Adding DRL'S to ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wonder if I should leave my radio screen SRT splash active, they might be like...wtf

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
wonder if I should leave my radio screen SRT splash active, they might be like...wtf

Something like this may stand out, if the tech is attentive, so that may cause pause and a total default refresh of the BCM. Then again, they are mostly paid flat rate so they want to get in and get out as quickly as possible.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something like this may stand out, if the tech is attentive, so that may cause pause and a total default refresh of the BCM. Then again, they are mostly paid flat rate so they want to get in and get out as quickly as possible.

Ya I think I may set that back

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Just stating for reference. Every option I have provisioned using this tool works even after two recall visits and a UConnect software update on the last. YMMV but for me, there has not been an issue with the dealer overwriting my changes.

My situation was a bit different. Alpha would not add the on/off option on my 2016 at the time. In addition, my dealership did not charge me to activate my DRL’s. So, with nothing to gain from Alpha, plus free activation, my decision was a no brainer.

Also, my insurance company can now look my vin and see I have DRL’s activated. The discount is not a lot but I’ll take whatever they want to shave off.

Last edited:

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
While my truck is at the dealer for something else they mentioned the two recalls I am due for, Auto park and Restraint module. I have things changed through Alfa so we'll see what gets reverted back.

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Build sheet: What the truck came with from the factory showing the options. I haven't checked myself, but from what I remember, the manufacturers use to have a list of everything a vehicle has on a sheet, that they would place underneath one of the front seats.

Daytime Running Lights run at about 50% power that they would be normally. He was saying the DRL seems to be working at about 75% power level vs. 50% power level.

The daytime running light shuts off when the blinker is activated so that the turn signal can be seen by other drivers and not washed out by the DRL. With hazard lights activated, they normally do not shut off from what I've seen on other vehicles.

Thank you OC455!

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Q. What 'sheet from Mopar' do you have?

Q. Based on your 75% comment, what happens with the drl during the other 25% of the time?

I had read that a dril light going off when the turn signal activates is normal. Not sure I light that part of the feature.
Q. Do both lights go out if you turn on the hazard lights?

Thanks

See OC455’s reply to your questions!

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Ya I think I may set that back

Just got my truck back from the dealer and none of the settings I changed in Alfa were messed up. My DRL still function and all that.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my truck back from the dealer and none of the settings I changed in Alfa were messed up. My DRL still function and all that.

I went today too, no issues nothing changed

mikey517

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been reading about and researching DRL's here and other forums, and I've gotten to the point where my head is about to explode!! I am new to Rams, and not too tech savvy when it relates to vehicles and the computer systems. I apologize for my ignorance, but I need to ask for help.

I got my 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the Quad headlights in November. I'd like to have the DRL's. I spoke to the service guy where I bought the truck. He wasn't quite sure how to do it, and asked for the code sheet, and is willing to try.

1.- If they are activated by the dealer, which lights become the DRL? I've seen it said its the amber lights, or the headlights at lower power??

2 - Will the AlfaOBD work on a 2016 Ram? I've seen conflicting posts that there are problems on some trucks later than 2014, including not having access to the DRL ON/Off switch on the 8.4 screen.

I wouldn't mind using the AlfaOBD if its something an old dolt could accomplish!

Thanks

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been reading about and researching DRL's here and other forums, and I've gotten to the point where my head is about to explode!! I am new to Rams, and not too tech savvy when it relates to vehicles and the computer systems. I apologize for my ignorance, but I need to ask for help.

I got my 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the Quad headlights in November. I'd like to have the DRL's. I spoke to the service guy where I bought the truck. He wasn't quite sure how to do it, and asked for the code sheet, and is willing to try.

1.- If they are activated by the dealer, which lights become the DRL? I've seen it said its the amber lights, or the headlights at lower power??

2 - Will the AlfaOBD work on a 2016 Ram? I've seen conflicting posts that there are problems on some trucks later than 2014, including not having access to the DRL ON/Off switch on the 8.4 screen.

I wouldn't mind using the AlfaOBD if its something an old dolt could accomplish!

Thanks
I haven't heard of anyone with a 16 having issues activating the code. I believe ghost ram's truck is a 16 and his works fine. The truck's that don't have the CSM settings come up on the screen are the 13's. In many cases the dealer cannot turn on the code. If they are able to activate the code to the best of my knowledge the DRL's will default to the parking lights and I don't believe they can change it. The alpha tool is capable of changing the default location to high beam,low beam,fog light,blinker. I have enabled several with the tool with no issues. Nothing is guaranteed but I would say your best bet of turning them on is with the alpha tool. The biggest mistake I see people make is not following the directions and not enabling all the codes. Take your time and read and ask questions if your not sure. And also buy the correct OBD connector. I see so many people trying to use knockoff OBD connectors that won't work correctly and then they assume it's a problem with the alpha obd. Get the OBD Link MX. You will need it if you decide to use the alpha for other settings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mikey517

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Rick... I've researched till I'm paralyzed!..but you've answered the basic questions .
I already have the OBDLink+ in my Amazon cart... I can use it on my families cars. I also have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude with the 8.4 display radio, so I may have some options there.

Again, thanks for the help!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Rick... I've researched till I'm paralyzed!..but you've answered the basic questions .
I already have the OBDLink+ in my Amazon cart... I can use it on my families cars. I also have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude with the 8.4 display radio, so I may have some options there.

Again, thanks for the help!
You will be able to do tons of stuff with the tool. I don't think you will be disappointed. I don't keep up much with what the Jeep guys are doing but I know with your Ram Pickup you can pretty much turn on anything you want. My truck is an Express and I have pretty much every option available now. The tool is also great for checking DTC codes and other diagnostics. Of course if you use an iPhone you will need to either purchase an android device to download the app to it or get the windows version. I use the android version and I love it. A lot of guys just go buy an inexpensive tablet at Walmart to download the program on and then use that to program their truck. Once you download the program you can actually go in and look around when you're not even connected to your truck. I recommend you go in and find all the DRL settings that are outlined in the instructions so you know where they're at. Go in and familiarize yourself with the tool. If you are unsure ask before you change anything. There are a lot of people that monitor the alpha thread that are quick to answer questions if needed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mikey517

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey...is one of those options adding a center grid line on the backup camera? My Jeep has the center line and I'd like to add it to the Ram...

Nedap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've recently purchased a 2018 Ram Express and been reading several threads throughout the forum. Some very cool stuff out here. Anyway I was wondering if someone could post a link to the step by step instructions to enable the DRL.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

mikey517

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Nedap , just take you time. I spent 2 days doing dry runs with AlfaOBD while NOT connected to the OBDLink...and those printed steps in that link will be spot on!

Nedap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes indeed, I've been looking through a lot of information while waiting for my Security Module Bypass from Deereguy. I've already wired up some Putco Day Liners to parking lights and run them until I can turn on DRL. They look awesome, can't wait to have them come on automatically.

Bernd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a way to enable the DRL only in the Headlights? I dont want the DRL to be activated in the tail lights.