Pretty cool sounding Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel ya got there! (dad joke) Didn't sound too loud?

I wrote Magnaflow. They suggested these two. Is the 12909 oval one what you had?
I planned to just leave the resonator. Anything to help reduce highway drone is good. Don't care what it looks like under the sidewalls.

Yeah...I believe it was the 12909. I remember it being 3" and offset/offset.

My Cummins was loud after the delete as all I had was a straight piped exhaust. I since added a Corsa 4" dB Performance Series muffler and it sounds just right. :)

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Can you tell a performance difference?

With just the exhaust done there wasn't much of an improvement. It was the first mod I did though as I planned out what I wanted to do with the truck for a performance increase.

Once I had added the S&B cold air intake, the programmer and the custom tune that's when that truck really performed well. The freer flow exhaust was part of the improvement in performance but on it's own it isn't a big change at all.

You need a system of intake, exhaust & fuel/spark management all working together to really make a difference.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Did some more research. Borla and Corsa don't have loose muffler to swap.

Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Solo have some. I have no idea which might be better with all the vague marketing blather and video recordings. Below are published differences. Comments?

Solo - Mach 82, close fit, straight through perf tube (angled), rock wool & glass batting, 409 S.S., polished. $198.26
https://shop-solo-performance.com/en/mach-muffler-series/1618-mach-82.html

Flowmaster - 50 Series Heavy Duty, welded chamber baffles, no batting, 409 S.S., painted. $189.95
https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/mufflers/street_chambered_mufflers/50_series_hd/parts/953558
(Note: short body, requires shim piping)
Flowmaster - 50 Series Big Block ...sim to Heavy Duty, except quieter, no shim pipe needed, but only available in painted aluminized steel. $199.95
https://www.holley.com/products/exh...ered_mufflers/50_series_big_block/parts/53553

Magnflow - 12909, close fit, straight through perf tube (angled), glass batting, 409 S.S., polished. $165
https://www.magnaflow.com/products/...eroffset-straight-through-performance-muffler

The Flowmaster people said acoustic batting is a 50 yr old 1st attempt at sound reduction that gets wet and loses attenuation, making those types of mufflers louder over time (Solo & Magnaflow). Muffler price is similar. Solo needs shim pipe. Flowmaster 50BB is closest to what I want, but not offered in S.S.

Which is best choice?

Last edited:

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I went with the Solo Mach 82. Very Nice quality built. Good sound and no Drone. All that was needed was a Seal clamp and Short piece of SS 3.5" pipe.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The Flowmaster people said acoustic batting is a 50 yr old 1st attempt at sound reduction that gets wet and loses attenuation, making those types of mufflers louder over time (Solo & Magnaflow). Muffler price is similar. Solo needs shim pipe. Flowmaster 50BB is closest to what I want, but not offered in S.S.

In this regard the Flowmaster people are correct. In my experience with the 19200 kit the muffler gets significantly louder over time. To the point of sounding overly aggressive for us old men. And that was even without the headers.

It does appear my kit uses the 12909 muffler, but FYI it's a 3.5" (not 3") center inlet/offset outlet.

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/...eroffset-straight-through-performance-muffler

I'm about to give up on finding a quieter stainless replacement and just try either the Flowmaster RV muffler or something like this.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-2559

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Next on my upgrade list is lower exhaust restriction, starting with the lower cost items.

Visual inspection of my truck looks like Ram did a pretty good job routing and sizing (compared to a four letter brand I won't mention, that my son just got done retrofitting). It's got nice big 3-1/2" dia. piping, few bends, generous radii on those bends, and a big volume muffler.

We all know the muffler is kind of a Frankenstein - with a flapper valve when MDS is activated, to damp the weird V4 Evinrude sound (along with the resonator). So, I'm thinking that has to go. Ideally, I don't see a need to toss out all the piping with the muffler, unless it's easier to install a muffler with pipes.

Ram removed the MDS idiot light in the dash (I had one on my old 1500 - 2012 MY). But I also could really hear MDS in my old truck - and I can't hear it at all in my new HD truck, so either it never kicks in, or they did such a good job damping the MDS I can't hear it. Either way, I turn off MDS now with my tuner.

So - I think my ideal solution is a muffler swap. Not looking for fancy aesthetics, etc. Not interested in a "dude" blaster muffler, nor a geezer Cadillac quiet muffler. Don't want drone. A big block type rumble is good for me. Needs to be a quality SS muffler - lifetime.

I've read a bunch of exhaust threads here. Many say the "performance" types are too loud. Ideally I'd like what is called a "touring" type straight through muffler, I think.

Ok, nick@gotexhaust (et. al.) - go!

You can just cut the flapper out. I know on a 5.7, the 6.4 muffler in stock form is significantly quieter than the stock 5.7 muffler - but I didn't try it with the flap removed.
I ended up staying with the 5.7 muffler and 6.4 tailpipe.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went with the Solo Mach 82. Very Nice quality built. Good sound and no Drone. All that was needed was a Seal clamp and Short piece of SS 3.5" pipe.

The Solo is an interesting option, hadn't seen that one before. Still a bit weary of straight through designs after the MF but appreciate your feedback. How is the noise level when cruising?

I was doing some other reading and looks like you have the same 19200 kit and just replaced your MF muffler with the Solo. How would you compare the two for sound/noise level?

Last edited:
OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks all.

If I take off the OEM muffler, might as well put on an aftermarket instead of futzing with the OEM. My previous truck was a 5.7, and I know it rumbled louder. I don't know why - I suspect they opened it up for power? Was suprised they made the 6.4 the quieter muffler.

I'm looking at the FlowerMaster Big Block Muffler, but they don't offer in S.S. Plan to call them and see if I can talk them into it.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There was a Big difference in sound. Mach 82 was a much deeper and smoother sound. The Magnaflow was much noisier. Even my Neighbor noticed the difference when I fired it up at 4:30 every morning.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yep - Magnaflow is in the "dude" muffler realm - make a lot of noise to annoy others & draw attention to yourself, regardless of performance benefit. Not for old guys anymore.

I'm going either with Solo Mach 82 or Flowmaster Big Block (if I can get in SS). Still evaluating. Frequent snow & cold here is slowing me down.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I tow all the time, and the thought of "drone" has kept me away from an aftermarket muffler. I do want one though.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The previous owner of my 2016 put on a 18" Flowmaster, not sure which one, but for the first week I thought it just had the stock muffler on it since its pretty tame. With the windows up the only time I really hear it is when pulling our camper. Even with the windows rolled down its pretty quiet I think. It does sound amazing though on a cold start when its in the pole shed.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yep - I'm not dead yet (as far as I can tell), so I like SOME rumble. Just not loud blasting, is all. I think us older guys are mostly saying the same thing.

That brings us to the two conclusions.......Solo Mach 82 or Flowmaster Big Block. I know the stock muffler is opposite side I/O (I looked at it), but haven't measured yet due to cold & snow.

Stock muffler also has at least one hanger rod welded to it, so whichever aftermarket is selected will need modification, as they're both universal type. Solo Mach 82 for sure will need cut straight pipe added.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
The previous owner of my 2016 put on a 18" Flowmaster, not sure which one, but for the first week I thought it just had the stock muffler on it since its pretty tame. With the windows up the only time I really hear it is when pulling our camper. Even with the windows rolled down its pretty quiet I think. It does sound amazing though on a cold start when its in the pole shed.
Had that muffler on my 1500, and even it was too loud on occasion

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had that muffler on my 1500, and even it was too loud on occasion
Did you have dual exhaust on your 1500? Everything on mine is stock besides the muffler and I think its really quiet besides on first startup when you're outside the truck.