8HP70 Transmission Pan Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AFMoulton

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looking at pictures of this pan on PPE's site it looks like theres a step built into the pan for clearance of the exhaust crossover pipe. I don't think there will be a problem with clearance...

So Shawn from MoparEcodiesel did it. He found a way to bypass the TBV in the transmission, but he never posted about it. Damnit, how I would love to pick his brain now.

May He Rest In Peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Does any of you know where the dash temp for the trans is located? Where is this TI reading from?

After the cooler or directly out of the trans to the cooler?

Yes my HD trans cooler install was not well thought out. But if the TI is coming from directly out of the trans my HD cooler probably is doing some good.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the RFE trans it is located on top of the valve body in the center of the transmission, on the 8 speed I don't know. I would imagine its similar...

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Then I have to tend with this ridiculously stupid coolant/ATF heat exchanger that Chrysler installed NOT ZF!
I'm sure the coolant is heating the ZF ATF @ every pass as it enters the trans from the coolers.

My only chance of lowering my ATF fluid all rolls around to a Tuner to make adjustments for a 180*F T-Stat. Cooler Coolant = Cooler ATF!
I would have instant Wood & be thrilled with constant 188*F ATF temp.

But it is what it is.
I love this 8speed but its operational design aggravates me!

My 8HP70 did Not come with the Factory HD Transmission cooler so there is no inline 160*F By-Pass in my system. Thus the reason why my Temps run from 190-212*F.

Sorry! I apologize back to Pan Discussion!

Last edited:

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just saw a video (https://youtu.be/Fm8L7C9uE5I) that demonstrated how to fix an ATF leak on the 8-speed transmissions. the ATF heater and it’s incorporated thermal bypass valve is bolted to the side of the trans.
As I suspected there are two, approx 1.5” long o-ring sealed tubes, which looked to be about 5/8” in diameter that slip into the trans, and also into the back of the heater itself. The tubes easily are removed as they have an o-ring on each end. Engine coolant comes in to the top of the heater, and exits there, and the output and input connections to the ATF cooler are also on the top. The problem is how to couple the o-ringed tubes to some kind of connection to the ATF cooler lines, and completely remove/bypass the thermal bypass valve and ATF heater. As I’m sure this plumbing is all metric, sourcing the needed hardware would be “sporting”. A complicated operation needing some special fittings, and or a custom machined "manifold" that would accept the o-ringed tubes from the transmission, with drilled/tapped ports for the ATF lines going to the cooler. Clearly fabrication involved.
The two coolant lines could be simply connected to each other it appears.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So Shawn from MoparEcodiesel did it. He found a way to bypass the TBV in the transmission, but he never posted about it. Damnit, how I would love to pick his brain now.

May He Rest In Peace

Isn't he the same guy who blew his truck up twice?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AFMoulton

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
He had over 109,000 miles on a first gen EcoD when it failed. I don't think he blew it up, I think he worked his truck.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
He had over 109,000 miles on a first gen EcoD when it failed. I don't think he blew it up, I think he worked his truck.

He worked it alright, overloaded it on a constant basis and tried all sorts of gimmicks and such to help "improve" the transmission and engine and it didn't turn out so well.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

I don't think the engine failed completely. At 109K is when the timing slipped slightly, that was actually fixed. I thought I remember reading he was using a water/methanol injection when the timing slipped occurred.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brendo99