8hp70 heater bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
If you only remove the heater lines and leave the tstat then it’ll just take longer but it’ll still get over 180° as that’s the Tstat temp. Without removing the tstat and blocking secondary passage to limit flow only to the cooler then temps will eventually reach normal temps. By blocking the actual heater passage as the rev max kit does to limit oil flow only to the cooler you will have lower temps because 100% of the oil gets cooled.
After I finally installed Jessie's part I thought about getting rid of that 3 way hoses. I thought something looked weird when I changed the T-state. lol

I didn't know there was a line to warm up the oil too. Wild one told me that.

Was thinking it might run a little cooler but there's really no point with Jessie's part. Warming the truck up faster really is not a big deal to me especially in the winter time as long as it runs cool when it gets up to temp I'm good.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After I finally installed Jessie's part I thought about getting rid of that 3 way hoses. I thought something looked weird when I changed the T-state. lol

I didn't know there was a line to warm up the oil too. Wild one told me that.

Was thinking it might run a little cooler but there's really no point with Jessie's part. Warming the truck up faster really is not a big deal to me especially in the winter time as long as it runs cool when it gets up to temp I'm good.
It doesn’t affect you anymore as the oil does not even touch that heater assembly anymore. Jessie’s part and the rev max kit both block the port for oil to flow to the heater. I removed mine completely just for the ease of future work.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
lol Seabrook Texas temps there :)
Just west of here they hit 49.6C or roughly 121F,hottest temps ever recorded in Canada.You guys can have it back,lol. I love summer but thats a little to much summer for me,lol. Northern Alberta is really suffering,they've been suffering under an extreme heat warning for several weeks now. I normally go drag racing on Fridays in Edmonton,but decided not today,as they're sitting at 32C,roughly 90F /humidex puts them at 35C,so the DA at the track will be well over 5,000ft,and you aren't gonna run any decent numbers in those conditions,plus the fact we're only at 27C/80F down here,lol

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesn’t affect you anymore as the oil does not even touch that heater assembly anymore. Jessie’s part and the rev max kit both block the port for oil to flow to the heater. I removed mine completely just for the ease of future work.

Good point...I'm happy for now.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just west of here they hit 49.6C or roughly 121F,hottest temps ever recorded in Canada.You guys can have it back,lol. I love summer but thats a little to much summer for me,lol. Northern Alberta is really suffering,they've been suffering under an extreme heat warning for several weeks now. I normally go drag racing on Fridays in Edmonton,but decided not today,as they're sitting at 32C,roughly 90F /humidex puts them at 35C,so the DA at the track will be well over 5,000ft,and you aren't gonna run any decent numbers in those conditions,plus the fact we're only at 27C/80F down here,lol

That's pretty damn hot. We don't get that hot, usually mid to upper 90s but with super high humidity that will sweat at night just standing outside.

This summer thought has been wet. It's rained almost every day here for over a month which is keeping the temps down but shiit on it trying to keep my truck clean. lol

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip

wooo thats hot for you guys!! hopefully it will be over soon- it's 89F here right now! yea my truck is noticeably faster in cool weather also we are at sea level so that help a lot too. i will say it rarely gets over 100 here because of the humidity. it is 5-10 degrees cooler in seabrook vs houston most of the time Houston is 97/8 and we'll be 89/90 and it is a very noticeable difference.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, any tips on getting the thermostat out...lubed it up with wd-40, been trying to work it, but haven't had any success...

Edit
Well.....got the sucker out and the fluid that followed did not seem like a couple ounces...to the point I'm now a bit concerned about the potential loss of fluid in the transmission.

Last edited:

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welp, just shot my snap ring into orbit...wasn't having any success getting the thermostat out and was going to give up and put the snap ring back in...

Anyone know the size of the snap ring?

Edit
Happy Dance!

Decided to try my luck and started foraging in a bush in the direction on launch and dumb luck found it!
B56B44B8-1BAF-418A-90AF-E7DCB95D2A07.jpeg
Going to by a lotto ticket now.

Orrr get back to trying to wiggle this thermostat out.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Happy Dance!

Decided to try my luck and started foraging in a bush in the direction on launch and dumb luck found it!
View attachment 464442
Going to by a lotto ticket now.

Orrr get back to trying to wiggle this thermostat out.
What if you try using super glue or some kind of plastic epoxy to glue something to the plug to give you something easier to grab on to. Plastic epoxy would be my first choice as I’m not sure how well super glue will adhere to that plug. Or if you can drill a small hole in the nub and put a small screw in it.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What if you try using super glue or some kind of plastic epoxy to glue something to the plug to give you something easier to grab on to. Plastic epoxy would be my first choice as I’m not sure how well super glue will adhere to that plug. Or if you can drill a small hole in the nub and put a small screw in it.
I ended up getting it out, more so ejecting it out followed by what seemed like a geyser of fluid. Certainly didn't seem like a few ounces.

Wondering if I should follow the fill procedure to check the level...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I ended up getting it out, more so ejecting it out followed by what seemed like a geyser of fluid. Certainly didn't seem like a few ounces.

Wondering if I should follow the fill procedure to check the level...
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check the fluid level if you lost a fair bit of fluid. To save you having to go digging for the instructions here they are.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 20

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you have the blocking plate installed and the bypass modification?
I installed both parts that came with the kit, yes. The instructions are pretty crappy, but i just pulled the entire stock thermostat assembly and installed the brass piece they sent.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, any tips on getting the thermostat out...lubed it up with wd-40, been trying to work it, but haven't had any success...

Edit
Well.....got the sucker out and the fluid that followed did not seem like a couple ounces...to the point I'm now a bit concerned about the potential loss of fluid in the transmission.

lol

Yeah, mine was a little tough to get out too. Spraying PB blaster helped and using flat nose pliers not needle nose made a difference. Just have to wiggle it back and forth from what another member told me.

I too was a little shocked with how much fluid came out, I eventually plugged it with some paper towels. I was a little worried but I've been driving two weeks with the by pass installed and the trans seems fine.

I do plan on doing a trans fluid change soon.

Last edited:

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lol

Yeah, mind was a little tough to get out too. Spraying PB blaster helped and using flat nose pliers not needle nose made a difference. Just have to wiggle it back and forth from what another member told me.

I too was a little shocked with how much fluid came out, I eventually plugged it with some paper towels. I was a little worried but I've been driving two weeks with the by pass installed and the trans seems fine.

I do plan on doing a trans fluid change soon.
Maybe then what I loss was comparable to everyone else. Guess I'll drive it a bit easy make sure everything is buttoned up and no leaks.

Still going to source some fluid and go through the fill procedure just to be sure. The fluid only has 20k miles on it, so I'll just top off if necessary.

dc435911

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. With just the heater lines removed from the transmission heater the trucks transmission only got to 140F after 30mins of interstate driving to work. As fter much looking there's only a very small amount of cooler stats that operate under 180f so I may leave that function in. Still going to remove the heater block and replumb but leave the stat in.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the responses guys. With just the heater lines removed from the transmission heater the trucks transmission only got to 140F after 30mins of interstate driving to work. As fter much looking there's only a very small amount of cooler stats that operate under 180f so I may leave that function in. Still going to remove the heater block and replumb but leave the stat in.
If you remove the actual heater block you will need to remove the tstat from the stock housing as well otherwise it leaves a restriction in the oil flow and will block oil to the transmission since the cooler would be the only path of flow and the tstat is blocking that hole.

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What was your local price? I haven't stopped locally yet, but I've spent time looking online and it seems just as easy to get the Mopar fluid vs getting the ZF Lifeguard 8 online. Seems the best you can do online is $20/qt