Adding DRL’s with AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Wrong... my parks still turn white with my fogs set as the drls ....this is actually very strange now because I can not duplicate it on my buddies 2017....

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Odd. So with the headlight switch set to auto, truck in drive both your fogs and parking lights come on?

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Odd. So with the headlight switch set to auto, truck in drive both your fogs and parking lights come on?

Yeah dude .... im scratching my head now because my buddy got me the switchbacks because I ser him up so he could have leds on his headlights and all around actually but they don't work like on mine...lol

I am going to take a look at all the led and hid settings to see if anything is different... im really tripping out now

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yeah dude .... im scratching my head now because my buddy got me the switchbacks because I ser him up so he could have leds on his headlights and all around actually but they don't work like on mine...lol

I am going to take a look at all the led and hid settings to see if anything is different... im really tripping out now

Hmm interesting. Either you had a glitch in the programming (check your data log and look for drl location) or (if you bought the truck used) that the previous owner did some creative wiring

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is getting way too confusing now Lol

I have LEDs everywhere on mine and switchbacks for the blinker/park bulbs (yellow for blinker white for park)

Now I can set the blinkers as DRL in Alfa and will have yellow blinkers on for DRL's (being the yellow side of the switchback bulb)
Park lights (the white side of the switchbacks) is not a option in Alfa for DRL's so that can't be set.
I can also set fogs, low, and high beams as DRL's and they work as they should (still no park lights with any of those which I wouldn't expect them to be on)

Now if I turn my headlights "on" for any reason I get the white park lights from the switchbacks which is to be expected and how the truck normally works (stock truck would be yellow parks with headlights on)

What I don't understand is why cheechdogs headlights are on during the day (referencing his video) when he has the fogs set as DRL's? And this is why his parks would be on at the same time I believe, because the headlights are on.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
This is getting way too confusing now Lol

I have LEDs everywhere on mine and switchbacks for the blinker/park bulbs (yellow for blinker white for park)

Now I can set the blinkers as DRL in Alfa and will have yellow blinkers on for DRL's (being the yellow side of the switchback bulb)
Park lights (the white side of the switchbacks) is not a option in Alfa for DRL's so that can't be set.
I can also set fogs, low, and high beams as DRL's and they work as they should (still no park lights with any of those which I wouldn't expect them to be on)

Now if I turn my headlights "on" for any reason I get the white park lights from the switchbacks which is to be expected and how the truck normally works (stock truck would be yellow parks with headlights on)

What I don't understand is why cheechdogs headlights are on during the day (referencing his video) when he has the fogs set as DRL's? And this is why his parks would be on at the same time I believe, because the headlights are on.

I'm 99% sure that when I had my quads in and had turns set to drl's that with the lasfit led switchbacks they lit up white. I remember wishing they were brighter. I know I only ran them as drl's for a short time then went to high beam. They functioned just as they should with the lights on.

So something is definitely going on with his truck. The video the all his lights were on, so either it was just dark enough for the auto lights to be on or they were turned on to show that the parking lights are white while on, and it got twisted to that being drl's or their is a wiring issue

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Hmm interesting. Either you had a glitch in the programming (check your data log and look for drl location) or (if you bought the truck used) that the previous owner did some creative wiring

I bought the truck brand new ... no error codes at all .... im stumped Bro lol ..

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I'm 99% sure that when I had my quads in and had turns set to drl's that with the lasfit led switchbacks they lit up white. I remember wishing they were brighter. I know I only ran them as drl's for a short time then went to high beam. They functioned just as they should with the lights on.

So something is definitely going on with his truck. The video the all his lights were on, so either it was just dark enough for the auto lights to be on or they were turned on to show that the parking lights are white while on, and it got twisted to that being drl's or their is a wiring issue

Here is the thing ram12 ... even with just the drls set for parking lights they stay white during the day ...

I will look into this more tomorrow after I get out of work ... my buddy is coming over again so we can figure this **** out because he is bummed out his doesn't do what mine does ... im seriously stumped ...

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is the thing ram12 ... even with just the drls set for parking lights they stay white during the day ...

I will look into this more tomorrow after I get out of work ... my buddy is coming over again so we can figure this **** out because he is bummed out his doesn't do what mine does ... im seriously stumped ...
Just to take any variables off the table (ambient light triggering headlights when in auto mode), what is the behavior of your lights when you have the headlight switch in the off position, and DRLs turned on in your radio settings- while in gear with the parking brake off?
Edit to add: and the fog lights off also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Just to take any variables off the table (ambient light triggering headlights when in auto mode), what is the behavior of your lights when you have the headlight switch in the off position, and DRLs turned on in your radio settings- while in gear with the parking brake off?
Edit to add: and the fog lights off also.

I will let you know tomorrow or Sunday when I get home from work ...

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Ok qan update on what I just found out... my parking breaks go on together with the drls and lows because my windshield is tinted.... that is the only thing we can think of since my buddies truck doesn't do the same thing with the exact set up on his...

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Ok qan update on what I just found out... my parking breaks go on together with the drls and lows because my windshield is tinted.... that is the only thing we can think of since my buddies truck doesn't do the same thing with the exact set up on his...

I guess if it's tinted enough that would trick the sensor into thinking it's dark out to turn the lights on. So technically you aren't using your drl's.

I guess you can change the sensitivity of the sensor through alfaobd. I'd give that a shot to see if your drl's will come on

I believe it's CBC Extern.Light- Auto headlamp on threshold

I'd check your log before changing it. You have to enter a number in and I don't know what the factory value is set at

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I guess if it's tinted enough that would trick the sensor into thinking it's dark out to turn the lights on. So technically you aren't using your drl's.

I guess you can change the sensitivity of the sensor through alfaobd. I'd give that a shot to see if your drl's will come on

I believe it's CBC Extern.Light- Auto headlamp on threshold

I'd check your log before changing it. You have to enter a number in and I don't know what the factory value is set at

No ... my drls do work ... i checked by setting my highs as drls and it worked... so i have now used every configuration possible for drls and it works.... lows... highs...parking and fogs...

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I agree with 1500RAM12. The tint is messing with the sensor so you will have to tweak the settings with AlfaOBD. But there may be a chance that it too will not be enough. Just for fun try to shine a bright light directly on the sensor to see what happens.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Forgot to upload this but here is how I wired in my Park lights to run off the dedicated line using my switchback bulbs. I spliced jumper wires from the dedicated line over to the park line and added diodes for protection. The connector I made the splice at is connector under the fuse box, that was the easiest place to get to the wires.
Then enabled the dedicated line in Alfa

Park DRL.jpg 0502201049.jpg 0502201108.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'm not disagreeing whether or not your drl's technically work. But if your windshield tint is tricking the auto headlight sensor in thinking it's darker than what it is then it'll override the drl's and turn your lights on. If you turn the headlight switch to off and all your lights come on when you engage drive then it's definitely an oddity in programming.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
1500ram12, i think earlier in the thread he mentioned turning the headlight switch to off which allowed the DRLs to operate properly.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
1500ram12, i think earlier in the thread he mentioned turning the headlight switch to off which allowed the DRLs to operate properly.

I thought he did but figured I'd reiterate it just in case