Adding DRL’s with AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CraigP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Using AlfaOBD, I’d like to add DRL’s to my truck, utilizing my turn signal running lamps. I followed the directions listed in Google Drive, but hit a stumbling block. The instructions state to select “Program Customer Features” as the procedure. Problem is, I don’t have that procedure listed when I get to that step in the app.

I don’t know if it makes a difference, but I have factory projection headlamps with LED turn signals/running lamps.

ED7C1B00-4131-49BC-B702-769CB4733400.jpeg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If I remember right I think that step adds the ability to turn drl's off through the radio. You can just skip it

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Use the parameter settings found in the known working list in the first post of the AlfaOBD thread:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

from the list:
DRLs: (Daytime Running Lights) For “Dedicated” DRLs (Rams with factory projectors) see post #7079

https://www.ramforum.com/posts/2032174/

CBC Features: DRL Configuration

Select “Optional DRL”

CBC Features: DRL Lamp location (several to choose from, high beam, low beam, fog lamp, dedicated and SRT Light Bar) Known working high beam, low beam, turn signal and fog lamp.

CBC Features: DRL Dropout Enabled

Select “yes”

ECU 3: DRL Customer Setting Enable/Disable

Select “yes”

Customer Service Menus: Daytime Running Lights CSM

Select “yes”

All of the above settings are under the Body Control configuration.

Don't use DRL drop out if your using the High or Low beams as DRLs.
I followed this and have the menu option on the radio to turn the DRLs On/Off

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Add some switchback leds for those turn signals and you will have nice bright white lights that switch back to the ambers when turning ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Isn't it a great feeling knowing you can now control certain features on your truck that the dealer cannot?

I fawken love my alfaobd ... just a couple of things I had asked the "stealerships" to change before I got mine totaled $500 if they went ahead and did it for me lol .... are you serious ! lol

You made a wise choice in getting alfaobd my friend ....

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Add some switchback leds for those turn signals and you will have nice bright white lights that switch back to the ambers when turning ...

Did you set the park lamps (which would be the white on the switchback) as the DRL's? I tried that but there is only a setting for the turn signals as DRL's in AlfaOBD? Was hoping to run the park lamps (white light) as DRL's and the yellow for the blinkers.
Right now it's white parking lights and yeloow blinkers and DRLs?

TX_F2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you set the park lamps (which would be the white on the switchback) as the DRL's? I tried that but there is only a setting for the turn signals as DRL's in AlfaOBD? Was hoping to run the park lamps (white light) as DRL's and the yellow for the blinkers.
Right now it's white parking lights and yeloow blinkers and DRLs?

Interested in this also. Wanted the white leds to be the DRL's and then dropout to the amber when the turn signal is used, then back to white again when turn signal is off.

From what I have read, with the switchbacks only the amber can be used as the DRL.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Interested in this also. Wanted the white leds to be the DRL's and then dropout to the amber when the turn signal is used, then back to white again when turn signal is off.

From what I have read, with the switchbacks only the amber can be used as the DRL.

Yeah, that's what it is looking like. Should have asked the question before I bought them. They are not doing what I want (and thought) they would do. The only option in Alfa is turn signals, park lamps are not listed so no way to make them DRLs from what I am seeing. :-(

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yeah, that's what it is looking like. Should have asked the question before I bought them. They are not doing what I want (and thought) they would do. The only option in Alfa is turn signals, park lamps are not listed so no way to make them DRLs from what I am seeing. :-(

Hmmm. I could have swore that when I had my quads in with switchbacks I had turns set as drl's and they lit up white. I remember wishing they were brighter

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hmmm. I could have swore that when I had my quads in with switchbacks I had turns set as drl's and they lit up white. I remember wishing they were brighter

I have the turn signals selected as DRL's and they are yellow. White when the park lamps are on and yellow again when blinking. They are pretty bright, just not the color I want for DRL's

I used these bulbs...

https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Extre...keywords=switchback+led&qid=1586825911&sr=8-4

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I have the turn signals selected as DRL's and they are yellow. White when the park lamps are on and yellow again when blinking. They are pretty bright, just not the color I want for DRL's

I used these bulbs...

https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Extre...keywords=switchback+led&qid=1586825911&sr=8-4

I have these

LASFIT CANBUS Anti Hyper Flash 3157 3057 4157 Dual Color Switchback LED Amber Turn Signal Light Blinker Bulbs, White Daytime Running Parking Light, No Load Resistor Need, Standard Socket(Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMST7T5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SlrLEbPFYWYYQ

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I emailed the AlfaOBD developer and asked if adding the park lamps as DRL in an option he can add. We'll see if I hear back?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I emailed the AlfaOBD developer and asked if adding the park lamps as DRL in an option he can add. We'll see if I hear back?

Another option would be to add the dedicated DRL wires and tie them to the park lamp circuits with two diodes. Then enable the DRLs as the dedicated settings.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Another option would be to add the dedicated DRL wires and tie them to the park lamp circuits with two diodes. Then enable the DRLs as the dedicated settings.

Not sure I want to go that far with it? I know I can make it work just don't need them that bad. I'll just go back to using the low or high beams. Just thought it would be cool if it worked in Alfa. I should have looked at the options before I installed them but no big deal either way. I mis-understood what one of the other guys posted, thought it was plug and play.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not sure I want to go that far with it? I know I can make it work just don't need them that bad.
If your truck originally came with Quads, it's not that hard to add the wiring for the DRL circuits. I bought the extended length wiring pigtails made up by M² Mods

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If your truck originally came with Quads, it's not that hard to add the wiring for the DRL circuits. I bought the extended length wiring pigtails made up by M² Mods

Yeah, I just don't need them that bad. (feeling lazy lol) I can simply go back to the low or high beams as DRLs.

And I would bet if I tied in to the park lights with the dedicated circuit, it would not shut off when the blinker was turned on? So I would have the white light possibly drowning out the yellow blinker a bit? Would have to verify that but I would bet that's what would happen.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, I just don't need them that bad. (feeling lazy lol) I can simply go back to the low or high beams as DRLs.

And I would bet if I tied in to the park lights with the dedicated circuit, it would not shut off when the blinker was turned on? So I would have the white light possibly drowning out the yellow blinker a bit? Would have to verify that but I would bet that's what would happen.

The DRL dropout enabled would take care of that.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The DRL dropout enabled would take care of that.

Wasn't sure if the dropout worked for the dedicated line as well since I have never tried it. I know it works for everything else so it probably does?