8.4” RA4 Upgrade Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeezerOlds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking for some time and following along with the great instructions over in https://www.ramforum.com/threads/diy-2013-2017-ra3-ra4-8-4-radio-upgrade-hvac-conversion.135601/.

I’m upgrading from the RA2 in a 2016 to an RA4 I got from eBay. I got all the necessary parts and made my own harness based on the pinouts shown in that thread. When I got everything together I didn’t get any display on the radio at all when I started the truck. No sound either, like the radio wasn’t getting power at all. When I swapped back to my old RA2 everything worked fine. I went back and forth between the 2 radios several times, always ensuring the connections were solid and always getting the same result. I chalked it up to a bad radio from eBay (I did get a bad/water damaged single zone bezel as well but that’s a different story).

My wife has a 2014 Cherokee with the RA3 system in it. I decided for kicks that I’d try the RA4 in her vehicle before I went through the trouble of a return, and what do ya know but it worked immediately. Figured I’d try the RA4 in my truck one last time so I put her original radio back in her vehicle and now it’s behaving the exact same way the RA4 did in my truck. Just a blank screen, no audio, no controls, like it’s not getting power. Several angry swaps and curse words later and now it seems like only the RA4 works in her Jeep, not her original radio.

That would be fine, except the RA4 isn’t giving the option for ATC or dual zone control, both of which her vehicle came with from the factory. The hot/cold up and down arrows on either side of the bezel don’t do anything and the only way to control the (now single zone MTC) temp is via the slider on the radio touchscreen. Everything else including heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc all works fine from the radio.

Does anyone know what I’m missing when hooking these radios up, why they don’t appear to be getting power? Ideally I’d like to get the RA4 working in my truck andnput her original radio back into her Jeep so she gets the dual zone ATC feature back. But at the very least I’d like to re-enable that feature for her and put her RA3 in my truck (which I haven’t attempted yet).

Thanks very much!

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can you put the original radio back into the Jeep and pull the Negative on battery and leave off for 10 mins and then re connect battery and see if any improvements ?

OP
OP
G

GeezerOlds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to get the multi-zone ATC on the RA4 working in my wife’s Jeep. I found some info buried deep in the AlfaODB thread that mentioned running the Proxi Configuration after any change on the Cherokees. The way I understand it is it’s a setting in the BCM config that the Rams don’t have that basically pushes the vehicle configuration from the BCM to all attached nodes. I ran that and after letting the vehicle sleep a few minutes the RA4 works like it should in her Jeep. To top that off her odometer no longer flashes, which was happening before the radio swap occurred.

Later this weekend I may try her old RA3 in my truck along with pulling the negative battery like you mentioned if it behaves the same way.

Thanks!

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you still have issues you can possibly try and a rf hub reset on your truck
But you would need your 4 digit pin for the rf hub

Abnsapper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2015, 2018
Engine
Hey, maybe someone can give me better instructions, but I have tried to get the Chrysler Pin Puller app to work. I can download it onto my phone, but when I try to purchase tokens so I can have enough tokens to pull my pin number the app will not respond to touch regarding the amount of tokens you want to purchase. I have restarted my phone, reloaded the app, done everything I can think of doing, yet, the same thing always occurs. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you go about fixing the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn