8 speed ZF tranny fluid/filter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnny bullington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I recently just changed my 2015 ram hemi 1500 express transmission fluid and filter. I was able to get 5 1/2 quarts back in it. I’m just nervous that I didn’t get enough fluid into this thing. Has anybody had any similar volumes of fluid put back in their’s? Also what is proper operating temp for tranny?

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I assume you did a pain replacement? The 8 speed likes to run hot around 180.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@Wild one Has posted instructions around here somewhere that came with his replacement 8 speed. You have to get the tranny perfectly level and then follow an overly complicated German designed fill/level procedure to get it back to full.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I recently just changed my 2015 ram hemi 1500 express transmission fluid and filter. I was able to get 5 1/2 quarts back in it. I’m just nervous that I didn’t get enough fluid into this thing. Has anybody had any similar volumes of fluid put back in their’s? Also what is proper operating temp for tranny?

Hi Johnny,if you jacked it up till the pan rail was level you're good to go.You're about right on the amount,my PPE pan took about 7.5 quarts to fill,and it's a couple quarts bigger then the stock pan is.If you followed the instructions I gave you yesterday,you got it,lol
Rick

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you look at Boosted's video, that's about the amount he was able to get back in, although he doesn't mention anything
about the pan leveling that they call for in Wild ones instructions from the manufacturer....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You guys should get a sticky for checking 8 speed fluid and service. WildOne has athread already?

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Hi Johnny,if you jacked it up till the pan rail was level you're good to go.You're about right on the amount,my PPE pan took about 7.5 quarts to fill,and it's a couple quarts bigger then the stock pan is.If you followed the instructions I gave you yesterday,you got it,lol
Rick

forgive me for the dumb question....but what do you mean by pan rail? can i just check level (f to r and l to r) with a 2 foot level on the pan itself and be good to go (with rear tires off ground for the driving portion)?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
forgive me for the dumb question....but what do you mean by pan rail? can i just check level (f to r and l to r) with a 2 foot level on the pan itself and be good to go (with rear tires off ground for the driving portion)?

He's referring to the lip around the pan where it mates to the transmission itself. You basically want to ensure that the transmission itself, as measured at the mating surface(largest perfectly flat plane on the transmission), is level.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
He's referring to the lip around the pan where it mates to the transmission itself. You basically want to ensure that the transmission itself, as measured at the mating surface(largest perfectly flat plane on the transmission), is level.

thank you

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys should get a sticky for checking 8 speed fluid and service. WildOne has athread already?
Don't know if he actually has a thread or not, I've just seen him mention his new 8hp70 and the instructions he got with
it a few times on the forum now....

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
Changed the tranny pan/fluid and transfer case fluid on my ‘16 Longhorn yesterday. 5.7 Hemi, 4x4. All fluids in the truck are Redline now. Did the differentials at Christmas time last year. Transfer case and differentials are easy. Tranny not so much.

Gotta love what the Chrysler engineers did (again) with the crossover pipe. Blocks the drain plug on the trannny pan, blocks a bolt on the side of the pan and makes getting to the fill plug a total PIA. I have a nice burn on my left arm to prove it. These are the things the YouTube videos don’t show you.

Truck had 66K miles on it at this change. Glad I did it now. Lots of gunk and grey metal on the magnets. Fluid was very dark. I don’t drive my truck hard other than an occasional WOT. I don’t tow although we are going to be pulling a small Travel Trailer. Truck shifts much better now.

Just my opinion but ZF is spot on with their service requirements. Chrysler is a bunch of BS with their lifetime fluid recommendation.

So a couple of tips:
1) Wrap the crossover and exhaust pipes by the tranny with soaking wet towels to absorb the heat when having to fill the tranny with the truck running. This will save you from burning your arm.
2) Buy a decent garden sprayer and modify it to pump the fluid in to the trans. Have a helper slowly pump while you are underneath filling and replacing fill bolt etc. You have enough to do under the truck. Ask for help.
3) The fill plug is VERY tight when first cracked. I had to use a pipe on the end of my ratchet to loosen. No reason for it to be so tight.
4) Do not attempt this at 10AM when you are taking the wife to lunch at noon. Leave your self plenty of time. 3bb04d297bc38e70faa6215dd0887558.jpg

647ccaf9eab8390bc09515cacf17a404.jpg
b2c15f83cfe05170d4bc57befcff58e1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Changed the tranny pan/fluid and transfer case fluid on my ‘16 Longhorn yesterday.

Nice work!

The garden sprayer is a wonderful tool. I've used it for ATF and gear oil even. The gear oil moves a bit slow, but it works.

What pan kit did you use? I see them online for as little as $30 shipped. Bolts and everything.

I know this thread is ancient, but in regards to the OP's question. If 5.5qts is what came out of it with the pan drop, it's safe to say 5.5qts going back in is going to be fine.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
Nice work!

The garden sprayer is a wonderful tool. I've used it for ATF and gear oil even. The gear oil moves a bit slow, but it works.

What pan kit did you use? I see them online for as little as $30 shipped. Bolts and everything.

I know this thread is ancient, but in regards to the OP's question. If 5.5qts is what came out of it with the pan drop, it's safe to say 5.5qts going back in is going to be fine.

ATP B-453 Automatic Transmission Oil Pan/Integrated Filter
Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
$109.99

I filled the 1 gal garden sprayer twice and it still has a couple of quarts in it. So about 6 (5 1/2?) quarts. I had a lot drip out of the pan as I was burning myself..... :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the link on that pan kit! It's funny how these pans are listed. The 8hp45 (pentastar ZF8) and the 8hp70 use the exact same part number pan, but the 45's can be found way cheaper. If you search for "hemi 8spd pan kit" or or anything Ram or Jeep, the price goes up 3x. LOL.

Here's an example of a $30 pan kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/68233701AA...rentrq:1d7ff9211750a9c45a3b8a29ffd8d9d0|iid:2

That is a GREAT idea on wrapping that x-over pipe right under the trans pan with wet rags or a towel! That stupid pipe makes the pan drain plug pretty worthless on most Hemi powered 8spds like you say. Thankfully the pan can be pulled with that pipe in place.

It's a shame FCA couldn't follow how the exhaust is routed from the Pentastar powered Ram 1500s. Nice equal length pipes that run along either side of the trans on those. Clearance galore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat