Adaptive cruise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone found a setting to calm down acc. My wifes much older car is very smooth. The truck is almost not worth it. Very aggressive both accelerating and stopping. IT Never seems to just coast always brakes or gas no in between. I'm certain it's doing both brakes and gas and can smell the brakes if it's used in anything but perfect scenarios.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
AFAIK, there are no user adjustable settings for the Adaptive Cruise besides the follow distance. My experience though is very different. I was surprised as how smooth it seemed on braking but I wish it was more aggressive on the accelerator as I often just override it on take off from a stop at traffic lights because it accelerates so slow until about 20 MPH.

Full disclosure, this is the only vehicle I have ever driven with ACC. I would recommend test driving another one to see if it reacts the same. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TimboRam77

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AFAIK, there are no user adjustable settings for the Adaptive Cruise besides the follow distance. My experience though is very different. I was surprised as how smooth it seemed on braking but I wish it was more aggressive on the accelerator as I often just override it on take off from a stop at traffic lights because it accelerates so slow until about 20 MPH.

Full disclosure, this is the only vehicle I have ever driven with ACC. I would recommend test driving another one to see if it reacts the same. Good luck.

Wow
Very informative.
Your description is exactly as my wifes Nissan drives. There is something going on with my truck for sure. It snaps your neck and has bo slack in traffic. Like it's had way too much coffee. I'll have it checked out on my next maintenance visit. Maintenance visits becoming a monthly thing.

Thanks

Anybody else please jump in referance your experience.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
The descriptions seem to apply to using cruise control in places other than limited access highways. If traffic is heavy enough to trigger the actions described, it seems that you're asking cruise control to stand in for a self-driving vehicle, so you're using it "off label."

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
The descriptions seem to apply to using cruise control in places other than limited access highways. If traffic is heavy enough to trigger the actions described, it seems that you're asking cruise control to stand in for a self-driving vehicle, so you're using it "off label."

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] You are correct. I turn on ACC every chance I get and love it.

OP
OP
TimboRam77

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Incorrect

It is not working properly.
It should not be activating brakes and gas at the same time. Same traffic in the Nissan is flawless.

Max Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Use my adaptive every time I am on the interstate, which is multiple times weekly. Works great. I usually do not know it has slowed until I check my speed and notice I am going slower than where I set the cruise at. Change lanes and you can feel the truck accelerate to the set speed but nothing drastic.
On the other hand, if one of the drivers, who have to be in front all the time, speed past me and then think it is ok to pull in front of me leaving a 12 inch gap between us, my truck screams at me and puts the brakes on quickly. First time for that was exciting, almost to the point of wetting myself. Has happen one other time but I was prepared for the truck's reaction. Love adaptive cruise control.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
So, just my experience with ACC and not with the RAM ACC so apologize if I'm not helpful. My wife's MDX has it and I only use it on the highway when the traffic is light, because it is pretty jerky. It's even had a recall to fix some of that but still that way. (My sister said her Lexus is the same) If you're just putzing along and the person in front of you slows down or speeds up, it works great and will pace them pretty good, however if someone pulls in front of you into the buffer zone, it jams on the brakes and wants to get to its pre-programmed distance like right now! Conversely, if the car in front of me is going slow, and then pulls out of the way, the MDX will accelerate faster than what I feel is reasonable to get back to it's set speed. I use the Lane Departure warning all the time, but the ACC only if the circumstances are ideal.

OP
OP
TimboRam77

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update, got the flash of the month. I'm no longer smelling my brakes roast or do I feel the acceleration at the same time as braking. Wife also made the statement that my truck seems to be off the caffeine.
Working much better since the updated flash. Those who wait for the 2020 model should avoid these new vehicle pains. I took it in because the air suspension would not stop adjusting while off and parked. It was running the battery flat and the truck would not start. Happened several times. Hope that is fixed also.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
however if someone pulls in front of you into the buffer zone, it jams on the brakes and wants to get to its pre-programmed distance like right now!

I'd be very worried in this scenario of getting rear ended, especially with the lack of attention most people have while driving.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My ACC works as well as any I have ever had. I first had it on a 2004 Infiniti Q45 adn several cars since including a MB S550. I prefer my truck ACC over the MB.